Round 19 – National Premier Leagues 3 NSW Men’s Review


The National Premier Leagues 3 NSW Men’s competition produced the usual dose of surprises and plenty of goals as Round Nineteen came to a close late on Sunday evening.

Western NSW Mariners continued Dulwich Hill’s woes with a 2-1 victory in Orange on Saturday afternoon; Sydney University took  Dunbar Rovers to the cleaners with a 5-0 thumping at the Uni Football Ground on Saturday night; Stanmore Hawks and Granville Rage shared four second half goals as well as the points in a 2-2 stalemate at Arlington Oval; SD Raiders and Hawkesbury City produced a fiercely contested scoreless draw at Ernie Smith Reserve on Saturday night; St George City FA saw off the challenge of Gladesville Ryde Magic, winning 3-0 at Christie Park on Sunday afternoon; Bankstown overcame Inter in the battle of the ‘Lions’ on Sunday night at Fraser Park.

Football New South Wales made our way to Marrickville to witness the match between Fraser Park and Camden Tigers.


Match of the Round – Fraser Park FC vs Camden Tigers 1 -6

Despite being competitive early, Fraser Park succumbed to a clinical Camden Tigers who turned a 2-1 half time lead in to a 6-1 drubbing on Saturday night in Marrickville.

Both sides traded goals and numerous opportunities in the opening half, before Camden changed gears, making the most of some ill-discipline on Fraser’s part to take all three valuable points on offer.

Camden showed their intent as early as the second minute, when Mitchell Brooker steered his close range header over the cross bar following Jayden Russell’s inswinging corner.

Fraser’s Gerbe Magela then won possession on 7 minutes on the right wing, before racing away and delivering a fierce cross that was cleared by Camden’s Jack Harris, under pressure from the Fraser attackers with the ball flashing past his own upright.

However Camden responded by taking the lead within sixty seconds, and it was clinical piece of counter attacking play.

Dean Mugridge chased a long ball in to the left pocket, and dispossessed a Fraser defender with sheer will power. Mugridge had the presence of mind to square the ball for the supporting Stephen Lloyd, and the big number nine hit a first time left foot shot in to the roof of the net past Fraser’s keeper, Mark Villaescusa.

Camden kept at it and it was Jayden Russell’s turn to fire in a shot on 12 minutes, the ball clearing the Fraser cross bar from the edge of the box after great work by the overlapping Aaron Farringdon down the right flank.

Although Camden were caught with a sucker punch in the 13th minute, when a long ball caught the Tigers’ backline square. Fraser Park’s Diogo Andrade latched on to the ball, before calmly squaring for Anthony Vallelonga, who couldn’t miss from a couple of yards, making it 1-1.

A goal apiece early on was just reward as both sides tried to take the game by the scruff of the neck and race to an early advantage.

Fraser Park were swift in their passing, showing great technique on the ball, lead by some neat touches from David von Dinklage and Gerbe Magela, whilst Camden Tigers were well structured to snuff out most of the home team’s attacks, slowly beginning to come in to their own as the game wore on.

Fraser Park were then presented with two wonderful opportunities just before the half time break, but fluffed both of them much to the disappointment of the home fans.

Fraser striker, Diogo Andrade, was played in to space inside the Camden penalty area in the 42nd minute, but his low shot was brilliantly parried point blank by David Harris in the Camden goal.

Andrade then took the ensuing corner, swinging a great ball in to the mixer, only for David Muller to somehow skew his header wide from right in front with the goal gaping.

From having two opportunities to take the lead, Fraser somehow managed to find themselves a goal down before the half time whistle.

Following some good work by Dean Mugridge, the ball landed at the feet of Jayden Russell just inside the Fraser Park penalty box. Russell showed all of his predatory instincts to crack a firm shot that flew in to the net off the inside of the far post, even though Fraser Park custodian, Mark Villaescusa, managed to get his finger tips to the ball on its way in.

The half time whistle came seconds later to give the players some well-earned reprieve, with Camden Tigers in the box seat leading 2-1.

With semi final aspirations at stake, Camden Tigers came out of the sheds with renewed determination after the break, and coupled with ill-discipline on the part of the home side, raced away to score four unanswered goals and take all three points on offer.

Just 4 minutes in to the second half, Fraser Park defender, David Muller, fouled Camden striker, Jayden Russell, inside the penalty area, presenting Camden with a penalty kick.

Russell sent Villaescusa, the Fraser goal keeper, the wrong way, to convert, extending the visitors’ lead to 3-1.

