Round 3 Review – League One Men’s

League ONE Men's Round Review 3

Round three of the FNSW League One Men’s competition saw teams really click into gear in our midweek round.

With an astounding 33 goals scored across our 8 fixtures, there was plenty of entertainment wherever you were across Tuesday and Wednesday night.

Dunbar Rovers 3-3 UNSW FC

Our match of the round saw a see-sawing contest as Dunbar Rovers scored an injury time goal to deny UNSW FC the three points after a stirring comeback.

After going into the break with a two-goal advantage, Dunbar Rovers looked to hold onto what they had with UNSW then scoring three unanswered goals. Daisuke Yamaguchi stepping up in added time to earn them a point.

The first half saw the hosts well up for the fight while UNSW struggled to match their intensity.

An early goal setting the tone for the half with Samuel Tzanakes cutting in from the left wing central with a superb finish into the top left corner in the 4th minute of play.

Dunbar Rovers having another chance after the quarter hour to double the advantage. Paul Gautier trying his luck from around the penalty spot which was saved comfortably.

It took half an hour for the visitors to respond with a chance of their own. Their chances dealt an early blow with the loss of Luke Burke to injury.

Jack Fulton unable to control his effort from just outside the six-yard area, the ball flying over the bar.

It was Dunbar Rovers who were to double their advantage before the break though through Gianni Constantino who scored a controlled volley into the bottom left corner after a Hesan Soufi cross into the middle couldn’t be cleared, 39 minutes in.

The game changed after the resumption though with UNSW looking to stage another comeback. Jack Fulton doing those chances a world of good with a goal nine minutes into the second period. Getting beyond his marker from a set piece on the right, heading past the keeper.

UNSW looking at this point to be consistent danger from the set piece, Lopes going close in the 61st minute before Matias Da Silva Santos found Fulton once again who made no mistake with his head once again. 2-2.

With things bubbling along nicely in a local derby, UNSW would seemingly complete their comeback with a swift counterattack, Jack Fulton playing a lovely pass to release Kevin Lopes who found Gabriel Lopez at the back post to tap home. 3-2 UNSW.

There was one last twist to come though with Dunbar given a free kick in added time. Daisuke Yamaguchi creating enough doubt with his ball across for it to bounce in for a dramatic equaliser.

Dunbar Rovers have a tough task ahead of them with Bulls FC Academy next up while UNSW host Northern Tigers.

Dunbar Rovers 3 (S.Tzanakes 4’, Constantino 39’, Yamaguchi 93’)

UNSW FC 3 (Fulton 54’ 62’, Lopez 78’)


Blacktown Spartans 2-3 Bulls FC Academy

Bulls FC Academy survived their toughest test of the season so far securing a hard fought 3-2 victory over Blacktown Spartans, Wednesday night.

Capitalising on a good start to this one, the Bulls find themselves top after three games with this victory.

They started the better of the two sides racing out to a two goal lead within the first seven minutes. Ariath Piol scoring an early penalty before adding a second soon after. The second coming from a high press, picking the Spartans pocket.

However, the hosts fought back and Aedon Kyra continuing his scoring form with their first before Suleyman Bangura equalised on the half hour.

The second half playing out with the Bulls having most of the ball while Spartans created the more chances. If you don’t take them though, it could cost you and Flynn Madden scored a winner for the visitors with just over ten minutes left. Madden singled out as a key difference in this one off the bench.

Bulls FC Academy next face Dunbar Rovers, while Blacktown Spartans turn their attention to Bonnyrigg White Eagles.

Blacktown Spartans 2 (Kyra 21’, Bangura 30’)

Bulls FC Academy 3 (Piol 2’ 6’, Madden 79’)

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 2-1 Bankstown City

Matching their fellow relegated side, Mt Druitt Town Rangers continued their own perfect start with a 2-1 victory over Bankstown City.

After a tough outing on a heavy pitch last weekend, the hosts were impressive here taking out their third victory of the season.

While for Bankstown City, it’s a third straight defeat to start the season, they found themselves a goal down at the break and couldn’t find a way back on the scoreboard.

It was the perfect start for the Town Rangers who opened their account in the 6th minute through Andre Martins. Martins scoring his second and third goal of the season in this one. His second here coming in first half injury time.

Those two goals sandwiching a Chris Payne goal for the visitors who opened his season account in his first start of the campaign.

However the visitors were unable to equalise a second time, Mt Druitt Town Rangers once again showing their ability to close out a fixture with a goal advantage. They take on Dulwich Hill next while Bankstown City chase their allusive first victory against SD Raiders.

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 2 (Madden 6’ 47)

Bankstown City 1 (Payne 45’)

Nepean FC 1-2 SD Raiders

SD Raiders bounced back from a round two defeat with a 2-1 victory away from home against Nepean FC at Cook Park.

A second victory of the season for SD Raiders and first away from home will be a boost for Goran Ljuboja’s side going forward. While there are positives to take out of the result from a Nepean perspective.

Keen to stamp their authority early, the two SD Raiders goals came within ten minutes halfway through the first half. Justin Chan Frias and Noah Chianese both scoring from inside the area after some well worked play. The two-goal advantage a deserved lead come the half time whistle.

