Division 1 Round 3 Review


Inter Lions remain the only team in Division One with maximum points after three games, accounting for Mounties FC 2-0 at Concord Oval. Coach Ernesto Meduri re-adjusted his squad successfully, given he was missing captain Vizzari and playmaker Wright, and the depth in the squad was evident as the Lions dominated to win well.
Fragassi opened the scoring after 20 minutes, with Cole grabbing the second in the 69th minute after a superbly struck free kick.
Christie Park played venue to a 1-1 draw between the home side, Spirit FC, and visitors Hurstville ZSC. Kraljevic scored to put Hurstville in front after 10 mins, before Peatey equalized in the 30th minute from the penalty spot to give both sides a share of the spoils.
McPherson scored his 3rd and 4th goals of the season as he spearheaded the Blacktown Spartans to a 2-1 away victory against Hills Brumbies. Both goals came within three minutes of a frenzied first half, and whilst Pintabona pulled one back for the home side after 74 minutes, it wasn?t enough to get anything out of the game.
Schofield Scorpions came unstuck at home to the Stanmore Hawks, losing by 3-2 at CSI Sports Ground. Whilst Cevenini and Farac grabbed the goals for the home side to start and finish the scoring, Chavez proved the difference between the teams with a well taken hatrick of goals in between, taking his tally for the season to 4, and catapulting the Hawks to equal second on the ladder.
Sydney Wanderers grabbed their first points of the season with a home 4-2 victory over the Hurstville City Minotaurs. Soane got them off to a dream start, scoring in the very first minute of play, with Ciampa doubling their tally after 18 minutes. Iliopoulos did well to then scored a brace of goals himself before half time, and bring the Minotaurs level at the break at 2-2.
The Wanderers then went in front via Ramirez in the 79th minute, before Soane put the game beyond doubt with his second goal in the 88th minute.
Dulwich Hill were another big name club to finally break their drought for 2008, beating UNSW 3-1 at David Phillips Field. But the Madeira club had to come from behind at half time after Janov put the Uni in front after 36 minutes. Bove equalized from the penalty spot in the 50th minute, before Biviano (69?) and James (78?) gave Dully a much needed win.
-By Frank Speranza