Division One Youth League Rounds 8 and 9 Reviews


A prime example of this happened this week when six of the seven scheduled fixtures were played on Tuesday. Then on Saturday, the day the Weather Bureau described as the wettest in eight years, two of the five scheduled fixtures were completed while on Sunday there were two fixtures listed on the draw and only one of those was played.
Club Championship
In the action from Round 8 Southern NSW collected a very handy eight points from their home matches against Northbridge while Nepean and Hurstville City Minotaurs split the points at six apiece when they played on Tuesday.
Gladesville Ryde Magic bagged nine points from their trip to Camden Tigers and Stanmore Hawks earned nine points when they hosted Hills Brumbies.
Hakoah pocket ten points from their away matches against Balmain East Tigers while Mt Druitt Town Rangers had their best day of the season when they grabbed all the points from their home games against Inter Lions.
The clash between Springwood United and St George was washed out.
The Round 9 fixtures between Hurstville City Minotaurs and Springwood United, Inter Lions and Balmain East Tigers and Gladesville Ryde Magic and Mt Druitt Town Rangers were all washed out on Saturday.
Southern NSW and Nepean shared the spoils at seven apiece while Camden Tigers took advantage of the venue switch to Ron Dine Memorial Reserve when the Tigers took twelve points from their encounter with St George.
The Sunday fixtures saw the clash between Hills Brumbies and Northbridge washed out while Hakoah took nine points from their home games against Stanmore Hawks.
That leaves the table in a very interesting position with Stanmore Hawks and Camden Tigers in a neck-and-neck struggle for the top spot with St George only six points behind them in third place.
Gladesville Ryde Magic are six points further back at fourth and they are only two points ahead of fifth placed Mt Druitt Town Rangers who are only a single point in front of sixth placed Hakoah.
Eight points further adrift at seventh are Hurstville City Minotaurs who have a break of a mere two points on eight placed Southern NSW.
Then there is a gap of twenty points to Hills Brumbies who are ninth and they are two points ahead of Nepean and five point clear of eleventh placed Balmain East Tigers. Five points further back are Springwood United who are nine points in front of thirteenth placed Northbridge and twelve points ahead of fourteenth placed Inter Lions.
Grade 13
In Round 8 action played on Tuesday Southern NSW made it seven wins on the trot when they accounted for Northbridge with a 4-2 scoreline while Nepean battled it out with Hurstville City Minotaurs for a 1-1 draw.
Camden Tigers took their winning streak to eight games when they were 3-0 winners over the previously unbeaten Gladesville Ryde Magic. The first half saw some exciting football played by both teams with chances created at either end of the park. A very entertaining first half but neither side was able to grab that vital goal. As has been the case in previous weeks, Camden dominated possesion and field position in the second half and it was Jack Harris who made the vital break through for the Tigers in the 33rd minute with a shot from just outside the 18 yard box to beat the Gladesville keeper. In the 55th minute, Kalin Cachia put the Tigers two up when he scored with a strike from twenty metres. Only two minutes later, Tigers striker Khit Minh scored his fifth goal in as many matches to wrap the game up for Camden. A very enjoyable match to watch and both teams can be very proud of the part that they played in this game.
Hills Brumbies came up with a 3-0 result when they faced Stanmore Hawks for whom this was a fifth straight loss while Hakoah were a bit too good for Balmain East Tigers, winning the encounter 5-0.
Mt Druitt Town Rangers produced a 2-0 success when they met Inter Lions while the clash between Springwood United and St George was washed out.
Only two Round 9 matches were played on Saturday.
Camden Tigers maintained their perfect run with their ninth win from as many games, this one a 1-0 success over St George who saw their four-match winning streak come to a screaming halt. This was a quality game of football with both sides looking to take charge at various times throughout the first thirty minutes. Strong defence from both sides and some solid goal keeping by Clarkson (Camden) and Maniakas (St George) saw the teams go to the break with the score locked at 0 – 0. The second half mirrored the first with both teams looking to create that chance that would break the deadlock but again the defence of both teams denied there opponents that opportunity. In the 49th minute of an exciting second half, Camden’s big number 9, Khit Minh took his chance and went on a solo run through the St George defence to find himself one on one with the keeper. Despite the best effort of Maniakas, a quality right foot finish from Minh opened the scoring for the match. St George lifted their intensity in search of an equalising goal but strong Tigers defence saw them finally take the result 1 – 0 to remain undefeated and at the top of the table after nine rounds.
