Wolves howl over Sharks


THE South Coast Wolves were victorious 3-0 against Sutherland Sharks FC in round 14 of the PS4 National Premier League NSW Men’s 1 at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday afternoon.

A double from Brendan Griffin, either side of a Peter Simonoski penalty, ensured head coach Jacob Timpano picked up his first win as Wolves’ new coach.
In the third minute the first real chance fell to the Sharks when winger Aleksander Jovovic beat his man but could only manage a tame cross straight to the keeper.
Four minutes later the Wolves had a half chance as the ball came out to Zachary Mackenzie but his long-range effort went wide.
It was difficult for the home side to get into the box and another long range effort, this time from Jordan Murray, sailed over the cross-bar.
A minute later the Sharks had a great chance when Jordan Figon was left all alone in the box but he couldn’t connect with the header.
From the resulting corner Jovovic’s shot went straight at goalkeeper, Thomas Manos.
The wide man was in everything early and in the 13th minute won his side a corner but the visitors couldn’t capitalise as the Wolves cleared their lines.
In the 19th minute a free kick from captain Christopher Price was sent into the box towards the back post but the ball was eventually cleared.
Sutherland then went up the field and Figon was again left on his own but his header just went past the post.
All of Sutherland’s attack in the opening part of the game was going through Jovovic and in the 24th minute he had a shot that fizzed across goal and wide.
The Wolves finally got another chance on goal in the 29th minute but it was from long range as Griffin’s shot sailed over the bar.
Two minutes later the Wolves finally got into the box and after a scramble saw striker Simonoski have a shot from the six yard box saved by Sharks keeper, Andrew Depta.
Somewhat against the run of play the South Coast Wolves took the lead in the 34th minute when a shot from well outside the box from Griffin hit the underside of the bar and went in.
The goal shifted the momentum towards the home side and in the 39th minute Simonoski had a shot that was deflected just wide.
From the resulting corner, Sharks goalkeeper Depta was forced into a smart save.
The first yellow card of the game went to the Sharks in the 41st minute when defender James Mckenzie was booked for physical challenge in the air.
Right before half-time the Wolves had a great chance as Simonoski got one-on-one with the keeper but could only force a save out of him.
Back-to-back corners only ended with the Sharks going down the other end and almost scoring themselves but Figon could only hit his shot right at the goalkeeper as the Wolves went into the break with a 1-0 lead.
Not long after half-time Sutherland got their first chance when substitute Seongjin Park beat his defender but had his shot saved by the goalkeeper at the near post.
The Wolves recieved their first yellow of the game when defender Dhari Alsaad brought down a defender on his own side of half way.
It was another long range effort from the Wolves in the 49th minute when Murray tested the goalkeeper.
Shortly after another South Coast Wolves player went into the book as Sam Matthews caught Jovovic late.
In the 52nd minute the Wolves were awarded a penalty after Murray was brought down from behind in the box. It was a second bookable offence for James Mckenzie who was given his marching orders.  
Simonoski stepped up and went past the keeper for the 2-0 lead.
He almost had his second goal minutes later but his shot went straight at the custodian.
The pressure was really testing the visitors and it came to a head in the 75th minute when Griffin finished off a sweeping move as his shot cannoned across the goalkeeper.
The Sutherland Sharks went agonisingly close in the 81st minute from a corner when the ball found Jordan Figon but he could only put the ball wide after great pressure from Manos.
Another chance with minutes to play for fullback Jacob Tratt saw him head the ball just over the bar and put the nail in the coffin for the travelling side.
New head coach Jacob Timpano was proud of his team’s effort after only just taking over the team and was honoured to lead the side in Heritage Round, especially considering his history with the Wolves.
“I was pleased with the performance first and foremost and the effort the boys put in with my first week in charge. We changed a few things around and the boys executed it on the park which was pleasing,” he said.
“It’s a bit different sitting on the sidelines, at times it felt like I was out on the park but this club has meant a lot to me and I made my debut with the Wolves in the National Premier League at 16 so now to make my debut as coach of the club is a proud moment.”
“I grew up playing juniors and supporting the club and went on to play National League. I had my journey in the Hyundai A-League and came back to Wollongong so it’s in my blood.”
Match Stats
South Coast Wolves 3 (Griffin 34’, 75’, Simonoski 54’)
Sutherland Sharks FC 0
Sunday 14th June 2015
WIN Stadium, Wollongong

Referee: Christopher Young
Assistant Referees: Scott Edeling and Matthew Cassidy
Fourth Official: Adam Vainauskas
South Coast Wolves: Manos; Alsaad, Baldacchino, Griffin (Zucco 90’), Mackenzie, Murray (Lavalle 82’), O’Rourke, Price, Simonoski, Stojic (Proia 77’), Matthews
Substitutions not used: Fielding, Hamilton
Yellow Cards: Alsaad 48’, Matthews 49’, O’Rourke 58’, Manos 88’
Sutherland Sharks FC: Depta; Antoniou (Park 46’), Figon, Gordon, Hayes, Jovovic, Littler (Moustakas 46’), Mckenzie, O’Connell, Stergiou, Tratt
Substitutions not used: Caton, Mitwali, Roberts
Yellow Cards: McKenzie 41’, Moustakas 60’
Red Cards: McKenzie 52’
Player Ratings:
3- Griffin (SCW)
2-  Simonoski (SCW)
1- Jovovic (Sutherland)
– By Jake Bull, PS4 National Premier Leagues NSW Men’s 1 Reporter, at WIN Stadium