Round 17 Review – League One Men’s

a man holding a football ball

Kicking off a big three game week in the Football NSW League One Men’s competition, round 17 saw some important victories in a five game weekend.

Our match of the round saw Mt Druitt Town Rangers return to winning ways while both Nepean and Dunbar Rovers picked up points at the over end. That and more in our review below.

Match of the Round: Mt Druitt Town Rangers 3-2 SD Raiders

Bouncing back from dropping points last weekend, Mt Druitt Town Rangers overcame a brave SD Raiders side at a rain-soaked Popondetta Park, Saturday night.

Recovering after conceding the first goal, Andy Montgomery’s side once again found a way to secure the three points with Andre Martins starring in the victory.

The first chance of this one went in favour of the hosts five minutes in. Garang Awac shooting just wide left after taking the ball into the attacking area, Dylan Niski with the ball from coast to coast .

However the opening ten minutes saw both sides trying to get used to the challenging conditions. The next chance coming just after the tenth minute through Riley Cox-Barlow. Cox-Barlow shooting across the face from a right side position inside the box after a Cooper Hanagan ball caused the hosts defence some issues.

A good period for the Raiders resulting in a goal in the 20th minute. A good period of possession seeing Hanagan once again cross into the area from the right which found Charlie Ragg whose header fell to Noah Chianese at the back post to finish..

Mt Druitt Town Rangers responding soon after, Andre Martins combining with Daniel Wong, Wong’s shot saved low by Mario Aleksic. The hosts just starting to play themselves back into the contest before a stoppage for a loss of some lighting.

And wouldn’t you know it, the Town Rangers scored straight after the lights came back on, Daniel Wong finishing with his head from a Jordan Gomez free-kick on the left wing..

The hosts well on top at this point with a Andre Martins header narrowly missing just before the 40th minute. Martins finding their second goal soon after, Garang Awac sending in a lovely ball from the right wing which was heading home emphatically by Martins. Daniel Wong also playing a role in the build up.

There was a sense of lethargy in the SD Raiders build up as the second half began, with several passes just making it to a team mate with the hosts looking ready to pounce. Martins having a couple of efforts early in the second half.

While SD Raiders launched a promising looking attack in the 54th minute resulting in a Noah Chianese shot high and wide of the target. Charlie Ragg once again involved prominently in their attack.

Both sides creating their own chances with Garang Awac next up for the Town Rangers, his shot wide of the left post once again.

The intensity rising as the game entered the final half hour, SD Raiders going close through Cox-Barlow in the 64th minute, his shot blocked on it’s way towards goal in a dangerous endeavour forward.

Raiders grabbing their equaliser just after the 70th minute. An attack down the right seeing the ball catch the hand of a Mt Druitt defender sliding along the ground. Jairo Torne Fernandez making no mistake with a calmly taken penalty into the right side of the net.

As they have done so many times this season, it was the hosts who would find a way to get the three points. And you guessed it, Andre Martins played a key role in the goal with his low cross from the left wing allowing Charles Mendy to finish inside the six yard area for the eventual winner.

Mt Druitt Town Rangers next face Bankstown City away from home Tuesday night while SD Raiders host Nepean FC 24 hours later.

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 3 (Wong 32’, Martins 43’, Mendy 83’)

SD Raiders 2 (Chianese 20’, Torne Fernandez 72’)


Nepean FC 2-1 Macarthur Rams

Nepean FC secured a big result at the bottom of the table with a 2-1 win over Macarthur Rams in Friday night action.

Capitalising on a well earned point last weekend, their second victory of the season sees them move off the bottom, coach Stephen Appleby hoping the momentum can carry them forward.

While in contrast, it’s a fifth straight defeat for Macarthur Rams who could still find themselves in a bit of trouble if they don’t pick up a result soon.

It was a fixture where the hosts did have to come from behind however with Macarthur Rams opening the games account before the quarter hour. Jacob Esposito converting their early penalty in the 13th minute of play.

