Round 2 Review – Futsal Premier League Open Men’s


Round 2 of the Futsal Premier League Open Men’s competition came and went as the league continued its ascendency in what was a great weekend of action. 

UTS Northside and Enfield Allstars notched back to back victories while Inner West and Eastern Suburbs Hakoah opened their account for 2022.

Campbelltown City Quake Futsal Club 0 v Inner West Futsal Club 1 (Nicolosi 30’)

Inner West secured their first victory since the rebrand edging out Campbelltown City Quake at Minto Indoor Sports Centre.

After a first start defeat, Inner West bounced back positively having multiple opportunities in the first half. However, they were meeting stubborn resistance and couldn’t break through the Quake defense. As the minutes ticked on, the game opened up with both sides going for victory. A victory which was secured by two key events. Firstly, an Alexander Nicolosi goal after a goal mouth scramble. And secondly a late penalty save which denied their hosts an equalizer.

It was an encouraging performance for the Quake who despite fielding a fairly new outfit when it comes to the indoor game gave their visitors a scare with a late penalty being saved by the Inner West keeper. Afterwards Brett Hewit praised his team which included four debutants under the age of 20 as they look to build into the season.

Inner West take on Enfield Allstars in round three action. And the Quake continue to build, their next match against Eastern Suburbs Hakoah.

Mascot Vipers 2 (C. Quilligan 11’, T. Quilligan 25’) v UTS Northside Futsal Club 3 (Devine 10’, Waller 13’, Hillyer 37’)

UTS Northside continued their winning ways with a victory over fellow round one victors Mascot Vipers.

And in a case of third time lucky, they prevailed after taking the lead for the third occasion in the second half, Saxon Hillyer scoring the all important goal after Kyle Devine and Benjamin Waller found the net earlier on in the piece.

For Mascot Vipers who are still missing a couple of crucial players, they showed some strong character in pegging back their opposition on a couple of occasions in the contest with the Quilligan brothers finding the net in the contest. Conor Quilligan opening the scoring on eleven minutes before Thomas added a second right on half time.

So indeed, in was a case of most of the action occurring in the opening stanza with four goals coming in the opening half. Mascot Vipers next face Dural Warriors while UTS Northside host Mountain Majik who will be looking to bounce back.

Enfield Allstars 3 (Pivato 6’. Adeli 29, Lobo 43’) v Dural Warriors 1 (Sweedan 40’)

Enfield Allstars made it two wins in two starts coming out on top of Dural Warriors in their 2nd successive home game.

In a tight contest, Enfield took the lead after just six minutes through a Bruno Pivato goal before Shervin Adeli and Luiz Lobo added to the tally in the second half.

From a Dural perspective, they certainly showed improvement after their round one performance and were certainly unlucky to not find the net before their eventual goal in the 40th minute through Hamza Sweedan.

Taking advantage of their two home fixtures. Enfield very much put themselves in the ascendency with an early goal in both halves allowing them to play the game on their terms, Pivato with the first before Adeli scored four minutes into the second. From there Dural did hit back with the younger Sweeden (Hamza) scoring his first goal of the campaign. However, any hopes of a comeback were dashed when Luiz Lobo added a third for the Allstars.

Enfield Allstars face Inner West next up, while Dural host Mascot Vipers.

Mountain Majik Futsal Club 3 (Guerreiro 7’, Nisbet 28’, Barbera 47’) v Eastern Suburbs Hakoah Futsal Club 5 (Oliveira 10‘ 23‘, Vidal 15’ 40’, Lowe 29’)

Mountain Majik and Eastern Suburbs Hakoah played out the pick of the games in a eight goal thriller Saturday night.

After being frustrated by Mascot Vipers last weekend, Eastern Suburbs Hakoah came out firing scoring three goals in the opening half through Wellington Oliveira with a brace and Lucas Vidal. A tally which was blown out even further in the second half through goals to Mitchell Lowe and Vidal with his second.

Mountain Majik on the other hand opened the scoring through Jordan Guerreiro before conceding three times before the break. And despite bringing it back to a goal early in the second half through Adam Nisbet, they couldn’t quite keep pace with their visitors with Christopher Barbera adding a consolation in the final minutes.

From a writers perspective, it’s a game which you could probably go on and on with both sides leaving it all out on the pitch. Don’t be surprised if we see these two sides play a third time this season. The crucial point in this one however was a Mitchell Lowe goal which came shortly after Majik brought the game back to 3-2 early in the second half.

Mountain Majik face UTS Northside next up in another tough test. And Eastern Suburbs Hakoah host the Quake