NSW Premier League Round 16 Review


The win, much deserved by Brian Brown?s men following their impressive run of form in recent weeks, opens a three-point gap over the Stallions at the top of the table.
At the opposite end of the ladder, West Sydney Berries remain glued at the bottom following another home loss, meanwhile Manly United FC?s slide continued despite the side still holding two catch-up matches to play.
Bonnyrigg White Eagles handed Sydney United at footballing lesson in their demolition job of the Edensor Park outfit at Bonnyrigg Sports Club. The White Eagles, who dominated from start to finish, scored three unanswered goals against their stern rival, consolidating their strong-hold on top-spot.
Jamie McMaster hit the home-side ahead on 10? minutes as he snuck in behind the Reds defence and left defender Jacob Timpano and goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic red-faced as he got in-between the two Sydney United players and toe-poked his effort past the goalkeeper for the lead.
Despite dominating the remainder of the half, Bonnyrigg needed to wait early in the second period to find their second. An exceptional counter-attacking move down the left-flank ? in what was probably Sydney United?s best moment of the match ? saw the White Eagles pick out Milorad Simonovic inside the penalty-area. The central midfielder did not need a second invitation as he drove his effort into the back of the net.
McMaster added the home-side?s third 14? minutes from the end when he took full advantage of some very static Sydney United defending. McMaster got into the penalty-area and rounded Janjetovic before coolly slotting the ball into the back of an empty net.
Bonnyrigg substitute Nathan Elasi spared Sydney United any further heartache when he squandered a golden opportunity in the closing stages to make it four.
A tremendous performance by Bonnyrigg with each player on the field maintained a tremendous level of concentration and performance throughout the 90? minutes.
At Marconi Stadium, the Stallions fell to their third loss in four rounds against Sutherland Sharks, allowing the White Eagles to extend their lead at the top of the table.
The Sharks took the lead in the 10? minute as Chris Price finished nicely past goalkeeper James Chronopoulos after receiving a nice pass from Scottish import Stephen McConalogue.
Sutherland extended their lead in the 22? minute as McConalogue added his name to the scorer?s list. A quick Sharks free-kick caught the Stallions defence napping, and McConalogue who was completely unmarked was able to turn and fire the ball into the back of the net.
Marconi pulled a goal back prior to the end of the first-half as Laurence Braude?s miscued effort across goal fell into the path of Matthew Hall. The former Sharks player reacted quickly to convert from close-range and re-open the contest.
Despite the home-side?s best efforts in the second-half, Sutherland Sharks remained well-organised and administered their lead well to secure three very valuable points on the road.
On Sunday afternoon at Belmore Sports Ground, Sydney Olympic brought a smile to the faces of their supporters with a convincing 3-0 defeat of Manly United FC. The win, highly deserved for the dominant performance of the Blues, lifts the side off the bottom of the table and may well be the change in fortune the side needs to make a final dash up the League ladder.
Sydney Olympic took the lead on 17? minutes as Matthew Mayora was on hand to finish with aplomb from close-range following an Iain Ramsey cross.
The home-side did not need to wait long to double their lead as Dimitri Petratos turned his marker, before beating another two defenders, to create the space to unleash a low-driven effort into the bottom corner of Brad Swancott?s goal.
The route was completed 10? minutes from time as Alan Kovacevic drove home a loose ball inside the Manly United penalty-area to round out the score.
Rockdale City Suns twice came from behind to take a share of the spoils against A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers at Bicentennial Park, Rockdale. The Tigers? 34? minute lead via Marton Vass was short-lived, as Pece Cvetanovski equalised for the home-side 2? minutes later.
Following the break, the Tigers immediately restored the lead courtesy of Anthony Hartshorn.
As has been the case on a number of occasions this season though, the Suns inspirational captain Peter Apolevski was on-hand to salvage his side with a well-taken goal. Apolevski converted from the penalty-spot for a share of the spoils.
Blacktown City FC kept the pressure on the top-two with a 3-1 defeat of West Sydney Berries at Sydney Olympic Athletic Centre. Gun striker Tolgay Ozbey led the way for the visitors with another brace to his name.
Ryo Maekawa?s ?go ahead? goal on 12? minutes was cut out by Ozbey via the penalty-spot, moments shy of the half-time break. The Berries were forced to play the final 50? minutes of the match with 10-men following the dismissal of Iain King, a task the side was unable to handle.
Ozbey grabbed his brace shortly after the re-start, before Ante Deur sealed the points 15? minutes from the end.
At WIN Stadium, South Coast Wolves and Bankstown City shared the spoils following a 1-1 draw in an entertaining encounter. The visiting Bankstown City squandered a golden chance to take the lead on 13? minutes when striker Hussein Salameh was brought down inside the penalty-area. The referee was quick to award the spot-kick, though Bankstown City goalkeeper Zlatko Joseski saw his effort saved by his opposite number Brody Crane.
The Wolves took the lead on the half hour as Tynan Diaz slotted home from the penalty-spot after Ali Haydar was adjudged of hand-balling inside the penalty-area. Despite both sides creating chances at both ends, another goal in the opening period was not forthcoming.
Bankstown City grabbed a share of the points 6? minutes from the end when Robbie Mileski slotted past Crane. The Lions number 10?s first effort hit a Wolves defender, though his follow-up attempt was well converted.
-By Joseph Carlucci