Round 2 Review – League One Women’s


While the heat meant that the League One Womens competition kicked off later on Sunday with six games completed, the action remained red hot.

Three of the six games were draws while Marconi Stallions, St George FC and Central Coast Mariners found themselves in the winner’s column.

Let’s get onto the review.

Sutherland Shire FA 3 drew with South Coast Flame FC 3

Both Sutherland Shire FA and South Coast Flame FC shared the points in a 3-3 draw on Sunday afternoon at Harrie Denning Centre.

Sutherland Shire FA took the lead twice before they snatched a late equaliser to get their first point of the League One Womens season. Alina Stojcevski scored from the spot before Valentina Alvarez restored the lead then a well taken penalty from Zoe Hart earnt them a point.

It was a good response from South Coast Flame FC after their loss last weekend. Bronte Trew picked up where she left off last weekend with a brace including a thunderbolt to make it 3-2 while Christina Barraza was their other goal scorer.

Hot conditions greeted both sides at Harrie Denning Reserve as two teams who were on the wrong side of the ledger in the first week looked to atone this weekend.

The first chance was for the hosts through captain Genevieve Nisbet. She stood over the free-kick and fizzed it over the bar as a warning shot for South Coast Flame FC.

South Coast Flame FC responded with their first chance in the form of Bronte Trew. She forced the Sutherland Shire FA custodian into a save with a fierce strike.

It was Sutherland Shire FA that struck first from the spot. A foul inside the box prompted Alina Stojcevski to step up and fire her spot kick home to make it 1-0.

The visitors responded with an equaliser in the 23rd minute. Some lovely interplay on the left saw Christina Barrara stride confidently into the box for 1-1.

That score line didn’t hold for long as Sutherland Shire FA once again took the lead. A well drilled ball found Valentina Alvarez in stride and finished well for 2-1.

Alvarez was almost at the double for Sutherland Shire FA soon after. She timed her run at the back post well but lobbed her effort over the bar.

Showing their resilience, South Coast Flame FC equalised again just before half-time. Kellie McIntyre delivered a well-timed pass into the path of Trew who arrowed home making it 2-2.

Coming out of the break, Sutherland Shire FA wanted to once again take the lead and had another early chance which was shot wide then Flame responded through Rachelle Wang who forced a save from the hosts keeper.

Flame continued to build on that chance and try and take their first lead. Trew and Barraza combined again for the latter to shoot straight then Trew again make the keeper work.

The visitors continued to push forward which led to Barraza having a free-kick which was saved as South Coast Flame FC looked the likely winner.

South Coast Flame FC got their lead in the final quarter of the contest. It was the Barraza and Trew combination again which saw Trew hit the crossbar and bounce in for 3-2.

There was one final twist in the game and it came from the spot. Sutherland Shire FA earned their second penalty of the game.

This time Zoe Hart stepped up and fired top right to make it 3-3 in a pulsating contest which saw the points shared between Sutherland Shire FA and South Coast Flame FC.


Sunday 19 March 2023

Harrie Denning Centre

Sutherland Shire FA 3 (Stojcevski ‘10, Alvarez ‘27, Hart ‘86)

South Coast Flame FC 3 (Barraza ‘23, Trew ‘47, ‘85)

Sutherland Shire FA: 2. Genevieve Nisbet, 3. Zoe Hart, 5. Ariane Brown, 6. Jasmine Stretton, 7. Violet Keelan, 8. Isabella Raad, 9. Alina Stojcevski, 10. Janan Codmani, 11. Christina Dendrinos, 12. Ella Gair, 37. Eva Maddox

Subs: 1. Jasmin Lawler, 13. Ella Boes, 15. Valentina Alvarez, 16. Kristy Kunovski, 21. Lily Beck, 31. Emma Woodin

Yellow cards: nil

Red cards: nil

South Coast Flame FC: 1. Caitlin Russell, 4. Alexis Malizis, 5. Ruby Blanch, 6. Lisa Prior, 7. Rachelle Wang, 8. Emily Kostovski, 9. Bronte Trew, 10. Kellie McIntyre, 11. Lulu Lozano, 12. Sariah Wilson, 19. Christina Barraza

Subs: 13. Jessica Abbott, 16. Christina Videla, 21. Tahlia Sharrock, 34. Mia Riza, 35. Lili Rozandic, 38. Marwa Sulaiman

Yellow cards: nil

Red cards: nil

Marconi Stallions 2 defeated South East Phoenix FC 1

Marconi Stallions registered their first win of the season in a 2-1 win over South East Phoenix FC at CSI Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Both sides lost their opening game of the season and the first 45 minutes was a tense affair between the two sides which saw them go into the break locked at 0-0.

