Working with Children Check

Mandatory Requirements for Clubs, Associations, Referee Branches, Futsal Clubs, Futsal Centres & Regional Branches

All FNSW Clubs, Associations (and their member clubs), Regional Branches, Futsal Clubs, Futsal Centres and Referee Branches with participants aged Under 18 years MUST comply with the following:

  1. REGISTER your organisation for the Working with Children Check
  2. OBTAIN the WWC Numbers of all of your workers and volunteers in child related roles
    • All paid roles working with children under 18, and
    • All volunteers working with children under 18, including coaches, managers, technical directors, youth coordinators, age coordinators, committee members, directors, MPIOs, trainers, physiotherapists, referees, referee coaches and mentors, chaperones, all officials on a team tour or involved in overnight stays or accommodation involving participants under 18 years, and any other role in football involving children under 18, unless exempt.
    • Exempt: Only workers and volunteers aged Under 18 years are exempt. Refer to FNSW WWCC Policy
  3. VERIFY the WWC Numbers of all of your workers and volunteers in child related roles in the NSW OCG Online Verification System
  4. RECORD the details of each worker’s details and WWC verification and keep on file – Download a verification record template

WWCC Requirements for Workers & Volunteers

If you are aged 18 years or over, and work or volunteer with children U18 years and do not hold a current WWC Number, then you will need to apply for a Working with Children Check and obtain a WWC Number before commencing the role.

  1. Complete the online application form – see below
  2. Take your email receipt, your proof of identity documents and fee (if applicable) to a Service NSW Centre.
  3. WWCC Screening process commences and once cleared your WWC Number is issued to you.
  4. Your WWC Number is received by email, give your WWC Number to your club (or wherever you are working or volunteering) to verify your WWC Number in the online verification system.
  5. Once your WWC Number is verified you are able to commence working/volunteering.

Working with Children Check Online Application

FNSW requires the following persons aged over 18 years to obtain a WWC Number and provide it the club, association, branch or referee’s branch they are applying to work or volunteer with:

  • All persons who are in a role working or volunteering with children under 18 years.
  • All coaches and managers working or volunteering with children under 18 years.
  • All technical directors working or volunteering with children under 18 years.
  • All referees, referee coaches and referee mentors (except those U18 years of age).
  • All administrators working or volunteering in a club that has participants U18 years.
  • All persons working or volunteering in a club who has access to the Registration Details or Database or personal details of participants or members U18 years.
  • All Directors and Committee Members of clubs etc. with participants aged U18 yrs.
  • All Member Protection Information Officers (MPIOs).
  • All persons working or volunteering at an overnight camp, tour or event which involves an overnight stay or overnight accommodation (of one night or more) with children under 18 years.  Includes overnight accommodation in motels, hotels, cabins, camping, group accommodation, air travel, train travel, bus travel.
  • All persons in any other child related roles in football working or volunteering with children U18 years.

All paid workers, working with children U18 must apply for a PAID Working with Children Check and their WWC Number MUST end in ‘E’ for employed.

Paid means any form of remuneration such as in cash, in kind, honorariums, allowances, gift vouchers, referee payment, reduced player fees and any other form of payment.

A Volunteer WWC must be held by persons over 18 who are volunteering with children U18.

A Paid WWC Number applies to both paid and volunteer work.

There are 2 ways to renew your Working with Children Check (WWCC), depending on how you choose to have your identification verified:

  • Online using face verification – instead of going into a Service NSW Centre to present your identity documents, you renew online and use your device to scan your face. The scan is matched with the photo used on your NSW Driver Licence or NSW Photo Card.
  • At a Service NSW Centre – you need to complete the Office of the Children’s Guardian (OCG) renewal application form, then visit a service centre within 28 days to present the original version of your identity documents and pay your fee if required.

For further information – Service NSW – Renew Your WWC Number

  • A ‘paid’ WWC costs $80
  • A ‘volunteer’ WWC is free

A WWC Number will need to be renewed every 5 years

A Working with Children Check is renewed every 5 years.

After completing a WWC application online, applicants will receive an APP (application) number. Applicants must then take their APP Number to a NSW Service Centre and show proof of identification to complete the application process. Applicants for a ‘paid’ WWC will also be required to pay $80 at the NSW Service Centre.

Applicants usually receive their WWC Number by email within 7 – 10 days after attending a NSW Service Centre. Some applications can be processed quicker, while others may take longer if further proof of ID or further information or checking is required.

  • Paid WWC Number – WWC123456E     (‘E’ is for employed)
  • Volunteer WWC Number – WWC1234567V    (‘V’ is for volunteer)

If you need to change the record of your name, gender, contact details or to upgrade from volunteer to paid status, you will need to complete a Change of Details Application with Service NSW.

Unfortunately, where a person aged over 18 is unable to satisfy the requirements of the NSW Working with Children Check or the FNSW WWC Policy requirements, they are not permitted to work or volunteer in a child related role within FNSW.

In football, most referees are paid to referee and paid referees are required to hold for a ‘paid’ WWC Number. Any form of remuneration in return for refereeing is deemed to be payment, including payment in cash or kind, allowances, gift vouchers or other forms of payment. The requirement to obtain a ‘paid’ WWCC still applies even if a referee claims his/her payments as a ‘hobby’ for tax purposes using a hobby declaration form. If income derived from refereeing is declared by the individual as taxable income, the cost of the WWCC may be tax deductible but the referee must obtain their own taxation advice in this regard. Referees who are volunteer referees and receive no payment or remuneration in return for refereeing can apply for a ‘volunteer’ WWC Number. Referee’s under 18 years of age are exempt and cannot apply for a WWC.

It is a mandatory requirement of FNSW that every club, association and referee branch has at a minimum of one (1) Member Protection Information Officer (MPIO).

Member Protection Information Officers

The simple answer is YES. The NSW OCG regularly audits clubs for compliance with the WWC Check. The WWCC has been in place since 2000, so there are no excuses for non compliance.

Failure to obtain WWC Numbers from workers and volunteers in child related roles, verify WWC Numbers obtained from your workers and volunteers, and keep a record of all WWC employee and volunteer verifications can result in significant Government fines and a non-compliance notification to NSW Police.

Failure by a worker or volunteer (who holds a WWC Number) to keep their personal details updated in the WWC system can result in a NSW Government fine.

It is a legal requirement that all clubs, associations, referee branches and individuals working or volunteering with children are compliant with the NSW Working with Children Check.

The NSW Office of the Children’s Guardian and Football NSW reserve the right to conduct compliance audits on any club, association, branch, futsal Club, Futsal Centre or referee branch operating under the auspices of FNSW.