Fraser Park then conceded another spot kick on 61 minutes following a reckless challenge by Arthur Gavriil. Jayden Russell blasted the penalty home to notch his hatrick, recording his 23rd goal of the season in the process, storming to the leadoff the league’s goal scoring charts.

Fraser Park had lost their way by this point, with some poor choices in their final passing resulting in constant turn overs of possession.

Fraser Park threw the experienced Anthony Musumeci in to a more attacking role from his starting position at right back, but it was to little avail as it was Camden who dominated possession as the game wore on.

In fact, Camden’s experienced central defender, Matty Viera, played the role of the conductor in a stern defensive display from the Camden backline, often stopping any Fraser forays in the front third with some well-read interceptions.

Mitchell Brooker made it 5-1 to Camden in the 71st minute, netting with a low drive from inside the Fraser Park penalty area after a quick cross field move gave Camden a one man overlap on the right side.

Camden then brought up an even half dozen with arguably the goal of the match in the 84th minute.

Camden’s goal keeper, David Harris, released a quick throw that reached Stephen Lloyd on the corner of the half way line and right flank.

Lloyd unleashed a superb volleyed cross field pass that reached Bailey Simpson on the left wing, and Simpson then played in Mitchell Brooker in space in front of him. Brooker smacked a low cross-shot across the face of goal for Stephen Lloyd – who had continued his supporting run from half way – to stab home from close range.

It was Lloyd’s 2nd and Camden’s 6th goal of the evening, and a delightful way to round off the evening’s proceedings.

The loss means Fraser Park remain rooted to the base of the competition ladder. But Fraser did show signs of improvement, with some swift technical ability and neat touches in transition. The final pass in the front third was often found wanting, whilst ill-discipline from a defensive responsibility point of view was a factor in their undoing against Camden.

The win and subsequent three points was a most welcome outcome for Camden Tigers, with six wins in their past seven matches catapulting them in to equal 5th position on 34 points.

Camden Tigers are a well-structured unit, very competitive and defensively fierce, and in Jayden Russell, they have a goal scoring centre forward with 23 goals to his name and counting, and someone who expects to score every time he enters the field.

For a side that was promoted to this division this year, Camden Tigers are having a successful season and will prove a formidable foe for any opponent in the run in towards finals football.


National Premier Leagues 3 NSW Men’s

Round Nineteen – Fraser Park, Marrickville, Saturday, July 14, 2018

FRASER PARK 1 (Vallelonga 13’)

CAMDEN TIGERS 6 (Lloyd 12’ / 84’, Russell 45’ / 49’ pen / 61’ pen, Brooker 71’)

Referee – Chris Hughes

Assistant Referees – Raymond Osborne and Nick Farmer


1.M.Villaescusa, 49.D.Andrade, 3.A.Cimino, 2.A.Gavriil, 18.J.Goldsmith, 19.G.Magela, 5.N.Mouzourakis(capt), 4.D.Muller (27.J.W.Henderson 52’), 17.A.Musumeci, 15.A.Vallelonga (21.R.Pascale 80’), 8.D.Von Dinklage (10.A.De Brito 46’).

Substitutes Not Used – 20.W.Estevao, 32.D.Siu.

Yellow Cards – 15.A.Vallelonga 17’, 2.A.Gavriil 61’.

Red Cards – Nil



1.D.Harris, 18.M.Brooker, 6.S.Doherty (capt), 2.A.Farringdon, 24.J.Harris, 37.C.Law (17.N.Mugridge 57’), 9.S.Lloyd, 15.D.Mugridge (31.E.McGuire 66’), 16.J.Russell (27.D.Scott 75’), 13.B.Simpson, 4.M.Viera.

Substitutes Not Used – 20.M.Johnston, 5.B.Szumski.

Yellow Cards – 2.A.Farringdon 63’.

Red Cards – Nil


Western NSW Mariners – Dulwich Hill 2-1

The Western NSW Mariners registered their second win of the 2018 campaign with a 2-1 victory over Dulwich Hill on Saturday afternoon in Orange.

The Mariners however suffered a blow early on when young striker, Jayden Culbert, was substituted after he was on the receiving end of a fierce challenge, resulting in a shuffling of positions up front for the home side.

The home fans were up off their chairs shortly afterwards when Kenny McCall played Adam Scimone in to space on the left wing.

Scimone beat a Dully defender by cutting inside, and let fly with a grass cutter from the top of the box that was well parried by Dully’s keeper, Michael Frost. McCall continued his run but was unlucky not to convert the rebound.

Scoreless at the break, but that didn’t last long.

Ryan Campbell – who had just played a full game in the U20s for the Mariners – latched on to a super pass by Kenny McCall, and he nailed his shot low and hard in to the bottom corner to give the Mariners the lead.

