Round 9 – National Premier League Men’s 3 Review



The 2018 National Premier Leagues 3 NSW competition is starting to take some sort of shape having now completed over a third of the season so far. Round Nine produced six closely fought encounters, as well as the one blowout, with four teams winning away from home, and three victorious in front of their own fans.

It was a fairly subdued effort in terms of goals given some of the incredible figures we have been experiencing in recent rounds, with just 24 goals this weekend across the seven matches, and three teams managing to keep a clean sheet.

Dulwich Hill overcame Stanmore Hawks by the odd goal in three in the derby of the Arlington Oval tenants; SD Raiders returned to the winner’s list with a 4-1 victory over a 10-man Inter Lions at Ernie Smith Reserve; Bankstown City responded to their first loss of the season last week with a 6-0 drubbing of Granville Rage at Jensen Park; Camden Tigers defeated Dunbar Rovers 2-0 at Ron Dine Stadium; St George City FA beat Sydney University 1-0 to keep the pressure on the leaders at the top of the ladder; Gladesville Ryde Magic snatched all three points in Orange with a 3-1 win over the Western NSW Mariners.

This week’s Match of the Round was the battle between Fraser Park and Hawkesbury City.

MATCH OF THE ROUND – Fraser Park vs Hawkesbury City

Bottom placed Fraser Park gave the competition leaders, Hawkesbury City, an almighty scare before eventually succumbing 1-2 in a tight tussle at Marrickville on Saturday night.

Fraser Park came in to the match with nothing to lose, propping up the competition ladder and still yet to win in 2018. Fraser were keen to upset the applecart in front of their own fans.

Hawkesbury City at the other end could do no wrong so far this season.

The Hawks are yet to taste defeat this campaign, boasting the best defensive record so far, and leading the competition after eight rounds.

The Hawks however had to do without their top marksman, Daniel Morsillo, who was out with a hamstring strain. Morsillo has scored eight goals this campaign, or 50% of his team’s total going in to this match, and would be missed in the front third.

Co-captain and co-striker, Michael McCrory, was also out, as was David Bourke, so the Hawks’ resources were stretched as usual.

However, given the start to the season they have had, Hawkesbury know their strengths and started the match with a quiet confidence.

The league leaders took the lead on 26 minutes with a perfectly executed goal when Bradley Gibson netted at the near post after great build up work from Daniel Zahra.

Right on the half time break however, Hawkesbury lost both Bradley Gibson as well as Joaquin Veliz Coccolo, both pulling up with strains after getting caught on some loose synthetic turf in the follow through.

The 1-0 lead was one that the Hawks would carry in to the second half, where they had the opportunity to extend the lead twice within minutes from the penalty spot.

Majid Eslami had made a marauding run on 55 minutes that took him past a static defence into the box, before he was unceremoniously upended by two Fraser Park defenders in a careless tackle. Still jaded, Eslami stepped up to take the kick, but had his effort saved by Fraser Park goal keeper, Mark Villaescusa.

A few minutes later and Hawkesbury City had their second spot kick. Youngster Daniel Zahra was through on goal and rounded Mark Villaescusa, before being fouled by the Fraser Park keeper. Villaescusa escaped with a yellow card, and then watched in glee as James Mawein missed the target altogether from the ensuing penalty kick.

Directly following on from the second penalty, Fraser Park effected an attack which resulted in a free kick some 25 yards from goal. Just as he’s done a few times this season, Fraser Park captain, Andrew De Brito, killed some spiders with a great strike that nestled in to the top corner, more importantly helping his side to draw level at 1-1.

Fraser Park then lifted with intensity and commenced to attempt to spread the leather across the park with some swift passing. But just as the referee was beginning to look at his watch, up stepped Daniel Zahra to score a dramatic winner for the visitors, his clinical strike in injury time giving Hawkesbury City the 2-1 win.

It has been a very disappointing start to the campaign for Fraser Park, and this result keeps them at the base of the competition. But a narrow loss to the competition leaders suggests a maiden win could be just around the corner, especially given the application to the task they produced during parts of the second period.

Hawkesbury City just keep on moving from strength to strength.

