Round 15 – National Premier Leagues 3 NSW Men Review


The commencement of the 2018 FIFA World Cup had an inspired effect on the 2018 National Premier Leagues 3 NSW Men’s competition over the weekend, with the seven matches producing plenty of excitement and no less than 33 goals at an average of just shy of 5 goals per game.

Round 15 commenced on Friday night and ended at 7pm on Sunday night, with four home wins, two away wins, and only the one solitary stalemate.

Despite being one down at the break, Camden Tigers stormed home to defeat the Western NSW Mariners 4-1 at Bathurst; SD Raiders made very light work of bottom placed Fraser Park, winning 7-0 at Ernie Smith Reserve on Saturday night; Bankstown City took home all three points in a 4-2 triumph over Dulwich Hill at Arlington Oval; St George City FA hit Hawkesbury City for six in a dominating display at Fraser Park; Gladesville Ryde Magic took care of Granville Rage, winning 4-0 at Christie Park on Sunday afternoon on the back of a four-goal haul from striker, Michael Gaitatzis; Dunbar Rovers positive recent form was halted when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Inter Lions at Fraser Park on Sunday evening.

Football New South Wales visited the Sydney University Football Ground in Camperdown to watch the battle between Sydney University and Stanmore Hawks.




Friday night football had arrived at Camperdown, and what better way to end the working week with a competitive game of football in the NSW NPL3 competition at a fantastic venue.

In relation to the game itself, the home side, Sydney University, never got out of first gear as they brushed aside a lacklustre Stanmore Hawks, winning 3-0 in a dour affair at the Sydney University Football Ground.

Even though the third and final killer goal didn’t arrive until the final minute, two goals in the first half saw the ‘students’ in total control throughout, and they were never really stretched as they extended their unbeaten run to six games.

The game was barely 30 seconds old when Sydney Uni showed their intent. Michael Loupis forced an error with a chase down, the ball spilling loose for James Tsokos to latch onto, however his snapshot was deflected wide of the Stanmore goal.

Within a minute Sydney Uni went closer still, when skipper, Scott Tonkin, swivelled at the top of the box to produce a curling effort that was headed for the inside of the far post. Stanmore goal keeper, Nicholas Carosi, dived at full stretch to tip the ball around the upright.

A couple of early efforts on goal from Sydney University but Stanmore did not heed the warning signs, and paid the penalty in the 7th minute.

A ball was played down the guts to Scott Tonkin on the edge of the Stanmore box, and he laid it off first time to James Tsokos, who in turn slipped it in to space inside the left channel of the penalty area.

Jovan Blagojevic was the recipient, and he wasted no time in smacking a left foot shot into the net off the upright to give Sydney University a 1-0 lead.

The Hawks were shocked but the ‘students’ deserved their early lead, and the home side continued to toil away at finding more openings over the next half hour or so.

Stanmore did prise open a couple of opportunities themselves around the half hour mark, and it was the usual protagonist, Sam Awad, who was in the thick of things.

On 25 minutes, Awad got on the end of a Manoli Nicolaou diagonal free kick, but he sliced his header wide of the Sydney University goal.

Awad had an even better opportunity in the 31st minute, but he just couldn’t reach Jonah Caragher’s excellent pass that raced across the face of the Sydney Uni goal.

Sydney University then extended their lead in the 38th minute, and it was another neat combination in the final third that produced the goal.

Another ball down the middle was once again well laid off by Scott Tonkin just outside the Stanmore penalty area, and Michael Loupis hit a first time, left foot half volley that whistled into the bottom corner of the net, leaving Stanmore keeper, Nicholas Carosi, rooted to the spot.

Referee, Jerry Bitas, blew his half time whistle shortly afterwards, allowing the fans to enjoy the amenities available at this fantastic venue.

The second half dried up in terms of football action, with Sydney University content to soak up anything the Hawks could muster, and that in itself wasn’t much at all if truth be told.

Alec Caragher did go close however in the 58th minute after a Stanmore corner was cleared to him outside the penalty box, his fierce half volley dropping just inches over the Sydney Uni cross bar.

