Conference League Northern Round Six Review


This week?s results in the Northern Conference League has resulted in a three way tie at the top of the ladder, with all three teams boasting a 5-0-0 record, together with very healthy goal differences.
Hawkesbury lead the division courtesy of a goal difference of +23, and continued their winning ways with a 2-1 away victory against Springwood at Summerhayes Park on Saturday night.
Davies of Springwood caught the Hawkes napping however after a quick free kick in the first minute, taken whilst the keeper was still setting up his wall, and allowed to stand by the referee.
Vanderburg grabbed the equalizer a minute before half time, before Sluiter scored the winner for the Hawkes on 53 minutes to put them top of the ladder.
Roosters FC are second on goal difference, with a hard fought 1-0 away win against Bathurst ?75 at Alec Lamberton Field. Big striker Hatipoglu got the winner on 58 minutes to give the Roosters a valuable three points.
Prospect United and Gladesville Ryde Magic played out a predictable 1-1 draw at William Lawson Reserve. Gatt scored for Magic on 68 minutes, before Derigo equalized for United with just 10 minutes left to give both teams a share of the points.
In the final match of the round, Luddenham Oval played host to a goal extravaganza, with the home side, Luddenham United, getting the points against Penang in a nine goal thriller.
Both teams went into the match without a point, nor a win, for 2008, and were both determined to kick start their season. But it was Penang that started like a house on fire, with Hoare grabbing the first goal after 7 minutes, Smith making it two on 29 minutes, and Dowzard scoring the third for the visitors 11 minutes before half time.
Ciappa finally pulled one back for Luddenham after 36 minutes, sending the home team into the break licking their wounds.
Just three minutes after the break, Smith made it 4-1 to Penang, and surely they had their first win of the season.
But Luddenham United forgot to read the script, and roared into action, with goals by Malouf (58?) and Silva (78?) setting up a grande finale. Nunemo scored the equalizer 5 minutes before the end, before Khatari grabbed an unlikely winner on 90 minutes to give the home side an exciting first victory of the year.
The bye this week fell to Balmain SC, who drop to third on the ladder on goal difference, but gives them a rest leading up to next week?s big top-of-the-ladder match versus Hawkesbury City SC.
-By Frank Speranza