The home side had their ends up, and doubled their advantage shortly afterwards.

Kenny McCall was at the centre of all the Mariners attacks, and he delivered a perfectly weighted corner which was met by Paul Longs, who nailed his header past Dully keeper, Frost, to make it 2-0.

Dulwich Hill threw caution to the wind in a desperate attempt to drag themselves back in to the game, and they did just that when Harry Browell netted.

Although Dully’s chances of getting something out of the match vanished moments later when Ben Vidaic was sent from the field for a rash challenge, and the Mariners held out the ten-man Dully to clinch the win.

The loss continues a horror run for Dulwich Hill, being their 6th loss in their past 7 outings, a run which sees them remain in 9th position on the ladder on 24 points.

On the other hand, the victory and subsequent three points puts the Western NSW Mariners on to 11 points, still in second last spot, but now with a 4 point gap over Fraser Park who are at the foot of the table.


Sydney University – Dunbar Rovers 5-0

Sydney University continued on their merry way with a 5-0 drubbing of Dunbar Rovers at the Sydney University Football Ground on Saturday night.

With both sides sitting just outside the top five finals spots, it was a real six pointer, but the game was a one sided affair from the outset.

The home team started like a steam train with a very high tempo and pace to their play.

Syd Uni had already created a few chances before they eventually broke the deadlock when a stinging Daniel Mifsud free kick cannoned off the cross bar and the predatory Scott Tonkin was on hand to head home the rebound.

Dunbar responded by creating a few half chances, mainly through the efforts of their playmaker, Ryan O’Shaughnessy, who was excellent on the night in a losing outfit.

The “students” however extended their lead shortly afterwards with a wonderful team goal. After some smart interplay, Michael Loupis played in the overlapping Daniel Barrett, and the full back’s slide rule pass across the box was tapped home by the lurking Scott Tonkin to make it 2-0 to Sydney Uni, a lead they held until half time.

Dunbar came out with renewed vigour in the second period and almost reduced the deficit when former Sydney Uni player, Michael Sealy, hit the outside of the upright with a close range far post header.

It was to prove the away side’s best chance though, and moments later Sydney Uni further extended their lead when Michael Loupis played a perfectly weighted through ball to Panayoti Gotsis, and the young winger slid the ball home for 3-0.

Three quickly became four when another smart through ball, this time from Nathaniel Sharpley, found Gotsis in space and he lobbed the advancing Dunbar keeper, Luke Del Vecchio, before tapping into the empty net to snare his brace.

Things got a lot worse for Dunbar moments later when substitute, Ruben Mendes, was issued a straight red card for alleged foul play.

Sydney University took advantage of the extra man, completing the rout in the final moments when they were awarded a penalty.

Loupis stepped up but young Dunbar keeper, Del Vecchio, made a great save to deny the Uni attacker. However the referee ordered a retake after encroachment from a Dunbar player in to the penalty area, and this time Loupis made no mistake, calmly rolling the ball in to the net.

The loss ends a disastrous week for Dunbar Rovers, having now suffered two consecutive heavy losses, conceding 12 goals over the two games. As a result, they remain on 28 points, but drop to 8th position.

Contrasting fortunes for Sydney University, having now extended their unbeaten run to 10 games, no less, with 6 wins and 4 draws amongst those results. The win and three points means that Sydney Uni hurdle Dunbar Rovers in to 7th spot on 28 points, as the ‘students’ begin to eye that coveted finals position.


Stanmore Hawks – Granville Rage 2-2

Stanmore Hawks and Granville Rage played out a stalemate at Arlington Oval, with the two sides sharing four goals in a 2-2 draw on Saturday night.

The two sides came in to the match separated by a point, and the closeness of the game was evident from the outset, with the teams locked at 0-0 at the break.

Stanmore’s go to man, Sam Awad, however, opened the scoring on 57 minutes to give the Hawks the lead they so craved, but Andres Sanchez Bustos gave the visiting fans plenty to cheer about, equalising for Granville in the 75th minute, before edging the Rage in to the lead with just five minutes remaining.

However Granville couldn’t hold on, and Stanmore skipper, Cristian Bottalico, found a way through the Rage defence to net an equaliser for the home side in the 90th minute.

The draw has meant that Stanmore remain in 12th spot on 16 points, whilst Granville Rage move to 10th position on 17 points.


SD Raiders – Hawkesbury City 0-0

The SD Raiders and Hawkesbury City played out a scoreless stalemate on Saturday night in freezing conditions at Ernie Smith Reserve.

On a difficult playing surface, the Raiders looked the side most likely to score as Hawkesbury sat back to soak up the pressure.

