Round 17 – NPL NSW Women’s Review

Match action during the Women's National Premier Leagues NSW Round 17 match between Univeristy of Sydney SFC and Illawarra Stingrays at USYD Soccer Park on July 1, 2018 in Camperdown, Australia. #NPLNSW @NPLNSW  #WNPL

What a round of action in the NPL NSW Women’s competition with the Sutherland Shire recording their first win of the season.

Macarthur Rams 2-1 NWS Koalas

It was full throttle at Lynwood Park on Sunday night as the Macarthur Rams showed their premiership credentials with a come from behind victory against the North West Sydney Koalas.

Morgan Roberts opened the scoring for the Koalas very early on before the Rams equalised through Georgia Yeoman-Dale.

Kate Hensman brought the points home with a sublime finish in the second period.

The loss was a massive shot in the foot for the Koalas’ finals hopes, now sitting six-points behind fifth position.

With not even 90 seconds played, the away side had the lead.

A confused Rams defence looked in all sorts as Morgan Roberts had acres of space and time, calmly slotting the ball beyond the keeper.

Morgan Roberts should’ve had her second after more confusion between the Rams defence and goalkeeper, only for the striker not able to get enough power on her shot.

The Koalas continued to press and two minutes later Nat Tobin almost found the back of the net from distance, forcing Brianna Clarke to tip the ball over the bar.

Georgia Yeoman-dale lead the home sides first serious foray forward on 15 minutes but Romina Parraguirre Plaza had it under control.

On 19 minutes the home side had their equaliser from the spot.

A brain snap from the Koalas defender saw her handball the ball, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

Yeoman-Dale stepped up and made no mistake, sending the keeper the wrong way.

Emma Stanbury almost had the Koalas back in front on 33 minutes, seizing on  another defensive error only for her shot to be saved by Clarke.

From the resulting corner, Erin Pridmore rose and headed well, only for the ball to go inches wide of the top corner.

Yeoman-Dale should’ve had her second on 36 minutes but Parraguirre Plaza made a fine save before the Koalas cleared their lines.

The Koalas came out bright in the second period with Roberts looking lively.

On 51 minutes she beat her defender down the right before cutting back for Panayiota Petratos who shot just wide of the target.

Three minutes later and again the Koalas went close as a Jess Frampton cross was almost diverted into the Rams net by Renee Rollason.

On 67 minutes against the run of play the Rams hit the front.

A run down the right and a low cross by Yeoman-Dale found Kate Hensman who finished first time with a fine touch beyond Parraguirre Plaza.

The away side almost equalised in the 70th minute through Kiara Farquhar but her goal bound header was somehow kept out by the Rams.

Ten minutes from the end, Kirrilee Cameron went close for the Rams but her shot went just wide of the post.

In the 86th minute again the Koalas threatened, this time through Tahlia Macri who beat Rollasson for speed but couldn’t get her shot into the back of the net as the Rams scrambled well.

The Rams went the other way two minutes later as Rose Galea played a fantastic ball across for Kahlia Muilwyk who hit a first time volley, only for Parraguire Plaza to save well.

Sydney University 2-1 Illawarra Stingrays

At Sydney University Football Ground, it was a top of the table clash between Sydney University and Illawarra Stingrays.

It only took two minutes for the home side to hit the front as Julie-Ann Russell found the back of net.

The Stingrays recovered from the early set back but couldn’t find a break through before the break.

Mid-way through the second half the Stingrays had their equaliser as captain Michelle Carney found the back of the net.

But the points would go to the home side as Brianna Oliverio found the winner with 13 minutes remaining on the clock.

The victory moves Uni back above the Stingrays to the top of the league with a game in hand.

Emerging Jets 0-8 Northern Tigers

The Emerging Jets hosted Northern Tigers at Lake Macquarie Regional Football Facility.

Five first half goals had the travelling side well on their way to the victory as they went into the sheds leading 5-0.

Another three in the second half saw the Tigers round off an 8-0 victory.

It was the Tigers first win in 8 weeks and it will bring relief to the whole club.

Sutherland Shire 2-1 Bankstown City

At Harrie Denning Centre it was the battle of the lower placed teams as Sutherland Shire hosted Bankstown City.

The home side lead at half time and were only 45 minutes away from their first triumph of the campaign.

And they’d hold out, even though they were reduced to 10 players, Sutherland managed to secure their first win of the season, overcoming Bankstown 2-1.

Georgia Manos and Morgan Maxwell were the Shires heroes as they look to continue to improve as the season comes to a close.

Manly United 4-3 Blacktown Spartans

At Cromer Park, Manly United were desperate for points as they took on the Blacktown Spartans.

United got off to the right start, taking an early lead through Claudia Cholakian.

Blacktown hit back soon after as Mel Caceres found the back of the net.

But a drop in concentration cost the Spartans before half time as Manly scored two goals in quick succession, first through Sunny Franco and then Sophie Harding, to lead 3-1 at half time.

The away side wouldn’t lie down though, pegging Manly back when Ashlie Crofts found the back of the net.

United would soon restore their two-goal advantage as Sunny Franco picked up her second.

The sea-sawing battle continue when Diyana Cakovski made it 4-3 late on but that was all the gallant Spartans could do.