NSW Premier League Round 12 Review


The win, along with Blacktown City and Sydney United?s failure to do likewise has ensured the Stallions some additional bargaining power in the run to finals football.
At the bottom of the ladder, South Coast Wolves? difficult run continued with a home loss against Bonnyrigg White Eagles, meanwhile Bankstown City returned to the winner?s list with a very good win at Cromer Park against Manly United FC.
The Stallions extended their lead to four-points over second-spot on the NSW Premier League ladder following a very hard fought win at Sydney Olympic Athletic Centre against West Sydney Berries. Adel El Jamal picked out Aleksander Canak at the back post on 9? minutes to open the scoring for the Stallions. Canak got enough power behind the ball to steer it past goalkeeper Hamish McLean for an early Marconi lead.
The Berries, via Jesse Pinto and Fadi Ghosson caused the Stallions much stress in the second-half, and really did have the Stallions on alert when Pinto drew his side level. Denied on countless occasions by Marconi goalkeeper James Chronopoulos, Pinto finally managed to get one past the shot-stopper with a well-taken effort.
Despite the Berries pressing for a late winner, the Stallions proved why they are at the top of the League ladder with finely taken goal. El Jamal was again the provider, this time picking out Tim McGowan for an easy tap-in to secure the Stallions maximum points.
At Leichhardt Oval, A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers made it five wins out of their last six matches with an emphatic defeat of Blacktown City FC. Following a relatively even opening half, the match was brought to life by an exceptional Franco Parisi effort on 69? minutes. The talented striker collected the ball on the halfway line and glided his way down the right-flank. With his markers bearing down on him, Parisi exquisitely cut into the penalty-area before rifling a ferocious effort into the top left-hand corner, leaving Blacktown City goalkeeper Matt Ryan helpless.
Parisi doubled the lead 3? minutes later with a cleverly hit low-diagonal effort into the bottom corner of the net. Tolgay Ozbey pulled a goal back for the visitors via the penalty-spot following a careless foul by Matthew Fsadni. Parisi then turned provider for strike-partner Robert Younis who fired an effort into the back of the net from close-range; assisted greatly by a Tyler Simpson deflection. Blacktown City did pull another goal back in the 90? minute via youngster Bernie Ibini, though it was too little too late as the Tigers closed the final minutes with poise.
In Wollongong, Bonnyrigg White Eagles secured an impressive 3-1 win against the South Coast Wolves to take a stronghold on second-spot on the League ladder. The White Eagles hit the front on 20? minutes courtesy of Daniel Severino?s well-taken effort, despite the protests of the Wolves players. Wolves defender Alex Mansueto was down on the ground following a contrast with an opponent, though as the ball had not gone out of play, Mansueto kept Severino on-side. The Bonnyirgg attacking midfielder kept his composure as he went one-on-one with the goalkeeper, before slotting the ball into the back of the net.
The Wolves were on level terms within 5? minutes as Tynan Diaz picked out goal poacher Mark Picciolini for a close-range tap-in. After the break, Nikola Zonjic restored Bonnyrigg?s lead when he reacted quickest to convert from 8-yards following a poor Nick McInerney clearance. The win was secured in the 87? minute as Severino blasted the ball into the back of the net for his second goal of the afternoon. Severino received a neat cut-back pass from David Gullo from the left byline to seal the win.
Phil Moss? farewell to Manly United FC did not end on the best of notes as the Cromer Park side fell to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Bankstown City. Birthday boy Robbie Mileski ? celebrating his 23rd birthday ? was in fine touch throughout the afternoon, a constant menace for the Manly United defence. Bankstown City took the lead in the opening exchanges courtesy of Hussein Salameh. The Lions striker anticipated Sean Bowden to create the space he needed to finish past Brad Swancott. After the half-time break, Bankstown City extended the lead via Tallan Martin. Hassan Akil played a delightful ball into the path of Martin who did not need a second invitation to finish in style for his side?s second.
In the closing stages, Adam Foti re-opened the match with a fine strike 5? minutes from time, though it was too little too late for Manly United who now sit at the foot of the table alongside South Coast Wolves.
At Bicentennial Park South, Rockdale City Suns secured a share of the spoils with a late equaliser against Sydney United. Peter Apolevski?s 82? minute penalty denied the Reds maximum points after Sydney United held a 1-0 lead for almost 60? minutes.
In an evenly contested first-half, Luka Glavas coolly slotted home past goalkeeper Ben McNamara after receiving a Todd Brodie cross from the right. With the Suns at ?sixes and sevens? in defence, Glavas was left alone in-front of McNamara to score.
The Reds administered proceedings for the remainder of the half, and really should have closed the match early in the second, with chances spurned by Mirjan Pavlovic, Glavas and David Zdrilic.
The missed Reds chances spurred Rockdale City on, and the Suns went close via striker Sam Awad midway through the half, before Marino Musumeci created two openings for his teammates, both failing to reap reward following some poor execution. Rockdale finally found their equaliser in the 82? minute as a scramble in the Sydney United penalty-area resulted in a poorly timed tackle by Shane Lyons leaving the referee with no choice but to award the Suns a penalty. Captain Apolovski was on hand to convert with aplomb to seal a point for his side.
On Saturday evening, Sutherland Sharks handed Sydney Olympic a third consecutive loss on Saturday evening at Seymour Shaw in a highly entertaining encounter between two stern rivals. The Sharks, flying high following a slow start to the season had to do it the tough way to secure the 2-1 win, needing to overturn James Monie?s 30? minute header to seal the points. The Blues took the lead following Dimitri Petratos? perfectly floated cross onto the head of Monie; the striker did ever so well to send a looping header over the advancing Nathan Denham. The Sharks ?upped the ante? in the second-half and were finally rewarded on 59? minutes as Dimitri Petratos was adjudged to handle the ball inside his own penalty-area. Panni Nikas stepped up to the stop and coolly converted to draw the Sharks level. Despite Sydney Olympic fighting tooth and nail to hold on for a point, the Sharks found their winner 10? minutes from time. Ben Vidaic latched onto a loose ball behind the Sydney Olympic defence and made no mistake in slotting the ball past Paul Henderson to secure the win.
-By Joseph Carlucci