The three competition points moves Hawkesbury City to 23, keeping them first on the ladder, and with a three point gap over St George City FA and Bankstown City.

This win was effected after backing up from an FFA Cup encounter midweek, where Hawkesbury City moved in to Round Six of the FFA Cup with a 2-1 over Berkeley Vale.

The Hawks may be flying high at the moment, but they are definitely keeping their feet on the ground with plenty of water yet to flow under the bridge.


National Premier Leagues 3 NSW Men’s

Round Nine – Saturday, May 5, 2018

Fraser Park, Marrickville

FRASER PARK: 1 (De Brito 60’)

HAWKESBURY CITY: 2 (Gibson 26’, Zahra 90’ + 1”)  

Referee – M.Rioli

Assistant Referees – T.Klein and A.Hosnani


1.M.Villaescusa, 3.A.Cimono, 10.A.De Brito (capt), 13.S.Di Marino, 18.J.Goldsmith, 30.A.Guerrieri, 14.M.Guse, 22.M.Hiudek, 4.D.Muller, 21.R.Pascale, 6.C.Pinto (2.A.Brown 49’).

Substitutes Not Used – 9.C.Calderan, 20.A.Ismail, 33.N.Kyriakopoulos, 38.O.Mokhtar.

Yellow Cards – 21.R.Pascale 53’, 1.M.Villaescusa 69’, 2.A.Brown 90’ + 2’.

Red Cards – Nil


1D.Schwarzer (capt), 5.J.Ekehov, 8.T.Elliott-Orr, 23.M.Eslami (29.J.Kuntz 63’), 14.B.Gibson (37.J.Rogers 46’), 3.M.Liddall, 7.J.Mawein, 6.P.Sharma, 10.J.Veliz Coccolo (2.J.Thurtell 46’), 4.K.Walker, 13.D.Zahra.

Substitutes Not Used – 20.A.Gornall, 26.L.Miskovich.

Yellow Cards – 8.T.Elliott-Orr 45’ + 1’.

Red Cards – Nil


Stanmore Hawks – Dulwich Hill 1 – 2

Dulwich Hill made it four wins on the trot with a come-from-behind 2-1 triumph over Stanmore Hawks on Saturday night.

It was a derby atmosphere, based on both the geographical location of both clubs, as well as the fact that each club share the lease on Arlington Oval.

Stanmore Hawks edged themselves in to an early lead when big striker, Neil Jablonski, headed them in front, but Dully equalised shortly afterwards, Gosue Sama netting a piledriver from all of 25 yards to restore parity.

Dulwich Hill then took the lead when central defender, Nathan Bowden-Haase found the mark, and it was a lead Dully managed to protect not only until half time, but until the final whistle as the match deteriorated in to a stale mate devoid of opportunities.

The loss sees Stanmore Hawks remain on 10 points, but they drop to 10th position on the competition ladder. Dulwich Hill have moved to 17 points courtesy of the win, and sit in 5th spot, and within a win of three clubs above them.


SD Raiders – Inter Lions 4 – 1

After a few weeks of very little return, SD Raiders scored four goals to earn a welcome three points when they defeated Inter Lions 4-1 at Ernie Smith Reserve on Saturday night.

Although it was Inter that started on the front foot, taking the lead in the 11th minute with a goal by the experienced Juan Chavez.

However it all fell apart for Inter Lions when Michael Sidoti was shown a red card on the half hour mark only a minute after receiving a caution, condemning his side to play out the remaining hour with just ten men.

Lucas Rossi equalised shortly afterwards, before the Raiders stepped up the ante after the break with three unanswered goals.

Ben Welch edged the home side in to the lead in the 51st minute, netting his 7th goal of the campaign. John Fahmi made it 3-1 on 66 minutes, and Marko Filipovic rounded off the scoring at 4-1 in the 85th minute.

The only dampener on the Raiders win was the late sending off of Ben Welch in the 88th minute.

The loss sees Inter Lions remain in 11th spot on 7 points, whilst the three points sees SD Raiders move to 16 points, staying in 6th position on the ladder.


Bankstown City – Granville Rage 6 – 0

Bankstown City shrugged off their first loss of the season last week by demolishing Granville Rage 6-0 at Jensen Park on Saturday night.