Following a disallowed goal by the visitors, the Raiders had a great chance to break the deadlock when they awarded a penalty.

Raiders’ in form striker, Daniel Bittar – who found the net four times in last week’s 7-1 drubbing of Dunbar – attempted a ‘Panenka’, but Hawkesbury’s keeper, Daniel Schwarzer, was up to the task and parried the effort.

Hawkesbury City were then dealt a bitter blow in the second half when playmaker, Sebastian Gallegos Berriel, was controversially sent off for a second yellow card, leaving his team to battle on with ten men.

The two teams then settled down for a point apiece, an outcome which sees Hawkesbury City move to 3rd on 37 points, whilst the Raiders remain in 5th spot but move to 34 points.


Gladesville Ryde Magic – St George City FA 0-3

St George City FA took home the spoils in the clash of the heavyweights at Christie Park, defeating Gladesville Ryde Magic 3-0 on Sunday afternoon.

With three points separating the two sides at the top of the competition, it was always going to be an eagerly contested battle, and it proved so with neither side giving an inch in the early exchanges.

St George City created the game’s first opportunity, with Musashi Kokubo climbing high in the 8th minute to loop his header wide of the mark.

Both sides were fierce in the tackle as they held firm defensively, with Kokubo at it again on 14 minutes, his header once again failing to find the mark for the visitors.

Gladesville responded with a long range strike by skipper, Chris Gaitatzis, on 18 minutes, the effort well dealt with by St George City custodian, Chris Marques.

Although St George did edge themselves in front on the half hour mark, with Paul Turrin connecting with an Alvaro Malmeirca free kick to head powerfully into the back of the Magic net.

Gladesville went close to equalising at the 36 minute mark, when Johnny Martinez unleashed a powerful strike from all of 25 metres that narrowly missed the St George upright.

There was no more goalmouth action before the half time whistle as the two teams took a well-earned break with St George City FA leading 1-0.

Michael Gaitatzis has been in scintillating form for Gladesville in recent weeks, and he threatened on 49 minutes, with his free kick though easily gobbled up by Marques in the St George goal.

St George held the upper hand with the lead on the scoreboard, and it was up to Magic to come at them to grab something out of the game.

Gladesville threw on the experience of Chris Tomaras and Chris Triantis in an attempt to give them more in the front third, but St George City FA held firm in defence, and struck twice in cobra like fashion late on to clinch the spoils.

Defending a Gladesville corner, St George keeper, Chris Marques, released the ball downfield and launched a counter attack for the visitors. Emanuel Koumis played in Reno Zenari who netted clinically, the two substitutes combining effectively indeed.

With minutes remaining on the clock, another counter attack resulted in Sam Messam this time finding Koumis, and he curled a sweetly struck effort up where the spiders live to round off proceedings at 3-0.

Missing Alex Euripidou, Luke Burke and Geoffry Lino from the lineup, it was an especially pleasing effort from St George City FA, effecting the double over Gladesville this season in the process.

The 3-0 loss sees Gladesville Ryde Magic remain in 4th spot on the ladder on 36 points, and they are now 6 points adrift of the summit.

For St George City FA, it was a welcome three points, as they move to 42 points, remaining top of the ladder. By beating Magic, and with Hawkesbury drawing on Saturday, St George City FA can breathe a little easier as they have now opened up a bit of a gap on at least a couple of the chasing pack, although Bankstown City are still well within reach.


Inter Lions – Bankstown City Lions 0-2

Bankstown City kept up the heat on league leaders, St George City FA, by beating Inter Lions 2-0 on Sunday evening at Fraser Park.

It was a rather uneventful opening half as both sides struggled to take control of the match.

Inter keeper, Robert Fanella, was called in to action to deny Bankstown’s Lachlan Willmore, racing back to stop the lobbed effort from finding the net.

Bankstown finally found the goal they craved after the break when Jack Press connected with an Ante Tomic free kick to head home the opener for the visitors.

Inter almost equalised shortly after when Julian Rinaldi raced in to space, but he was denied by the ever alert Bankstown custodian, Carl McMahon, in a one-on-one battle.

Lawrence Hanna then went very close for Bankstown, but his 20 yard drive was diverted for a corner by Inter goal keeper, Robert Fanella.

However Bankstown were not to be denied, and they made it 2-0 when Hanna hit a low shot which took a slight deflection on its way in to the Inter net.

The victory and three points puts Bankstown into outright second on 39 points, and they have an opportunity to draw level with leaders, St George City FA, when they play their rescheduled catch up match against Stanmore Hawks this coming Wednesday night.