Round 11 Review – League One Women’s


In a truncated Round 11 of the League One Womens competition, there were some close contests in the six games which were able to be completed on Sunday.

The headliner was the Match of the Round between top two – Hills United FC and UNSW FC. Let’s get onto the review!

Match of the Round: UNSW FC vs Hills United FC

The streak rolls on for Hills United FC after their tense 1-0 win against UNSW FC on Sunday night down at Hensley Athletic Field.

Hills United FC had to work for the three points tonight. The visitors were kept to minimal efforts in the first half before they picked the lock in the students defence late on. Imogen Lane turned home a wonderful strike to take the streak to 11 games.

UNSW FC remained upbeat despite the result. The hosts showed they can match it with the heavyweight sides like Hills United FC. The students had their chances but couldn’t find a way past the Hills United keeper in an even contest.

In a clash between the top two sides in the League One Womens competition, there was no surprise that the opening stages were a tight affair. Both teams tried to assert themselves but neither side challenged the keepers.

The first shot in anger came from Hills United FC. Stefanie Trovato found a pocket of space in the packed midfield to place a shot which required a diving save from UNSW FC keeper Tiahna Robertson to push past the post.

Likewise for UNSW FC, their chances came from range. Amanda Levaskevich had their best chance of the half when she opened up some space on the right side. She tried to arrow the shot but it flayed wide of the post as the game headed to the break at 0-0.

Coming out of the break, UNSW FC forced Hills United FC stopper Sarah Easthope into her first action of the contest. A header from Jesse Mullins needed to be squeezed out. The resulted corner created some chaos in the box but the Hills United FC defence swept it away.

As the clock ticked past the hour mark, the game opened up as the two sides looked for the goal which could settle the contest. Imogen Lane went close, quickly followed by Annie Halls shot which was well held by Robertson.

Hills United FC coach Alan Tasses went to his bench to spark something for his side and it almost had an instant impact. Alix Roberts cross squirmed free from Robertson’s grasp but Lane’s follow-up shot was well blocked from the UNSW FC keeper.

UNSW FC sensed the urgency in the contest and pushed themselves forward. Earning some possession which ended with Issey Morris shaping an effort over the bar, as the game waited for the first goal on a crisp night.

It took until the 80th minute for the goal to come. It was some superb invention from Hills United FC striker Lane to carve out some space for herself, steady and fire home, making it 1-0 to the visitors.

With nothing left to lose, UNSW FC poured numbers forward in the contest. Their best chance came in stoppage time when a corner bounced around the box. The shot fell to Sonja Murphy who volleyed over which left Hills United FC celebrating the final whistle.

Speaking afterwards, Hills United FC coach Alan Tasses remarked on how tight the contest was and the effort from his side to come away with the three points:

“It was a hard and good game which is expected when one plays two. Some fantastic saves from the UNSW FC keeper. I think both sides tried to play football and it took a good goal from Imogen Lane to get the winner.” said Tasses.

“They set up very well. They’re dynamic in their style of play and it was nice to play them tonight because it was a good game overall.” added Tasses.

UNSW FC coach Guillermo Rubio was happy with the effort from his side but remained annoyed at the style employed from the opponents:

“I think we competed really well, against a top team which is very intense and aggressive. I think we were the better side but it’s tough to play against their style. The first half we were good and limited their shots to mostly corners.” said Rubio.

“Second half I think we started to play our game. It came down to one chance in the game and they took it tonight. It was a great finish but I think we matched their level tonight but didn’t get the same favour tonight.” finished Rubio.


Sunday May 1st 2022

Hensley Athletic Field, Eastgardens


Hills United FC 1 (Lane ‘80)

UNSW FC: 1. ROBERTSON Tianha, 2. FERRIS Sarah (26. RAWSON ‘75), 3. MULLINS Jesse, 7. DARLASTON Rio, 8. MURPHY Sonja, 10. BRACO Maria, 14. CHARAK Hannah (15. JOFFE ‘87), 16. MORRIS Issey (4. BLAYNEY ‘93), 19. MCCORMICK Grace (17. SUMMERSBY-MITCHELL ‘75), 20. CHRISTOPHER Cassandra, 28. LEVASKEVICH Amanda

Unused subs: 21. HOWELL Akala, 30. SLATYER Thea

Yellow cards: Ferris, Levaskevich

Red cards: nil

Hills United FC: 1. EASTHOPE Sarah, 2. JACKSON Emma, 3. DAVIDSON Aisling, 5. HANSEN Janie (6. BASS ‘73), 7. TROVATO Stefanie (4. ROBERTS ‘60), 8. GALAYINI Bianca (18. TALLON ‘73), 9. LANE Imogen, 10. HALLS Annie (19. HASTIE ‘89), 13. GALEA Desiree, 15. WHEELER Cassandra, 17. SCIBERRAS Isabella (14. BERIOS ‘60)

Unused subs: 16. BRIEN Bridget

Yellow cards: Halls, Roberts

Red cards: nil

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 0 defeated by Sutherland Shire FA 6

The Town Rangers were hit for six by the clinical Sutherland Shire FA side in their 6-0 victory at Popondetta Park on Sunday afternoon.

