Round 13 Review – Futsal Premier League Open Men’s


And so it goes to the last weekend of the Futsal Premier League Open Men’s Season. After 13 rounds of the competition, five teams could still finish top or miss out on the finals.

So, let’s get to it in this caffeine fueled, sleep deprived review!

UTS Northside Futsal Club 9-3 Enfield Allstars

We start off the review with the most eye-opening of the results as UTS Northside extended the Enfield Allstars woes with a six-goal victory.

The result sees Enfield Allstars fall out of a finals position for the first time in a long while having held the competition lead till as recently as a fortnight ago.

In contrast, it sets UTS Northside up nicely leading into next week when they host Eastern Suburbs Hakoah with both sides looking to confirm their position in the post-season.

Neither side were willing to give each other the edge early with six goals coming before the quarter hour from six different goal scorers.

Grant Lynch giving Northside the early lead on 7 minutes before Dominic Cox and Shervin Adeli struck back two minutes later. However, UTS were just more efficient in their scoring efforts in a seesawing first half with Samuel Parry, Harry Oates and Nathan Amore all finding the net in the space of three minutes shortly after.

Once again, the second half saw both teams exchanging goals inside ten minutes. Mitchell Whalley extending the hosts lead three minutes into the half before Dominic Cox responded.

However still needing to bridge a two-goal deficit, Enfield Allstars still faced an uphill task and the goals came at the other end. Grant Lynch securing himself a brace before the Rainbird show, Lucas with his sides 7th before Nick finished off the match with a brace of his own to add to five assists in a MOTM performance.

Mascot Vipers 3-2 Campbelltown City Quake Futsal Club

Mascot Vipers returned to the top four with a victory over Campbelltown City Quake at Sydney Olympic Park.

It comes after they briefly fell out of the finals positions last weekend, however this win means they have won five of their last six.

For the Quake, it’s another example of them remaining competitive without reward which effectively sums up their season.

The hosts though were first to score through their top scorer this season in Thomas Quilligan who grabbed his 12th goal in eleven games. A goal which saw a quick response from the Quake, Jett Mccue-Shore their scorer.

However that parity lasted only a minute before the Vipers retook the lead, Ethan De Melo their second goal scorer in the first half.

It was then put to bed with Konstantinos Tsournakakis scoring the Vipers third, though the Quake did ensure they would earn it scoring with three minutes left, Mccue-Shore doubling his tally.

The Quake will host Mountain Majik next weekend determined to send out a club stalwart a winner, while Mascot Vipers travel to face Enfield Allstars in a shootout for a finals spot.

Mountain Majik Futsal Club 2-5 Dural Warriors

Dural Warriors bounced back from last weekend’s disappointment putting five past Mountain Majik, Saturday evening.

Playing for club championship points, the result moves them comfortably clear of relegation with even a top two place within reach.

For Mountain Majik, it’s a disappointing result which extends their winless run to three matches. They exchanged goals in the middle third of the match but couldn’t get the job done against a well-versed defense.

Highlighted as one of the best on pitch, Jacob Basden opened the scoring inside five minutes for the Warriors. A lead which was doubled through Ahmed Sweedan on the quarter hour.

With a lot on the line for the Majik, they managed to bring the deficit down to one by the half time break, Jordan Guerriero finding the net for them.

The game then held that score line for fifteen minutes before three goals in quick succession with the game exploding into life. Basden and Hamza Sweedan scoring for the visitors before Adam Nisbet scored for the hosts.

However the game was put beyond doubt with the Warriors fifth goal going to Glen Kelshaw. They face Inner West next weekend, while the Majik take on the Quake in round 14 action.

Eastern Suburbs Hakoah 1-1 Inner West Futsal Club

Eastern Suburbs Hakoah came away with a vital point against competition leaders Inner West in the final game of the round.

In a high-quality encounter with plenty on the line, both sides had their chances but had to settle for a share of the points.

It took nine minutes for the hosts to take the advantage in the contest, Lucas Fonseca scoring in just his second appearance of the season.

At the other end, Inner West were left frustrated meeting stern resistance in the form of Hakoah keeper Noah Feilich.

So it was going to take something special to beat the keeper, something special which came with a goal to Daniel Fornito. Fornito launching a rocket past the keeper from a left side position to level the scores on the half hour.

The point sets up a potential finals meeting well. However club championship wise, it gives Eastern Suburbs Hakoah the advantage going into the final round before they meet UTS Northside. While Inner West will be wanting to seal top spot against a team intent in stopping them Dural Warriors.

By Justin Smith