Mirza Sehic slipped a great through ball early on for Tommy Markovski to run on to and he made it 1-0 by slotting it past Rage goal keeper, Samuel Bortolazzo.

The teams went in at the break separated by that lone goal, but the floodgates opened after half time.

Ante Tomic made the most of a defensive lapse minutes in to the second half to strike home number two, before Markovski extended the lead to 3-0 with his second goal of the night.

Tomic hit a thunderbolt to make it 4-0, and then Markovski made it 5-0, slotting home a one-on-one to net his hatrick for the evening.

Aaron Berg managed to head home goal number six from a corner to wrap up the win, with Bankstown moving to 20 points on the ladder in third spot, just three points off the lead.



Camden Tigers – Dunbar Rovers 2 – 0

Camden Tigers returned to the winner’s circle on Saturday night in front of their own fans, defeating Dunbar Rovers 2-0 at Ron Dine Reserve.

Ryan Shaughnessy had a great chance to open proceedings for the visitors early on, but Camden keeper, David Harris, saved in a one-on-one to keep the scoreboard scoreless.

That was just the fright Camden needed to click in to gear, and ace scorer, Jayden Russell, scored two quick fire goals, giving the home side a 2-0 lead within the opening half an hour.

Despite some close calls at both ends, there were no further goals and Camden Tigers hung on for the win which puts them on 12 points and in to 8th spot, one spot and one point behind their match day opponents.


Sydney University – St George City FA 0 – 1

St George City FA left it late to snatch all three points in a 1-0 win at Sydney University on Saturday night.

The ‘students’ have not had the rub of the green this season, and parted company with their coach, Will Cullen, during the week as they look for improved results.

St George City FA had been in scintillating form of late, and were looking to continue that momentum, however given the coaching change, it was a predictably re-energised Sydney University side that showed vigour and application with intent to stem the tide that hadn’t seen them win since Round Five.

Just as the match looked headed for a scoreless draw, St George City FA striker, Geoffry Lino, latched on to a long ball that was chested in to his path by Sam Messam, before calmly despatching it past Sydney Uni keeper, Charlie Fanner.

In fact, St George City had failed to convert a penalty just before half time with Michael Loupis missing the target, but it didn’t matter in the wash up given Lino’s last gasp winner, and 11th goal of the season.

The loss sees Sydney University remain on 6 points in 12th spot, but they showed plenty of promising signs to instil some confidence that they will turn the corner sooner rather than later.

St George City FA just keep on keeping their foot on the pedal, this win representing their 5th in a row, and the three points moving them to 20 points on the ladder, just three from first placed Hawkesbury City.


Western NSW Mariners – Gladesville Ryde Magic 1-3

Gladesville Ryde Magic made it a happy bus drive back to Sydney when they took all three points in a 3-1 victory over the Western NSW Mariners on Saturday evening.

This Round Nine fixture took place at the Waratah Sports Club in Orange, and the temperatures dropped alarmingly by the time the 7pm kick off came around.

Magic opened proceedings after just 10 minutes.

Chris Gaitatzis received the ball at the top of the box, before racing in on goal to slot it past Mariners’ keeper, Brock Logan, to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Chris Tomaras then tested his driving range with a shot from distance that missed the mark as Gladesville tried to up the ante.

Adam Scimone then created some danger for the home side, the Mariners attacker getting in behind the Magic defence but the ball was cleared by the ever alert Kyriakos Tohouroglou in the Gladesville goal.

After the break, Magic’s flanker, Johnny Gowdy, was proving a menace for the home side with his runs down the right wing, but his crosses were to no avail.

It was then up to the Gaitatzis brothers to combine to great effect, with skipper, Chris, setting up Michael to make it 2-0 to Gladesville Ryde Magic.

Michael doubled his goal tally soon afterwards, scoring direct from a free kick to give Gladesville an unassailable 3-0 lead.

Kenny McCall added some respectability late in the match, converting a penalty for the Mariners, but it was too little too late, and Magic hung on for the win.

The three points sees Gladesville Ryde Magic retain 4th spot, but they move to 19 points, just one point behind both St George City FA and Bankstown City.