Conference League Northern Round 13 Review


But it was Magic that went in front early when Ganiatsas scored in just the 7th minute.
Woodbridge equalized for Penang in the 29th , before Van Whyk restored Magic?s lead 8 minutes before half time.
Penang then came out firing in the second period, with Hoare restoring parity on 54 minutes, before Woodbridge grabbed his second, and what looked like the winner, with five minutes remaining.
But Gladesville would not lie down, and Nastoulis remarkably scored an equalizer in the third minute of injury time, to send both sets of fans home happy following the exciting 3-3 scoreline.
Balmain SC extended their lead at the top of the Conference League North ladder on Saturday afternoon with a 3-1 victory over Bathurst ?75.
The game was even until a seven minute period either side of the half time break, when Balmain scored three goals to put the result beyond doubt.
Richardson put the home side in front after 41 minutes, and the league?s top marksman, Buonavoglia, extended the margin with strikes in the 46th and 48th minutes, his 15th and 16th goals of the season.
Bathurst kept plugging away, and were rewarded for their efforts when Clancy pulled one back in the 83rd minute, but it was simply too little, too late.
Hawkesbury City jumped into second spot on the ladder, albeit overnight, with a hard fought 2-1 home win over Prospect United at Benson?s Lane.
After a scoreless first half, the Hawks did it the hard way when they lost Chircop to a red card after five minutes of the second half, but as often is the case in football, the team with ten men lift their efforts and manage to beat the team with eleven.
Cooper put the Hawks in front in the 57th minute, and Vanderburg grabbed their second with just nine minutes remaining.
Isbister pulled a goal back for Prospect with just three minutes left on the clock to set up a grandstand finish, but the Hawks held on for a welcome three points.
On Sunday, it was Penang?s turn to come to Gladesville to meet for the second time in a week, hoping to take something back up the coast. But Magic made sure of the points this time with a 7-1 drubbing at Magdala Park.
Martinez opened the scoring for Magic as early as the 3rd minute, and Arima doubled the scoreline with a goal on 25 minutes. Martinez made it 3-0 with his second goal nine minutes into the second half, Gatt making it four a minute later.
Vanwyk gave Gladesville a five goal lead with his goal in the 69th minute, before Cohen pulled one back for Penang. Gatt secured his hatrick with two late goals in the 84th and 88th minutes, giving his side a comprehensive victory.
Roosters retrieved second position on the ladder with a 9-0 annihilation of Luddenham at Mona Park. Gogebakan, Celik and Omari gave the home side a comfortable lead at the break, and they went on with it in the second period. An own goal, plus goals by Serdal, Girgin, Ors, and a brace from Topal, finished off the day?s events, putting the Roosters back in the winner?s circle.
Springwood had the weekend off via the bye.
-By Frank Speranza