Southern NSW took their unbeaten run to eight matches when they were held to a 1-1 draw by Nepean.
On Sunday the clash between Hills Brumbies and Northbridge was yet another victim of the weather while Hakoah took the points with a very solid 4-0 victory over Stanmore Hawks.
Camden Tigers have a lead of five points at the top of the table and they are followed by Southern NSW who are four points ahead of third placed Gladesville Ryde Magic.
Only one point fourth back at fourth are Hakoah, one point ahead of St George and two points better off than Hurstville City Minotaurs while Mt Druitt Town Rangers are only one point behind the Minotaurs at seventh.
Nepean eighth and only a point behind the Rangers and the are followed by Hills Brumbies who are three points further back and Stanmore Hawks who are four points further away.
Northbridge are in eleventh position with Springwood United at twelfth and they are being pursued by Balmain East Tigers and Inter Lions are bringing up the rear.
Grade 14
Tuesday?s Round 8 matches saw Southern NSW battle out a 2-2 draw with Northbridge while Nepean were 5-2 winners over Hurstville City Minotaurs.
Gladesville Ryde Magic shaded Camden Tigers with a 1-0 result. Gladesville looked to have the better of the early stages and were rewarded in the 15th minute when a Jayson Tonkin strike beat the Tigers? keeper to give his side the advantage. Gus Hogbin came close to leveling the score in the 23rd minute with a super long range strike that scraped the top of the bar. From this point on, it was the defence of both sides that determined the final result. Both teams continued to create chances but stubborn defence prevented any further score. Camden can consider themselves very unlucky not to have at least picked up a point but Gladesville were very happy to leave Camden with three valuable points.
Stanmore Hawks produced a sensational 7-0 scoreline when they met Hills Brumbies.
Balmain East Tigers were a bit too good for Hakoah when they posted an impressive 3-0 result while Mt Druitt Town Rangers were 2-0 winners over Inter Lions.
Two Round 9 made it onto the ground on Saturday with Southern NSW accounting for Nepean 2-1 and St George taking the points when they defeated Camden Tigers 2-0. The Tigers had a very enterprising start to the match creating several scoring chances but were unable to turn these chances into goals. Somewhat against the run of play, it was the Saints who opened the scoring in the 15th minute when a J.Valia strike from just inside the 18 yard box beat a diving Camden keeper. For the remainder of the first half, both sides continued to play some great passing football and the game moved from end to end with St George going to the break one goal up. The second half again saw the Tigers push forward in an effort to find that all important goal but some solid defence from the Saints continued to frustrate the Tigers. St George then began to get on top and looked the more likely to score. Some great saves by Nathan Polinsky in goal for the Tigers kept their hopes alive but in the 55th minute, a great team goal finished off by J.Vega put St George 2 – 0 ahead and the game was all but over. Camden never gave up but it was St George who would run out very deserved 2 – 0 victors.
On Sunday Hakoah accounted for Stanmore Hawks with a 3-0 scoreline, a remarkable result in that the Hawks were both suffering their first defeat for the season and they conceded goals for the very first time.
That means Stanmore Hawks have a lead of three points at the head of the table followed by St George and then, only one points further back are Mt Druitt Town Rangers at third.
One point away at fourth are Balmain East Tigers and they are only one point ahead of Hakoah and three points in front of sixth placed Camden Tigers.
Southern NSW are three points back at seventh with Hurstville City Minotaurs and Gladesville Ryde Magic only two points away at eighth and ninth while Nepean are tenth and only one point further away.
Two points further adrift are eleventh placed Northbridge, followed by Inter Lions, Springwood United and Hills Brumbies.
Grade 15
On Tuesday six Round 8 matches were played with Southern NSW coming up with a very strong 5-0 success then they faced Northbridge and Hurstville City Minotaurs rolling Nepean with a 2-1 scoreline.