In contrast to the first half however, Nepean were the side to take the ascendency after the break putting the hosts under a lot of pressure throughout the second half.

They just couldn’t find a second goal, Jack Hoban their sole goal scorer finishing on 64 minutes.

Nepean next face Inter Lions this weekend while SD Raiders take on Bankstown City at home.

Nepean FC 1 (Hoban 64’)

SD Raiders 2 (Chan Frias 22’, Chianese 29’)

Rydalmere Lions 5-4 Inter Lions

Are you not entertained? Rydalmere Lions took out a thriller against Inter Lions, coming from behind to triumph 5-4 at home.

A game in which they found themselves 3-0 down inside 20 minutes, the hosts somehow found a way to win this one with an epic comeback. Let’s take you through it.

As mentioned, Inter Lions took a three-goal lead early in this one with goals to former Rydalmere player Ahmad Taleb from a corner, JJ Morfitis on the end of a quickfire counterattack and Fikret Berisha who chased down the opposition goalkeeper.

It wasn’t as if the hosts were playing badly though and Anthony Harb’s side found two in response before the break. Isaac Cunningham scoring their first on the break before Tom Ruperto scored their second after some brilliant lead up work from Samuel Harb. The score remaining 3-2 to the visitors at the break.

Like the first half, Inter came out well again in the second and scored their fourth once again through Ahmad Taleb. However, the momentum then changed around the 65th minute when a great tackle denied Taleb a one-on-one opportunity.

Marcus Lal scoring a quickfire double with goals in the 71st and 80th minute to bring things level. Before substitute Christian Cirino made the all-important difference scoring an injury time winner from outside the 18 yard box, Malek Saad with the assist after a driving run forward.

A result which could well kick start Rydalmere Lions season, confidence will be flowing going into this weekend.

Rydalmere Lions 5 (Cunningham 29’, Ruperto 40’, Lal 70’ 81’, Cirino 90’)

Inter Lions 4 (Taleb 8’ 55’, Morfitis 11’, Berisha 17’)

Northern Tigers 1-0 Bonnyrigg White Eagles

Don’t be fooled by this scoreline, Northern Tigers claimed a 1-0 victory over Bonnyrigg White Eagles in a battle between two competition heavyweights.

The third straight game Bonnyrigg White Eagles have been involved in which has finished 1-0, it was Northern Tigers who triumphed in this one.

Northern Tigers opening their account just after the half hour, Lachlan Lloyd’s effort taking a deflection on its path towards goal for the opener. While Bonnyrigg had hit the crossbar before this.

Elliot Carwardine denying an equaliser with a top corner before the half time whistle as the game was in the balance.

The action is this one really came in the final ten minutes though with the Tigers missing a penalty with ten minutes left, Shervin Adeli the taker there.

Before a penalty was overturned at the other end some sixty seconds later, the score remaining 1-0 at the full-time whistle. Northern Tigers continuing their unbeaten start with two wins and a draw.

Bonnyrigg on the other hand left wondering how they didn’t get something in this one despite a good performance.

Northern Tigers 1 (Lloyd 32’)

Bonnyrigg White Eagles 0

Canterbury Bankstown 4-0 Macarthur Rams

Well, that’s one way to secure your first win of the season, Canterbury Bankstown put four goals past Macarthur Rams to win their first home game of the season.

A much-needed victory after dropping their first two games on the road, they scored three second half goals to emerge with the three points in this one.

The tone was set early in this one courtesy of an opener in the first five minutes. Taiga Kawano curling a free kick into the top right corner four minutes in. That 1-0 scoreline remaining till the break.

A lead which was doubled in the 53rd minute, Bonmyeong Koo scoring their second cutting inside his defender.

This time they didn’t need to wait quite as long for their third though, Marco Turpeinen adding their third goal with an unstoppable left footed effort into the corner. Cian McNamara with the assist.

Gian Forese adding the final goal on 69 minutes for a comprehensive victory. They face Rydalmere Lions next while Macarthur Rams will chase their first victory against Hakoah.

Canterbury Bankstown 4 (Kawano 4’, Koo 53’, Turpeinen 58’, Fiorese 69’)

Macarthur Rams 0

Dulwich Hill 1-1 Hakoah FC

Finally, Dulwich Hill and Hakoah FC couldn’t be separated in a 1-1 draw at Valentine Sports Park.

After an even first half, it was perhaps Hakoah who would be more disappointed with the result after being on top in terms of chances in the second half.

Dulwich Hill would open the scoring however with the first goal of the game coming through Mark Younes. Younes scoring from a well worked set piece resulting in an uncontested header into the back of the net.

They couldn’t quite hold on to the break however with Sam Shepherd equalising in the 43rd minute. Shepherd finishing after some great lead up work from Nicholas Tooley.

The second half controlled for the most part by Hakoah in terms of chances though Dulwich Hill also had chances of their own.

Dulwich Hill have a tough task next up against Mt Druitt Town Rangers, while Hakoah take on Macarthur Rams in round four action.

Dulwich Hill 1 (Younes 21’)

Hakoah FC 1 (Shepherd 44’)

By Justin Smith