Round 6 Review – League One Men’s


Six top eight sides claimed victory in round six of the FNSW League One Men’s competition in another entertaining Saturday of action in the competition.

A change at the top of the table saw St George FC hand Blacktown Spartans their first defeat of the season. While Hills United overcame a brave Dunbar Rovers to take 2nd position.

We recap that and so much more in our review of the weekend’s events.

MOTR: Bankstown City FC 0 v Hakoah FC 0

Bankstown City and Hakoah FC shared the points in a rather entertaining 0-0 draw at Jensen Park, Saturday evening.

However, both sides were left frustrated with a share of the points as a lack of a finishing touch highlighted the fixture.

Despite what the scoreline suggests, this one started well with both sides exchanging chances in the opening quarter of the match.

Hakoah opening the fixture on five minutes through Samuel Young who was picked out by Josh Fuchs from a deep left-wing position, Young heading marginally wide of the left facing post.

Which was soon followed by the hosts first chance. Nikola Todoroski unable to convert from close range when he really should have after Zac Cairncross found him from deep.

The game had a nice back and forth flow to it by this point with Hakoah created another good opportunity on the quarter hour, Tuson-Firth this time the provider where he found Nicholas Tooley at the back post whose finish was denied by a good Jair Fernandez save.

While Nikola Todoroski was proving to be the main Bankstown threat, the striker unable to turn home a Jeffrey Issa cutback on 20 minutes, the definition of a clear-cut chance.

Ante Tomic next up on 35 minutes, Matthew Moric playing a role in the lead up before Tomic’s left footed strike from the edge of the area was saved by Nikolas Loe. Taeou Chang following up with an effort which went oh so close hitting the outside of the right post after Todoroski brought it down for him as the hosts pushed for a goal.

While Tuson-Firth nearly found the opener at the other end linking with Samuel Young before his low effort was saved by Fernandez.

An entertaining half brought to a close with another good chance for Bankstown captain Todoroski who just couldn’t steer his header goalwards from a Ante Tomic set piece just before the half time whistle.

The second half started at a more measured pace with the first opposition box entry of note falling to the visitors, Nick Drummond squaring it across the face only for Adrian Valenti to get a foot to it too clear.

Bankstown having to be rather patient to create a chance of their own, Mark Moric testing the goalkeeper on 70 minutes.

Mark Moric continued to be a thorn in the visitor’s side, the young attacker going close again with ten minutes left. Drawing a diving save from Nikolas Loe. A chance followed by Mckinley shortly after.

With Daniel Bakrdanikoski sent off late, the hosts did have to weather some late pressure, though Ante Tomic nearly stole the victory late with a strike nearly sneaking in at the near post in injury time.

Hakoah FC sit in midtable ahead of their match against Inter Lions next week, while Bankstown City make the trip up to face Central Coast United next weekend.

St George FC 3 (Conor Quilligan 15’, Reuben Awaritefe 88’ 92’) v Blacktown Spartans FC 0

A very impressive St George FC secured a dominant win over then competition leaders Blacktown Spartans.

At times, the hosts looked irresistible in attack with a brand of football which was pretty on the eye. Conor Quilligan opened the scoring on the quarter hour before Reuben Awaritefe scored twice late to add the exclamation mark.

The visitors Blacktown Spartans weren’t without their chances though, coming out strongly after the half.

Emphasising a strong start to the fixture, St George created two chances in the opening five minutes, birthday boy Patrick O’Shea with the opening one heading over from a Troy Danaskos delivery before Jay Mcgowan sent a ball across the face of goal from the by-line which was scrambled away.

A chance soon after seemed to settle down the visitors, Robert Eremugo with a header of his own missing wide right just after ten minutes.

St George deservedly took the lead on the quarter hour though, a swift passing move allowing Conor Quilligan to break through the Spartans defense. Quilligan slotting the ball past the keeper into the bottom left corner.

That goal settling the game down into a pattern with the hosts controlling possession while the Spartans looked a threat in transition.