Gladesville Ryde Magic took the points from Camden Tigers with a 4-1 result. Gladesville missed an early opportunity from the penalty spot and this miss appeared to lift the Tigers who began to create chances only to be denied by the Gladesville keeper H. Meares. In the 29th minute Gladesville opened the scoring through C.Rosano. This goal then lifted the visitors and only three minutes later, J.Hayes made it 2-0 to the Magic. The second half again saw Camden throw everything at their opponents and in the 50th minute, they reduced the Gladesville lead when big #10 Tony Daoud struck a super free kick from 35 metres out that soared into the top left corner of the goal.Camden?s resurgence was short lived as Gladesville were next to score in the 52nd minute through J.Clare and they closed out the match 5 minutes later with a great team goal from X.Costa. A very impressive performance by the Magic.
Stanmore Hawks shaded Hills Brumbies when their clash ended at 2-1.
Balmain East Tigers and Hakoah fought it out for a 1-1 draw and Mt Druitt Town Rangers registered a very solid 5-0 result from their game against Inter Lions.
Then, in Saturday?s Round 9 matches Southern NSW got the better of Nepean by the odd goal in seven and Camden Tigers edged out St George with a 1-0 scoreline. The game started well with both teams testing each others defence with St George unlucky not to score in the 17th minute when a great scoring opportunity bounced back off the woodwork into the arms of Camdens keeper, Gage Walsh. Another shot hit the cross bar nine minutes later and luck was certainly riding with the Tigers with the first half ending scoreless. St George dominated the early stages of the second half but the defence of both Liam Hastie and Jake Perricone at the back for the Tigers continually frustrated the St George attacking efforts. In the 60th minute a clumsy tackle from one of the Tigers defenders resulted in the referee pointing to the penalty spot. A hush came over the crowd as the St George player stepped up to take this chance but the quite soon erupted into loud cheers and clapping as Gage Walsh dived to his left to first parry then catch the bouncing ball. The Tigers lifted and pushed upfield in search of their own chance for glory and in the 68th minute it was Kemp O’Connor who would put his stamp on the game with a superb left foot volley that rocketed into the back of the net to give the Tigers a 1- 0 win.
In Sunday?s match Stanmore Hawks accounted for Hakoah with a 1-0 scoreline.
Southern NSW are the leaders on the competition table by two points and they are being pursued by Mt Druitt Town Rangers while Stanmore Hawks are three points further away at third.
Fourth placed Gladesville Ryde Magic are only two points behind the Hawks and they are a point ahead of Camden Tigers who a one point advantage over St George.
Balmain East Tigers are only a point behind the Saints at seventh and a point better off than Hurstville City Minotaurs with Springwood United five points further back at ninth.
They are followed by Nepean, Hakoah, Northbridge, Inter Lions and Hills Brumbies.
Grade 16
The Round 8 matches were played on Tuesday with the clash between Southern NSW and Northbridge finishing in a 1-1 draw while Nepean and Hurstville City Minotaurs battled away for a 2-2 draw.
Camden Tigers pocketed the points when they defeated Gladesville Ryde Magic 1-0. The first half ended 0 – 0 but saw some good football played by both sides with several scoring opportunities created. Camden Coach Joshua Hunter obviously said the right things to his players at the break as they were on fire in the early stages of the second half with a pin-point passing game that opened up the Gladesville defence. In the 46th minute, Luke McCallum scored what was to be the only goal of the game after some accurate passing from the Tigers midfield and a twenty metre strike on goal. Both teams continued to play with width in attack in an attempt to break the opponents defence but there were no more goals to be scored and in the end Camden were deserving 1 – 0 victors
Stanmore Hawks were 1-0 winners when they met Hills Brumbies.
Hakoah came up with a 2-1 result when they faced Balmain East Tigers and Mt Druitt Town Rangers produced a 2-0 result from their clash with Inter Lions.
On Saturday two matches from Round 9 were played with Southern NSW going down by the odd goal in five to Nepean and Camden Tigers taking the points from St George with a 2-0 result. The first half was a tight physical affair with both teams looking to dominate. The Tigers were creating the better chances to score but a strong St George back four and some ordinary finishing by the Tigers forwards saw the teams go to the half time break 0 – 0. It was a very focussed Camden side that took the field for the second half and their determination was rewarded in the 49th minute when a strong Nick Holmes solo run saw him beat the keeper to open the scoring for the Tigers. In the 52nd minute, Camden midfielder Luke McCallum struck a magnificent ball from thirty metres that gave St George keeper, B. Voysey no chance and the Tigers had quickly taken a 2 – 0 lead. Eight minutes later, Josh Thurston scored the third for the Tigers and the game was all but over. St George continued to push forward for the final 10 minutes, but in the end it was Camden who would finish deserved 3 – 0 winners.
