Round 7 Review – Futsal Premier League Open Women’s


Crossing the halfway point of the Open Women’s Futsal Premier League season, there were some important results as we head into the back half.

Three of the top four sides claimed victory while Campbelltown City Quake opened their win account for the season with victory of the Majik. With nothing further to add, lets get into our review of the weekend.

Dural Warriors 6 v Inner West Futsal Club 1

Dural Warriors further cemented their position atop of the table with a victory over Inner West Futsal Club Saturday afternoon.

Scoring six while conceding one for the second week in a row, they walked away ecstatic with a good performance across the board scoring five goals before the half time break. Yes, they were ruthless in front of goal, and it began from the opening minute with Rachel Perrins scoring twice in the first six minutes. Skye Hill then added a third before Samantha Nagy added a fourth and fifth with Bianca Dobson finishing the victory later on.

It’s another tough result for Inner West Futsal Club who now find themselves on a four-game losing streak. Tara Pender found the net after the half hour mark for her second goal in as many weeks, but a comeback proved beyond them against a strong Dural side. They face Mountain Majik next weekend eyeing their first win of the season.

Mascot Vipers 12 v Enfield Allstars 1

Mascot Vipers took out a one-sided affair with an eleven-goal victory over Enfield Allstars in their round seven matchup.

The Vipers were simply ruthless against their visitors bringing up a dozen goals within the fixture.  Tess Quilligan (3) and Trudy Camelleri (4) starred with hat-tricks in the fixture. While Sienna Fraser and Sarah Moore also picked up braces, Sarah Morgan the other scorer with a 43rd minute goal. With nine of those goals in the second half, they were in no mood for mercy.

For Enfield Allstars, this firmly goes down as a weekend to forget. Renee Houliaras found the net in the second half, but it will go down as no more than consolation in retrospect. They play twice next weekend, so their focus will quickly move forward to that.

Mountain Majik Futsal Club 2 v Campbelltown City Quake Futsal Club 4

Campbelltown City Quake lifted themselves clear of the wrong end of the table with a victory over Mountain Majik at Valentine Sports Park.

It looked like another one of those days early for the visitors with the scoring opened with an own goal, the ball deflecting off the back of a quake defenders’ leg to put the Majik ahead.

Snapping a six-game winless streak, the Quake had some young blood to thank with Maya Lobo scoring twice in quick succession in the final five minutes of the first half. Chantelle Maniti playing a key role in the first with the assist before Lobo did it all herself for the second with a strike from 10 metres out.

The Quake then took a two-goal lead through another own goal, Maya Lobo once again playing a part with a goal contribution.

Before the Majik brought it back and perhaps deservedly so after an improved effort after the break, Leah Burton scoring their second.

Quake would prove to just be that little too experienced in the latter stages though with Linda Dundek scoring a fourth for their victory, one which they will hope brings a few more in the second half of the season.

Eastern Suburbs Hakoah Futsal Club 2 (Karrys-Stahl 21’, Osman 38’) v UTS Northside Futsal Club 1 (Arrowsmith 45’)

Eastern Suburbs Hakoah kept touch with three other sides in the top four with a victory over UTS Northside at Morris Iemma Sports Centre.

However, they had to overcome a fast-starting UTS Northside side who created multiple opportunities in the first period.

Speaking of said chances, we’ll start there with Daisy Arrowsmith and Emily Bastow in particular threatening early.

But it was Emily Oates to have the first key chance for the visitors after Arrowsmith found her with a ball across the face. Oates drawing a top class save from Keira Schwereb in the host’s net.

UTS continued to apply pressure in attack, Bastow continuing to find joy down the right which led to Grace Arnold hitting the base of the left post after the quarter hour.  While Caitlin Campbell and Gisella Pipino were able to get shots off for the hosts on the break.

Indeed, Hakoah were starting to get things together as the half wore on and they were rewarded with a goal just before the break. Gisella Pipino providing the cross which Alexia Karrys-Stahl finished in true futsal fashion a flick around the back making it ways into the net.

Suddenly the momentum in the match had changed with Hakoah coming out from the break looking a better side. Which obviously mean UTS Northside were going to have the opening chances of the second half. Daisy Arrowsmith drawing a one-on-one stop from Schwereb before Anneke Corry hit the crossbar with the follow up. Schwereb once again standing tall soon after with a double save.

Looking back on the game, it was to be decided by two key moments after the half hour. Firstly at one end where Emily Oates hit the crossbar after coming onto the field and interchanging passes. A moment which very much summed up the game for the visitors.

Before Hakoah grabbed a second less than two minutes later, an Antonia Sharp ball from deep finding a free Doris Osman who found the bottom right corner.

Two goals down, Daisy Arrowsmith made things interesting with a consolation on 45 minutes, but Hakoah held on for the victory.

Eastern Suburbs Hakoah play twice next weekend against Mascot Vipers and Enfield Allstars, while UTS Northside face Dural Warriors.

Big thank you to Eric Subijano who took over the reigns for the past couple of weeks.

By Justin Smith