The Saints having further chances for Conor Quilligan and Jay Mcgowan before the break, while the Spartans just couldn’t find a teammate when they entered the opposition box.

After the resumption, the hosts seemed to lose a bit of control of the fixture with the game opening up which seemed to suit the visitors transition game.

Although Shunta Nakamura nearly doubled the Saints advantage three minutes into the half a defensive mistake allowing him in one on one, Michael Figueira doing well to deny him.

Spartans first opportunity of the half following through William DiMartino who tried his luck from the edge of the area, comfortably saved.

Alex Malfara the next to have a chance for the hosts putting his effort over the bar inside the hour, Nakamura teeing him up.

Indeed it was end to end stuff at this point with Daniel Durkin and Peter Pelekanos having chances for the visitors, while Jay Mcgowan and Quilligan had chances for the hosts.

It was the hosts who were still deserving of a second though and they made sure of it late. Reuben Awaritefe adding a further two goals, the first from a cutback on the left by-line before Bonmyeong Koo found him with a cross from the right in injury time to add the third.

The win sending St George top before they face Dunbar Rovers next weekend, while Spartans take on Canterbury Bankstown next weekend in a good test of character.

Hills United FC 3 (Jamal Belkadi 48’, Thomas Makko 58’, Eoin Montford 88’) v Dunbar Rovers FC 2 (Daniel Goni 42’, Olivier Beltran-Woodward 45’)

Hills United came back from two goals down to score their fourth victory of the season against Dunbar Rovers.

It took some half time changes for the momentum to change in this one and a late Eoin Montford penalty ensured that the host Hills United claimed a memorable victory.

That memorable victory tag perhaps showing you how well the Dunbar Rovers performed in the opening half, Christian Soares’ side scoring twice to take a 2-0 lead at the break.

So speaking of, Dunbar put together perhaps their best first half of the season and they were rewarded for it with two goals before halftime.

Lucas Vidal playing a role in the lead up for the first before Daniel Goni finished for the first. Before Oliver Beltran-Woodward doubled their lead with the second which snuck in at the near post.

Needing a response from his side, Luke Casserly made attacking changes at the break with Jordan Parfait and Wade Giovenali entering the field. Changes which led to two early goals in the second half.

Jamal Belkadi adding their first to half the deficit before Thomas Makko scored a contender for the goal of the season with a solo run from halfway before finishing in front of goal.

The turnaround completed late on from the penalty spot after Darcy Ellem was brought down in the box. Eoin Montford stepping up to give the hosts their fourth victory of the season.

Hills United face Northern Tigers next up, while Dunbar Rovers have another tough test against St George FC in round seven action.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles FC 2 (Maksim Jez 74’, Tristian Vidic 90’) v Northern Tigers FC 2 (Dean Evans 45’, Kai Denton 52’)

An injury time penalty goal gave Bonnyrigg White Eagles a share of the points in their meeting with Northern Tigers at Bonnyrigg Sports Club.

A game of two halves. Forgive the cliché but it’s the best way to describe this one. Northern Tigers taking out the opening half before Bonnyrigg White Eagles hit back in the second half scoring in dramatic fashion to take away a point.

The visitors were the better side in the first half and took the lead just before the break courtesy of a Dean Evans free kick. A lead which was doubled through Kai Denton with a strikers finish from close range.

From that point however, the hosts came back with a vengeance, Maksim Jez scoring their first goal from his first touch of the ball.

They then had a few good chances for Nikola Krljar and Aaron Peterson before Maksim Jez played a part in the eventual leveller, winning a last minute penalty. Kicking off a procession of events which saw Ryan Attard’s penalty saved before Tristan Vidic reacted first to put the rebound away sending the fans home happy.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles are away to SD Raiders next week while Northern Tigers host Hills Unite

Inter Lions FC 2 (Nichola Paras 2’, Owen Duke 21’) v SD Raiders FC 3 (Noah Chianese 4’, Cooper Hanagan 37’, Mihael Marcic 77’)

SD Raiders were efficient in taking their chances on goal allowing them to overcome Inter Lions 3-2, Saturday evening.