Marcelo Martellotta equalising in first half injury time, before Lachlan Sepping scored the eventual winner just after the 55th minute. Nepean perhaps unlucky to not add to their tally throughout the game.

Nepean FC face SD Raiders away from home midweek, while Macarthur Rams next face Canterbury Bankstown, both those game Wednesday night.

Nepean FC 2 (Martelotta 48’, Sepping 58’)

Macarthur Rams 1 (Espositio 13’)

Blacktown Spartans 2-2 Dunbar Rovers

Indeed there are signs of life in the bottom two as Dunbar Rovers took a point from their fixture against Blacktown Spartans at the same time.

A second straight draw for the visitors has seen them build a bit of confidence while the result is definitely a disappointing one for Blacktown Spartans who are struggling for consistency.

All four goals in this one came in the first half with both sides taking the lead at different points. Daisuke Yamaguchi scoring the first in the 19th minute for the visitors before Sulleyman Bangura equalised ten minutes later.

The Spartans then going on to take the lead through a Jamie Percevski goal in the 37th minute. With Dunbar bouncing back with an equaliser of their own, once again scored by Yamaguchi.

A big chance falling to Lucas Ramirez-Sebastiani late on for the Rovers but things finished level. Blacktown Spartans next face Bulls FC Academy Wednesday night while Dunbar make the short trip to the Village Green 24 hours prior.

Blacktown Spartans 2 (Bangura 29’, Percevski 37’)

Dunbar Rovers 2 (Yamaguchi 19’ 39’)

Inter Lions 0-5 UNSW FC

Best win since their promotion? UNSW FC put together a five star performance away from home in their win over Inter Lions.

Their second straight away victory, they took a two goal lead into half time before they capitalised on an extra man in the final fifteen minutes. The win seeing them jump above Inter Lions after 17 rounds into 7th place.

The students opened the scoring with their first goal coming in the 17th minute. Jeremy Cox finding a bit of space outside his marker on the left, his right footed shot placed underneath the keeper for the opener.

A lead which was doubled 15 minutes later, Thomas Quilligan rising highest to meet a Matias Da Silva Santos corner, heading into the bottom right corner for a 2-0 half time advantage.

It turned out to be a frustrating evening for the hosts and they were reduced to ten before the 75th minute with Oliver Green given a straight red. UNSW showing no mercy from that point on, Matias Da Silva Santos and Gabriel Lopez both scoring penalties before Kevin Lopes added their fifth goal in the 85th minutes combining with Keeghan Burke who grabbed an assist.

UNSW FC face Dunbar Rovers Tuesday night, while Inter Lions will be looking to turn around this result against Rydalmere Lions.

Inter Lions 0

UNSW FC 5 (Cox 22’, Quilligan 37’, Da Silva Santos 80’, Lopez 85’, Lopes 87’)

Canterbury Bankstown 0-3 Hakoah FC

Hakoah FC bounced back from a couple of uncharacteristic results with a 3-0 victory over Canterbury Bankstown at Jensen Park.

Reclaiming their place in third position (at least for now), Hakoah were back to their best after being uncharacteristically below par last weekend. Two first half goals setting them on their way before a third was added later.

The game started with both sides looking to play their game, Hakoah controlling possession while Canterbury Bankstown looked to strike in transition..

Hakoah finding their first goal before the quarter hour, Phillip Lapanaitis tapping home from close range after some sustained pressure. One goal becoming two just before the break through Jayden Tran who finished off an attacking move down the left side.

Needing a response, Canterbury Bankstown enjoyed a better second half in response, perhaps unlucky to not find a goal of their own before Hakoah added a third goal, Samuel Young finding the back of the net in the 87th minute for the 3-0 victory.

Canterbury Bankstown 0

Hakoah FC 3 (Lapanaitis 13’, Tran 39’, Young 87’)

Both Northern Tigers v Bankstown City and Bonnyrigg White Eagles v Rydalmere were washed out. While Bulls FC Academy v Dulwich Hill will resume at a date to be determined .

By Justin Smith