Sutherland Shire FA were ruthless in front of goals in their trip to the west. The visitors scored three goals in each half to secure the win. That takes Sutherland Shire FA’s unbeaten streak to four games and keep them firmly in eighth spot.

Headlining the goals in the contest was a pair of braces to young striker Violet Keelan and Alina Stojcevski to continue their strong form. The other goals went to Ariane Brown and Janan Codmani in the one-sided affair.

For Mt Druitt Town Rangers it all fell apart after they conceded the first goal. The Town Rangers remained in the contest but couldn’t match it with the firepower that Sutherland Shire FA had across the 90 minutes.

Central Coast Mariners 2 defeated SD Raiders FC 1

Central Coast Mariners claimed a huge three points at home in their 2-1 win against SD Raiders FC on Sunday afternoon.

The yellow-and-navy had battled hard in previous weeks without a result and got their reward on Sunday afternoon against a strong SD Raiders FC side. Coach Peter Preston called it a strong performance and was delighted with his side.

Captain Kaitlin Murphy kicked off the scoring for Central Coast Mariners with her goal which opened the proceedings on the coast. Indianna Auddino found the back of the net for the Mariners second to help them record the three points.

SD Raiders FC had their recent purple streak snapped with their trip to the coast. The visitors did find the back of the net once through Rojin Polat. It wasn’t enough for them to take three points but they move on to next weekend and still sit comfortable in fourth.

Inter Lions 0 defeated by Gladesville Ravens 4

The Gladesville Ravens kept soaring with their 4-0 win against Inter Lions on Sunday afternoon at Majors Bay Reserve.

Gladesville Ravens remain one of the form sides of the competition with this success marked their eighth game unbeaten in the League One Womens competition. Maggie O’Reilly started the party with her goal.

It was once again the Gemma Woolley show for the Ravens. She added another hat-trick to her impressive collection of goals thus far in 2022. Gladesville Ravens remain in third spot on the ladder with this result.

Inter Lions had their keepers in Ashley Purcell and substitute Cristina Esposito for helping to keep the score to four. Both made some fabulous saves against the potent Ravens attack in an otherwise forgettable afternoon.

South East Phoenix FC 0 defeated by St George FC 6

It was a return to form for St George FC in their 6-0 win against South East Phoenix FC down at South Nowra Football Complex on Sunday afternoon.

St George FC found their scoring boots in style down in Nowra. The Saints were riding a rotten run of luck but filled the auld onion bag in the sunshine. It pleased coach Mark Cupitt in their desire and how the goals were shared.

Morgan Maxwell scored a brace for St George FC while Maddison Farmer, Melody Nelson, midfielder Sarah Nachar and Jasmine Maguire also found the back of the net in the rout. The Saints were in control early and lead 2-0 at the break.

For South East Phoenix FC, it has been a tough few weeks for the regional club. Tonight’s result makes it three losses on the trot but there is some cause for optimism. After being below par last week, it was a much more Phoenix like performance which included them having a chance cleared off the line and crashed one against the post.

South Coast Flame FC 1 defeated by Marconi Stallions 2

In our other late contest, Marconi Stallions took three points in a 2-1 win against South Coast Flame FC at Ian McLennan Park on Sunday night.

Tonight’s success marks three wins on the bounce for Marconi Stallions. The visitors have started to make their surge up the League One Womens competition. It will please coach Dino Severin that his side have started to find the back of the net regularly.

Marconi Stallions got off to the perfect start with Montana Bolzan putting home a goal after three minutes which was followed up by Natasha Aitken’s penalty just after the break to complete their scoring tonight.

There was a flicker of hope for South Coast Flame FC when an own goal from Marconi Stallions brought it back to 2-1 but their recent hot streak has cooled off tonight. They will look to reignite their streak with their next assignment.

Camden Tigers vs Northbridge Bulls FC & Nepean FC vs Blacktown City FC were washed out.

By Justin Davies (@JustDavies90)