The Caragher boys, Alec and Jonah, were in fact two of Stanmore’s better players on the night, applying themselves to the cause with energy and effort, but unable to break the stern Sydney Uni rearguard.

The second half deteriorated very much in to a stop start affair, with both coaches clearing their benches in an effort to spark the proceedings.

But six substitutions and a couple of yellow cards did nothing for the fluency of the match.

Sydney Uni’s Michael Loupis had a pot shot on 66 minutes, swivelling past a Stanmore challenge before his effort looped just over the Hawks’ cross bar.

Stanmore responded with a good chance on 68 minutes, but Rami Alassmi blasted over from the edge of the Uni penalty area after a neat lay off by substitute, Vic Koutsoufis.

If it wasn’t over prior, Sydney University put the game well and truly to bed in the 89th minute with a clinically finished goal.

Uni substitute, Samuel Mehmet, received the ball in the right channel, and played a give and go with Michael Loupis, with Loupis slipping a perfectly weighted ball in behind the static Stanmore defensive line.

No one had tracked Mehmet’s run, and he duly finished, slotting the ball past a bewildered Nicholas Carosi in the Stanmore goal to make it 3-0 and wrap up proceedings.

It was a disappointing effort overall from Stanmore, who found it difficult to penetrate the Sydney University backline, giving Uni keeper, Charlie Fanner, a reasonably easy night. The loss sees Stanmore remain in 10th spot on 15 points.

For Sydney University, it was a continuance of their recent upsurge in form.

Following a mid season coaching change, and subsequent change of playing personnel,  Sydney University have well and truly turned their season around.

The ‘students’ look particularly potent in the front third with a strong combination of speed, skill and experience, reflecting the key strengths of Jovan Blagojevic, Michael Loupis, and skipper, Scott Tonkin.

The undefeated run has produced 14 points in 6 games, including wins over top five combatants, Gladesville Ryde Magic, SD Raiders and Bankstown City Lions, a run that now puts Sydney University on the cusp of the top half of the ladder in 9th spot on 20 points.


National Premier Leagues 3 NSW Men’s

Round Fifteen: Friday, June 15, 2018

SYDNEY UNIVERSITY: 3 (Blagojevic 7’, Loupis 38’, Mehmet 89’)


Referee: Jerry Bitas

Assistant Referees: Jon Blower and Aidan Lee


1.C.Fanner, 11.J.Blagojevic (13.P.Gotsis 48’), 20.L.Flack, 17.P.Kardasis, 23.M.Loupis, 6.D.Mifsud (36.S.Mehmet 64’), 18.B.Serafin, 14.N.Sharpley, 9.S.Tonkin (capt) (19.T.Bowman 73’), 12.J.Tsokos, 33.F.Worrall.

Substitutes Not Used: 21.O.Gibson, 4.J.Karpes.

Yellow Cards: 6.D.Mifsud 57’, 9.S.Tonkin 65’.

Red Cards: Nil


19.N.Carosi, 11.R.Alassmi (25.D.Monro 72’), 8.S.Awad 4.C.Bottalico (capt), 5.H.Brown, 12.A.Caragher, 17.J.Caragher, 18.S.Georgiou (3.T.Masch Marchiori 77’), 29.J.McMenamie, 16.J.Moro (6.V.Koutsoufis 62’), 14.M.Nicolaou.

Substitutes Not Used: 31.D.Vaccaro, 21.C.Dionisopoulos

Yellow Cards: 16.J.Moro 37’,

Red Cards: Nil


Western NSW Mariners – Camden Tigers 1-4

Camden Tigers came from being a goal down at the break to overcome the Western NSW Mariners 4-1 at Proctor Park in Bathurst.

The Mariners took the lead in the first period, and they were hopeful going in to the sheds for half time that this could be the day they crack it for that elusive win.

Although Camden had other ideas, and came out in the second half full of vigour to record a comfortable victory in the end.

Danny Martinez, Blake Szumski and Nicholas Mugridge were amongst the scorers for the visitors, a victory that sees Camden climb to 22 points on the ladder in 8th spot, but with an important game in hand on those teams above them.


