TeleChoice Premier League Round 10 Review


The 4-0 thumping dished out by the only unbeaten side in the competition drew the Sharks level on points with Manly United ? Phil Moss? side has maintained top-spot on goal difference – though were defeated at home against a rampant Sydney United.
At the Sydney Olympic Athletic Centre, West Sydney Berries? remarkable defeat of Bankstown City on Anzac Day was all but forgotten. An uninspiring display which lacked cohesion ? and precision ? provided the Sharks with an enormous chance to capitalise on their win-less run in recent weeks.
The Sharks had been held to three consecutive 0-0 draws, though an inspiring display against the Berries put an end to the goal-less run.
First-half strikes by Jim Bakis ? an exquisite free-kick from the edge of the area ? and Brad Boardman set the Sharks up for victory, before Brendan Gan ? an absolute pile-driver into the top right-hand corner ? and a late tap-in by Adam Derazkala rounded out the 4-0 win.
Mention needs to be made of the great defensive run of the Sharks? rear-guard as Brian Brown?s men are now five matches without conceding a goal, testament to the experience of Captain George Souris in defence, along with the assistance of Michael Katz and Pedj Bojic.
Manly United FC?s sole-hold on top-spot has ended as the ?Cromer Park boys? were defeated by a very good Sydney United side.
Former A-League recruit Luka Glavas stood-up his more fancied goal-scoring adversary in this match ? Robbie Cattanach ? to hit the target twice and cancel out Manly?s goal scored by Michael Williams.
The Reds were 2-0 up inside of the first 7? minutes with a dominating display ? much to the surprise of the home supporters.
Williams? goal before the break proved to be the ?shot in the arm? required by Manly for a much improved second-half display, though in the end Sydney United?s win was much deserved as Ivan Petkovic?s men have added further substance to their claim for a finals-series finish.
The much-anticipated clash between two former NSL sides – Sydney Olympic and A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers – finished with a big win for the Blues. In a match that will be remembered more for the refereeing than the football, both sides played their hearts out in search of points, though the Blues would eventually prevail.
Two penalties awarded to Sydney Olympic ? both converted by Chris Triantis ? set the Blues up for victory, as the Tigers were forced to play the final 22? minutes of the match with ten-men following the expulsion of Captain Michael Galluzzo.
Former Tigers? midfielder Anthony Hartshorn ended any slight hope A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt may have had 17? minutes from time; Hartshorn met an Iain Ramsay cross from the left-flank and slotted home past Matthew Nash.
Triantis? double-strike would turn sour in the dying minutes of this encounter as the Blues midfielder was somewhat surprisingly shown a second yellow-card for what seemed to be a regular challenge.
Bankstown City finally found the back-of-the-net in the eagerly anticipated replay of last season?s Grand-Final ? and they did it four times.
Bankstown City has played some exceptional football to-date, though their position on the League ladder hardly reflects this.
James Monie struck twice for Bankstown ? on either side of Phillip Makrys? successful penalty conversion ? before play-maker Robert Mileski clinched the tie against their notorious rivals 20? minutes from time.
The win for Peter Tsekenis and his men could well be the turning point to a season that has been ? in terms of results and League ladder placings ? disappointing.
?New boys? Macarthur Rams collected their first win of the season with an emphatic win at Penrith?s CUA Stadium.
Paul Carter?s team has continued to show signs of improvement in recent weeks and a win seemed more and more likely with each performance.
Paul Carter?s men finally got it right on the night, and Penrith-Nepean United was to be the side to feel the wrath of the Rams players.
Shannon Hankin and James Young had the visitors ahead inside the hour-mark, before Panagiotis Nikas gave the home-side some hope with his strike in the 55? minute.
Despite the pressure of the Penrith-Nepean front-line, Erick Anabalon & Co. were unable to find the equaliser ? instead Macarthur made certain of the three-points with a 90? minute clincher via the boot of import Renato Jelen.
On Saturday evening Marconi Stallions failed again to find their first win of the season.
The Stallions, despite a spirited display against Wollongong FC, could not find the elusive winner regardless of a number of chances throughout the encounter ? Tolgay Ozbey?s late chance thwarted by the in-form Justin Pasfield.
Nahuel Arrarte put the Stallions ahead with a perfectly taken free-kick mid-way through the first-half, though Wollongong FC made the most of their possessional dominance throughout the encounter, equalising after a poor clearance by arguably the best player on the field ? Marconi shot-stopper James Chronopoulos.
Ilija Prenzoski found the back-of-the-net with a typical striker?s finish.
-By Joseph Carlucci