The Results of the State Championships 2007 (Sat 3rd Nov – Sun 4th Nov)

Slow Down Grandpa (Campbelltown) 6
Sydney Magic PCYC (Marrickville) 4
Match Report
Grandpa?s too fast for Magic
The Campbelltown Quakes alter ego?s The Slow Down Grandpa?s were too fast and too experienced for a young Sydney PCYC Magic to deservedly win the Open Mens 2007 State Futsal Championship at the Bankstown Basketball Stadium.
Although dressed in drab green and black shirts and shorts the Grandpa?s sense of fun paid dividends as they ran out 6-4 winners. The Grandpa?s opened the scoring when Simon Keith received the ball on the right side and skipped inside the defender and fired the ball across the keeper and into the net. The Magic tried to counter but it was the Grandpa?s who looked the most threatening with Shane Soutter and Tuan Cao causing them problems but were not able to convert their chances. Eventually the Grandpa?s scored again when a blocked shot fell to Gary Seymour out on the right who slammed a great shot into the top corner.
The way back into the game for the Magic got that much harder when Tuan Cao shook his marker and sped down the right flank and slotted the ball past the advancing keeper to take a commanding 3-0 nil lead. The Magic gave themselves a lifeline when Andrew Paine converted a 6th foul penalty just before half time.
The PCYC?s prospects took a dive when the Grandpa?s extended their lead when Tuan Cao received the ball with his back to goal, held off his marker then suddenly turned and drilled the ball home to make 4-1. PCYC replied with a nicely worked goal to Dylan Madony. But the Grandpa?s replied immediately as Tuan Cao grabbed his hatrick when he pounced on a loose ball after keeper Peter Spathis had initially made an excellent save.
To their credit the Magic never gave up and the talented Andres Gomes scoredto make it 5-3 then Tuan Cao grabbed his fourth when hit a brilliant volley over the keeper from the right sideline. Andres Gomes scored again late for the Magic but the game was never in doubt as the Grandpa?s combination of teamwork and experience always kept them in control.

Sydney Magic (Marrickville) 3
Ca Ching (Campbelltown) 2
Match Report
Quake rumbled by Magic Sydney
The Sydney PCYC Magic put in a commanding performance to fight back from a goal down to deservedly win the Open Womens final against the Campbelltown Quake who played the tournament under the name of Cha Ching.
The Quake settled into the game by setting up an organised defensive framework with the intention of hitting the Magic on the break. While the Magic like to keep the tempo fast using their speed and skills to out play their opponents. In the early exchanges both keepers were called upon to make fine saves.
The deadlock was broken when defensive lynchpin Joanne Coupland latched onto a loose ball and slammed a fine shot past the keeper to give the Quake a 1-0 lead. The goal led to a period of sustained pressure from the Magic. The Quake set about some resilient defensive work but could not hold the Magic out as Natalie Spirovski ran at the heart of the defence riding several tackles before slotting the ball home from close range to level up the scores.
Jo Saliba dispossessed a Quake player then saw her effort cannon off the woodwork. Shortly after Quake keeper Renee Loizou made an excellent double save from Jo Saliba then Nat Spirovski. The Magic then took the lead when Jo Saliba fired the ball home from close range. The Magic then stamped their authority on the game when they hit a third just before the break to make it 3-1 at half time.
The score line forced the Quake to change their tactic a little in the second half and employ a more open style. This led to a very entertaining half as both sides went in search of goals. The quicker tempo always suits the skilful Sydney
Magic teams and they nearly put the game beyond doubt when they twice hit the woodwork. Nat Spirovski then made a fine last ditch tackle to deny Caitlin Jarvie from scoring.
The Quakes desperation turned to joy when Claire Walsh bundled the ball over the line to make it 2-3 after Magic keeper had bravely blocked previous attempts.
The Magic then hit the post for a third time after being awarded a 6th foul penalty.
In a last ditch effort to level the game the Quake keeper sent a long throw down court into the Magic?s penalty area, several players jumped for the ball with the Magic keeper blocking a header then desperately clinging on to stop the ball going over the line.
Despite a spirited comeback by Cha Ching the cash went to the Sydney Magic who?s superior and exciting skills deservedly won them the final.

Sydney Benfica (Marrickville) 6
Plumpton (Bonnyrigg) 4

16 Girls
Special Ed (Campbelltown) 4
Buffalo Raiders (Glenwood) 1

16 Boys
Sydney City All stars (Bonnyrigg) 5
Enfield Rovers (Ashfield) 2

15 Boys
Sydney Benfica (Marrickville) 3
Sydney City All Stars (Bonnyrigg) 2

14 Boys
Liverpool Fusion (Miller) 4
Hills Raiders (Glenwood) 1

14 Girls
Mascot Vipers (Mascot) 4
Sydney Benfica (Marrickville) 2

13 Boys
Mascot Vipers (Mascot) 6
Sydney Benfica (Marrickville) 4

12 Girls
Skirts FC (Campbelltown) 5
Mascot Vipers (Mascot) 2