If there’s one thing you can guarantee from an Inter Lions match in this competition, it’s goals at either end and they took the lead twice before eventually falling to a narrow defeat.

While SD Raiders overcame some early jitters before scoring the eventual winner with 13 minutes left.

Speaking of the early jitters, there were two goals before the fifth minute in a chaotic start. Nicholas Paras getting things started for the hosts with some great footwork creating some space before he placed it into the top corner.

However that lead was short lived with Noah Chianese leveling things, Riley Cox-Barlow with the cut-back assist.

Once again Inter found themselves back ahead just after 20 minutes. Nicholas Paras going from goal scorer to provider with a free kick finding Owen Duke to finish off.

However, that lead wouldn’t last to half time, Cooper Hannagan finishing from close range this time. And they nearly had a third before the break when Mihael Marcic hit his shot over the bar from close range.

Marcic making up for his error on 77 minutes when Mark Cindric found him after a run in behind.

It was one of those days for Inter Lions who were the better side on the night but paid the price for every error, the Lions missing one final clear cut chance late to equalise. They face Hakoah FC next weekend, while SD Raiders take on Bonnyrigg in a local derby.

Mounties Wanderers FC 0 v Rydalmere Lions FC 2 (Matthew West 60’, Timothy Wohlfiel 73’)

Rydalmere Lions extended their hosts woes with a 2-0 victory away from home against Mounties Wanderers.

It’s another example of the visitors bounce-back ability with the Lions creating a good habit of picking up a victory after a loss.

If you don’t take your chances in this league, you’re going to pay a price and it’s becoming a familiar story for Mounties Wanderers as they went down to another frustrating defeat.

As mentioned in the previous sentence, the hosts had their opportunities throughout the opening hour of this one and were punished for not taking them at the other end.

Matthew West scoring his second of the campaign on the hour mark to give the visitors the lead. Before Timothy Wohlfiel joined him on the scoresheet with just over 15 minutes left from the set piece.

Looking for a response, Ejin Kishimoto then hit the post for the hosts as they looked to get themselves back into the game, but it was to be a frustrating night for the Mounties going down for their fourth defeat of the season.

Macarthur Rams FC 2 (Daniel Bittar 19’ 90) v Central Coast United 0

Speaking of extending woes, Macarthur Rams proved too good for Central Coast United at Lynwood Park.

Another side who put together perhaps their best performance of the season were Macarthur Rams who scored either side of half-time to claim victory over Central Coast United.

United just not getting their way in the division just yet, they’ll look forward to a return home next weekend after two defeats on the road.

The Rams took the lead just before 20 minutes through Daniel Bittar, some first touch passing in the lead up releasing him beyond the defence to finish.

However, they had to be alert throughout the duration with the visitors putting the Rams under pressure for the remainder of the fixture, particularly from the set-piece.

But it was to be the Rams to finish things off late in the piece, Bittar taking it past a few retreating defenders before placing it in the bottom corner for the two goal victory.

Macarthur Rams make the trip to Rydalmere in round 7, while Central Coast United return to home comforts as Bankstown City make the trip up.

Dulwich Hill FC 0 v Canterbury Bankstown FC 3 (Stefan Dubocanin 50’, Gabriel Lopez 55’, Brendon Mandizvidza 62’)

A second half flurry of goals enabled Canterbury Bankstown to continue their hot streak with victory over Dulwich Hill.

One of the inform teams in the competition, the Berries wrestled control of the second half with three goals in the first 20 minutes taking them to a three-goal victory over their hosts.

Dulwich Hill on the other hand just couldn’t settle before their visitors paying the price early in the second half. They face an important match with Mounties Wanderers at the same venue next week.

The visitors opening the scoring from a corner with Stefan Dubocanin swooping in at the near post. A lead doubled five minutes later from the spot with Gabriel Lopez stepping up to convert.

Before Brendon Mandizvidza broke free down the left before launching a shot with his left foot which found the top left corner for the third.

Canterbury Bankstown will be hoping to extend their unbeaten streak when they host Blacktown Spartans next weekend.

By Justin Smith