SD Raiders – Fraser Park 7-0

SD Raiders made very light work of bottom placed Fraser Park at Ernie Smith Reserve on Saturday night, winning 7-0 in a canter.

Six different players found the net on the night for the Raiders in a true team performance, with Tyrone Gatt nabbing a brace.

The other goal scorers for the Raiders included Shaun Irwin, John Fahmi, Lucas Rossi, Sebastian Malfara, and Mathew Barkho.

The win and three points sees the Raiders move to 27 points, and are now sitting in 5th spot on the ladder.


St George City FA – Hawkesbury City 6-0

St George City FA sent a very clear and chilling message to the rest of the competition, dismantling their nearest challengers, second placed Hawkesbury City, by 6-0 in a dominating display at Fraser Park on Saturday night.

Such was the complete performance from the home side, St George City FA registered six different goal scorers on a night when they raced to a 4-0 lead by half time, before going on with it after the break.

The match started in explosive fashion when Geoffry Lino was brought down in the penalty area in the opening minute after latching on to a great through ball by Musashi Kokubo.

James Spanoudakis slotted the spot kick past Hawks’ keeper, Daniel Schwarzer, to give St George City just the start they craved.

Daniel Morsillo had two great opportunities to draw the Hawks level shortly afterwards, but St George City FA keeper, Chris Marques, denied the striker his first attempt, whilst Morsillo missed the target with his second effort.

St George City FA extended their lead on 26 minutes, following a free kick some 40 yards out from goal. Kyoji Mori swung the set piece in to the mixer, with the Hawks clearing the danger – or so they thought – to the edge of the box.

Kerim Kumsuz was waiting just outside the box and drilled a sweet first time volley low and hard into the bottom right corner of Daniel Schwarzer’s goal for 2-0.

St George City FA increased the pressure and took control of the game after that second goal, and continued take it to the Hawks’ defensive line by creating more and more opportunities.

It was soon 3-0 on 36 minutes, following a left footed inswinging corner by Kyoji Mori.

Again the Hawks defence cleared their line and again there was a St George City FA playing in wait, but this time it was James Spanoudakis who connected with a fierce volley that crashed against the right upright and bounced back towards the 6-yard box. Flanker, Sam Messam, was the first to react, heading the ball into the net for 3-0.

It soon became 4-0 for the home side, just 3 minutes out from half time.  Sam Messam forced a turnover before passing to Musashi Kokubo on the left side of the Hawkesbury penalty area.

Kokubo dribbled towards the goal line before cutting the ball back in to the path of Alex Euripidou who calmly slotted the ball into the bottom right corner of the goal, sending the St George City FA contingent in to delirium.

A desperate Hawkesbury City came out after the break keen to make something of the match, and should’ve pulled a goal back within minutes of the restart. An unmarked Daniel Morsillo missed the target from close range after connecting with a volley following a perfectly weighted free kick.

The Hawks built from that opportunity but were punished for pushing men in attack when St George City hit them with a sucker punch on 52 minutes.

Musashi Kokubo won possession outside his own penalty area before playing a first time long ball to team mate, Geoffry Lino, who was man to man with a Hawks defender just over the halfway line. Lino won the dual, before calmly slotting the ball past Hawks custodian, Daniel Schwarzer to extend the score to 5-0.

St George City weren’t quite finished, and made it 6-0 on 72 minutes following a great run at goal by Geoffry Lino. Approaching the penalty area at speed, Lino attracted a swarm of Hawkesbury defenders who ignored the overlapping run of Kyoji Mori. Lino slipped a pass in to his path, and Mori took a touch before drilling a venomous strike past Schwarzer in to the Hawkesbury net to round off proceedings.

All in all, it was one of those nights for Hawkesbury City when things went from bad to worse, and in fact, if it wasn’t for keeper, Daniel Schwarzer, the defeat would definitely have been heavier.

The loss sees Hawkesbury City remain on 30 points, but they drop to third spot as Bankstown City overtake them on goal differential.

For St George City FA it was the perfect way to rebound following last week’s defeat at the hands of Dunbar. High intensity at training produced a tireless effort from the whole team, reflected by the fact they had six different scorers on the night.