In the Sunday match Hakoah got the better of the previously unbeaten Stanmore Hawks when they were 3-1 winners.
Despite that loss, the Hawks have a lead of two points at the top of the table while Hakoah are in second spot and then Hurstville City Minotaurs are five points further back at third.
Two points away are Gladesville Ryde Magic, Springwood United, St George and Camden Tigers with Mt Druitt Town Rangers two points further away at eighth.
Hills Brumbies are one points back at ninth and then there is a break of three points to tenth placed Southern NSW and they are followed by Inter Lions, Nepean, Northbridge and Balmain East Tigers.
Grade 18
Tuesday?s Round 8 matches saw Northbridge account for Southern NSW with a 6-1 scoreline while Nepean and Hurstville City Minotaurs shared the spoils when their match ended at 1-1.
Gladesville Ryde Magic were 2-1 winners in their encounter with Camden Tigers. This was a very anticipated and important match for both Camden and Gladesville and on the day, neither side let the spectators down. The match was played at a frantic pace and the early speed and skill of the Magic strikers bothered the normally solid Tigers defence. Gladesville had the better of the first half even though both sides created opportunities. It was Gladesville who opened the scoring through R Hezlett in the 34th minute. Camden then lifted looking for a quick response and probably should have scored in the 42nd minute but a foul by the Gladesville keeper prevented the goal but ended up with him receiving a Red Card. With the one man advantage, most spectators thought that Camden would come back into the game in the second half but Gladesville forgot to read the script and defended strongly to continually deny the frustrated Camden strikers. In the 63rd minute, Gladesville striker J.Laguzza scored from a Tigers keeper fumble to give the Magic a well deserved 2 – 0 lead. Camden continued to be frustrated in attack, but in the 75th minute Ben Knobel gave the Tigers a glimmer of hope when he beat the Magic keeper to open the scoring for the home side. The last 15 minutes saw Camden continue to push for the equaliser but it was Gladesville’s committed defence in this period that saw them run out deserving 2 – 1 winners on the day.
Hills Brumbies were too good for Stanmore Hawks when they were 3-0 winners thanks to goals from Glen Kelshaw, Tomas Sarac and Dario Di Guilio while Balmain East Tigers lost 1-0 to Hakoah and Mt Druitt Town Rangers posted a 3-1 victory over Inter Lions.
On Saturday the Round 9 games gave Nepean the maximum points when they registered a 3-1 victory over Southern NSW while Camden Tigers raised quite a few eyebrows when they were 8-2 winners over the previously unbeaten St George. The first thirty minutes saw both sides settle into a game that was fast paced and physical. It was Camden’s Matt Trotter who opened the scoring in the 32nd minute after a good build up from the Tigers midfield. From this point, the Tigers looked to push on to double their adavantage and it was John McPhillips who scored in the 41st minute to put the Tigers well on top. The next two minutes saw Matt Trotter get his second in the 42nd minute and K.Derus pull one back for St George in the 43rd minute. The half time score was 3 – 1 to Camden. The second half saw Camden look to continue their dominance of the back end of the first half and it was Steve Colusso who shut the door on St George with a double in the 58th and 59th minute to give the Tigers a commanding 5 – 1 lead. In the 66th minute a long range strike from R.Lewin gave St George their second and a glimmer of hope. In the 83rd minute, Camden stiker Ben Knobel used his pace to beat the defence and score the Tigers sixth. In the 85th minute, Matt Trotter completed his hat trick and it was Camden 7 – 2. Trotter rounded off a special individual performance netting his fouth goal in the 87th minute and this ended the scoring in a 10 goal thriller with Camden running out very convincing 8 – 2 winners.
In the only Sunday game Stanmore Hawks were 3-1 winners when they faced Hakoah.
Hills Brumbies are the competition frontrunners by a margin of only one point with Gladesville Ryde Magic and St George in hot pursuit while Camden Tigers and Stanmore Hawks are one point further back.
Then there is a gap of four points to sixth placed Hurstville City Minotaurs, a further two points to Mt Druitt Town Rangers and another two points to Hakoah and Nepean.
Nepean are ninth and Northbridge are tenth and they are being followed by Springwood United, Inter Lions, Balmain East Tigers and Southern NSW.
-By Barry Davis