Parramatta FC stun Olympic at Belmore

Sydney Olympic FC v Parramatta Eagles FC action during Round 13 of PS4 NPL NSW Mens 1 at Belmore Sports Ground, Belmore, NSW on June 07, 2015. (Photo by Gavin Leung/G-shot Photography)

PARRAMATTA FC upset Sydney Olympic 1-0 at Belmore Sports Ground in a dour affair in what was the shock result of round 13.

The first half was a lacklustre one, with few opportunities for either team, although Olympic looked the more dangerous.


Their best chance came the way of Olympic young gun Jason Madonis who collected a ball just outside the box from a corner kick. Madonis took a crack at goal which looked on target, until it curved just to the outside of the post, keeping the score level a nil.


Another chance came for Olympic in the 34th minute as Taiga Soeda found his way into the box after a beautiful back heel from Micahel Gaitatzis and one on one with the Parramatta fullback, Soeda went down inside the box but his appeal for a penalty was denied by referee Katie-Louise Patterson.


On 53′ minutes, Parramatta won a free kick just outside the penalty area. Juan Chavez stepped up to take the free kick, the ball deflected off the  Olympic wall and carried on into the net, leaving Paul Henderson stranded and unable to react in time.


It put Parramatta into an unlikely lead and from there they never looked back.


The scenes of joy from the entire Parramatta squad as well as the bench were priceless soon after Chavez’ strike.


Olympic tried hard to create opportunities, but no clear cut chances came until it was too late.


Parramatta had a chance to seal the deal with only five minutes of normal time remaining.

Daniel Gullo made a run down the left flank and crossed the ball into the box, trying to find the outstretched leg of Daniel Rezo but he wasn’t able to stretch far enough and the chance went begging.


A final chance for Olympic to snag a draw came in injury time. A great ball was crossed into the box and found the head of Dimitri Hatzimouratis. The header was looking as if it would sail into the net but a good save from Luke Turnbull denied Olympic again.


After the match Parramatta’s coach Franco Cosentino expressed his joy with how his team played.


"We came with a game plan and I thought we executed it very well. We believed that we could get something and to turn it around from the first round where we lost 4-1, we’re very happy," he said.


"I told the boys as long as they don’t score first I always maintain we have a very strong defensive line up and we can always get the win. The first goal was crucial as it meant we didn’t have to open up as much."


Meanwhile a disappointed Grant Lee reflected on his team’s effort or lack thereof.


"We were in second gear the whole time, lacking in intensity and movement," he said.


"We had 70 percent possession but it’s what you do with it, and we didn’t do enough with it."


"The first goal was crucial, stupid foul then a massive deflection off the wall. You’ve got to be smart and we weren’t tonight."


Match Stats

Sydney Olympic 0
Parramatta FC 1 (Chavez 53′)

Sunday 7th June, 2015
Belmore Sports Ground, Belmore


Referee: Katie Louise Patterson
Assistant Referees: Lance Greenshields and Raymond Osbourne

Fourth Official: Adam Vainauskas
Sydney Olympic: Henderson, Spyrakis, Angel, Egger (Hooper 60′), Soeda (C), Shirai, H Gaitatzis, M Gaitatzis (Hatzimouratis 65′), Danaskos, Markovic, Madonis (Balderson 78′)
Substitutes Not Used: Sorge, Keir, Sadaka, Fondyke, Andrew
Yellow cards: Egger 43′
Parramatta FC: Turnbull; Chavez, Gatt (Gersbach 60′), Clowes, Sama (Rezo 85′) Schroeder, Speranza, Symons, Tayebi, Derazkala, Tsironis (Gullo 66′)
Substitutes not used: Wright, Martey, Cirjak, Vais, Grima
Yellow cards: Symons 40′ Turnbull 41′
Player Ratings:
3 – Juan Carlos Chavez (Parramatta)
2- Roberto Speranza (Parramatta)
1- Petar Markovic (Olympic)

– By Jack Hislop, PS4 National Premier Leagues NSW Men’s 1 Reporter, at Belmore Sports Ground