The win sees St George City FA retain top spot on the NSW NPL3 competition ladder on 35 points, but importantly, they now have a 5 points lead over both Bankstown City and Hawkesbury City who are 2nd and 3rd respectively on 30 points.


Dulwich Hill – Bankstown City 2-4

Bankstown City returned to the winner’s list with a 4-2 victory over Dulwich Hill on Saturday night at Arlington Oval.

Bankstown edged themselves in front when Tiano Boutoubia’s far post free kick was headed back across the face of goal by Alex Do Pao for Nikola Todorovski to slot home.

Dully equalised when the experienced Gosue Sama connected with a cut back first time to make it 1-1.

Bankstown City went back in front before the break after Lawrence Hanna raced on to a Lachlan Willmore through ball before slotting past Dully keeper, Michael Frost, to push the score to 2-1.

Jeff Issa extended Bankstown’s lead to 3-1 after half time, and Todorovski almost made it 4-1 shortly afterwards, although Dulwich Hill custodian, Michael Frost, was equal to the task and produced an amazing series of saves to deny the Bankstown skipper.

Dulwich Hill puled a goal back shortly afterwards via Ethan Bardsley, and were pushing hard for an equaliser, only denied by the efforts of Bankstown’s keeper, Carl McMahon, who produced a couple of efforts to keep his side in front.

Bankstown City put the game to bed when Alex Do Pao met Lawrence Hanna’s through ball to slam the ball in to the roof of the net to make it 4-2.

The loss continues Dully’s woes, the loss being their third on the trot as they remain in 7th spot on 23 points, with both Camden Tigers and Sydney University now within arm’s length just below them on the ladder.

Bankstown City have taken advantage of Hawkesbury City’s loss to climb above the Hawks, moving on to 30 points and now into 2nd position on goal differential.


Gladesville Ryde Magic – Granville Rage 4-0

Gladesville Ryde Magic survived some early scares to eventually run out comfortable winners over Granville Rage on Sunday afternoon to the tune of 4-0. Michael Gaitatzis was the hero for the home side, netting all four goals in a masterful display of finishing.

Granville made some early inroads, especially via Junior Mushaba down the left hand side whose speed was causing Gladesville some problems.

In fact, Granville had a great opportunity to open the scoring when they were awarded an indirect free kick due to a mistimed back pass, but Magic keeper, Kiriakos Tohouroglou, smothered the close range effort to keep the visitors at bay.

Shortly afterwards Michael Gaitatzis was brought down in the Granville penalty area, and he dusted himself off before converting the spot kick to give Gladesville Ryde Magic a 1-0 lead which they carried in to the half time break.

Magic extended their lead soon after they returned from their rest when Chris Triantis produced a delightful cross for Michael Gaitatzis to slot into the back of the Granville net, giving the home side a 2-0 lead.

It was a remarkable piece of counter attacking football that produced both Gladesville’s and Michael Gaitatzis’ third goal.

After making a rudimentary save, Magic keeper, Kiriakos Tohouroglou, dispensed a long ball to Peter Voukidis, who crossed the ball for Michael Gaitatzis to slot home goal number three.

Chris Tomaras almost got in on the act after entering the fray, when he created space for himself inside the box with his first touch before striking a great effort that bouncedto safety off the Granville upright.

Michael Gaitatzis completed the day’s proceedings with his and his team’s fourth goal, converting after great lead up work on the right by Johnny Martinez.

The win and subsequent three points moves Gladesville Ryde Magic into 4th spot on the ladder on 29 points.


Inter Lions – Dunbar Rovers 1-1

Inter Lions put up a brave effort to hold Dunbar Rovers to a 1-1 draw on Sunday evening at Fraser Park.

The Rovers have been in great form of late with some big scalps, and were confident of another three points here, especially when Cristian Garces gave them a first half lead with a shot that went in off the upright.

But Inter Lions fought back after the break looking to equalise, and Christopher Lawson did just that on 71 minutes, heading home after connecting to a Jacob Di Mento free kick.

The point puts Inter on 13 points, remaining in 12th spot on the ladder, whilst Dunbar move to 27, but have dropped to 6th spot in the process.