Marconi Stallions fell behind to a good strike but were able to wrestle back control of the game and take their first three points of the campaign. Michelle Dal Bon found the back of the net twice in the win but Erinn Cleghorn was a vital part of the result with her tireless work.

The visitors once again showed they won’t be pushovers. South East Phoenix FC took the lead quickly after half-time from a precise strike from Isabella Mcconville to make it 1-0. The Nowra side were unable to hold that advantage but took positives into next weekend.

SD Raiders FC 2 drew with Inter Lions 2

It was honours even at Ernie Smith Reserve between SD Raiders FC and Inter Lions in their 2-2 draw on Sunday night.

Despite it being points shared between these two sides, any points picked up early in the season can be vital to any team’s chances in the League One Womens competition. That also makes it two games unbeaten at Ernie Smith Reserve for SD Raiders FC.

Inter Lions might not get the whole spoils in this game, but coach Jonathan Webb will be delighted with the effort from side and being competitive against a strong SD Raiders FC outfit. Santina Wang gave them a first half lead before the visitors equalised late on.

For SD Raiders, four points from their opening two games will make a good springboard for new coach Linda Khamis. Elana Topalidis brought them level just after half-time before Elin Rosenberg Cemazar scored her third of the season to make it 2-1.

Nepean FC 0 defeated by Central Coast Mariners 1

It was back-to-back wins for Central Coast Mariners in their 1-0 win over Nepean FC down at Jamison Park on Sunday night.

The yellow-and-navy took the momentum from their Match of the Round win and made it two happy trips back to the Central Coast with three points. They were made to work against a dogged Nepean FC side in the fixture.

Nepean FC weren’t able to find the mark against a well drilled Central Coast Mariners outfit and need to find their shooting boots again next week. Their plan to sit deep and remain patient almost was executed perfectly and coach Ben Gough was delighted with the effort against the Mariners.

Central Coast Mariners sit as the only side with two wins thus far in the League One Womens and did have their custodian Kiara Fontanilla to thank with some big saves to maintain the clean sheet. Servet Uzunlar was the only goal scorer in the contest with her first half strike.

Hills United FC 2 drew with UNSW FC 2

Hills United FC and UNSW FC played out a pulsating 2-2 draw under the lights at Bella Vista Public School on Sunday evening.

These two sides had two fabulous clashes in 2022 and that carried over into this clash with both teams fighting tooth and nail until the final whistle for the three points. Three of the four goals in the game were scored in the second half in what some dubbed the education derby.

The students threw everything but the kitchen sink at the hosts and were unable to find the third goal to take home the spoils. Marcella Santos opened the scoring from a Margaux Montegut cross then Jasmine Maguire rolled home a spot kick to equalise late in the game.

For Hills United FC, they showed again they are a strong second half side with both their goals after the half-time whistle. Both goals were scored by Isabella Sciberras, firstly to equalise from a Brooke Hastie set piece then she swooped on a loose pass to give Hills United FC the lead.

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 1 defeated by St George FC 3

St George FC produced a stirring comeback in their 3-1 win over Mt Druitt Town Rangers at Popondetta Park on Sunday night.

Mt Druitt Town Rangers resembled the walking wounded at full-time despite taking the lead in the first half after a rash of injuries. Hitomi Maeta found the back of the net for the hosts from a well timed Holly Williams pass but Mt Druitt ran out of troops at the end of the game.

The Saints dusted off their loss in the Match of the Round and rattled home three goals in the final 13 minutes of the game to take the chocolates. St George FC scored from a free-kick, penalty and corner to make it a set piece trifecta to open their account for the season.

Caitlin Campbell continued her sparkling form from last weekend with another goal to take her tally to three for the season while one of St George FC’s big signings for the year Georgia Manos fired home a brace to round off the scoring.

Camden Tigers vs Blacktown City FC was postponed due to extreme heat

By Justin Davies (@JustDavies90)