Round 11 Review – League Two Men’s


Round Eleven of the Football NSW League Two Men’s season saw the league leaders fall, as the chasing pack made ground.

The Match of the Round saw Prospect United SC continue their good form with a tight win at home over Bankstown United FC, while Nepean FC returned to the winner’s circle with an away win over Parramatta FC.

Meanwhile, Gladesville Ryde Magic took down league-leaders UNSW FC, Fraser Park FC continued their charge with victory over Camden Tigers FC, while South Coast Flame FC’s record-breaking run continued after their victory away over Hurstville FC.

Elsewhere, Sydney University SFC claimed a big victory away to the Western Rage, while the Newcastle Jets put in a five-star performance in their win at home to Inner West Hawks FC.

Hawkesbury City FC had a bye this round.


Saturday, 15th April 2023

Match of the Round: Prospect United SC 1-0 Bankstown United FC

Prospect United SC won their third match in four after they came away with a tough 1-0 home win over Bankstown United FC.

The hosts suffered a difficult 9-1 away loss away to National Premier League side Sutherland Sharks FC in the fourth preliminary round of the Australia Cup in midweek and we’re looking to bounce back in the league.

Prospect kicked into the wind in the first half at William Lawson Park as they had the first shot of the match in the 4th minute, after Luca Frasca attempted a powerful right-footed strike, which flew over the crossbar.

Bankstown pressed high up the pitch early as they forced turnovers and held onto possession.

They broke in behind early as the pace and well-timed tackles of the Prospect defenders kept them out.

In the 14th minute, Tallon Zahra saw Bankstown goalkeeper Mitchell Evans off his line as he attempted to chip him from 30 yards out, but his effort was off target.

Eight minutes later, Prospect forced a strong save from Evans at his near post off a direct free kick.

Just before the half-hour mark, a long ball up the field was held up well by a Bankstown attacker, before Lachlan Willmore struck the ball powerfully over the bar.

The teams traded blows as a minute later, James Pelletier was played in behind for Prospect; he beat his defender before Evans came out to smother the ball.

Bankstown had the last few attempts of the half in the final seven minutes as Raimond Coletta tried a powerful strike from 30 yards which flew wide, while Sunny Chang was unable to get a ball onto the head of a Bankstown player, as Prospect goalkeeper Adriano Cerasoli came out and palmed it away.

Yellow cards were flying in the first half as both sides wrestled for control.

However, neither side were able to break with pace, as they both gave up the ball in the attacking third of the field.

Both sides had their periods of possession, while throughout the first half, each side had their chances in transition.

Bankstown attempted to press high up late, whole Prospect beat the press; no time was added on as the sides entered the sheds level at half-time, 0-0.

A powerful half-time speech was heard from the away sheds as Scott Belgre looked to fire his team up for the second half.

The first chance of the second half came in the 57th minute for Bankstown, as Tyron Geany dribbled past the Prospect defenders.

His powerful shot was saved by Cerasoli before the follow-up shot was saved with quick reactions by Cerasoli from six yards out, as he kept the two sides level.

Prospect hit back a minute later as they got up the other end of the field and fired off a shot, which was saved by Evans.

The final ball was missing for both sides in the match as chances proved hard to come by.

Willmore got on the end of a cross after a strong run was made down the left flank by a Bankstown player; however, Cerasoli was on hand as he diffused the effort.

Then, after the match had calmed to a bit of a lull, the breakthrough arrived in the 73rd minute.

A ball played in behind by Prospect led to a mix-up between the Bankstown defenders and goalkeeper Evans.

Substitute Rhys Osman picked up the ball in the confusion for Prospect as he charged at Evans.

He was out of position as Osman found the back of the net with a decisive finish within seven minutes of entering the field; Prospect led 1-0 late in the match.

Prospect pushed for more as another strike went wide just minutes later.

Evans called for more positivity for Bankstown as his side looked to level the match in the final fifteen minutes.

In the 77th minute, Zahra ran at the Bankstown defence before he played the ball in behind for substitute Adam Filippone, who tried to beat Evans at the near post but missed.

In the 86th minute, Pelletier was played in behind; he held the ball up and played it across for Osmond, who cut inside before his tame effort was collected by Evans.

Bankstown threw bodies forward late as they searched for a last-gasp equaliser.

In the first minute of stoppage time, they had a corner from the right which was whipped into the box; however, the Bankstown header put the ball over the bar.

The press from the front on the night from Prospect kept them in good stead as they forced long balls from Bankstown, while they were also quick on the break.

Bankstown created good opportunities in the second half when they played into pockets of space and found players in the middle, but we’re unable to capitalise.

After five minutes of added time, the referee blew his whistle for full time; Prospect had earned an important three points at home against Bankstown.

The Bankstown players left the field dejected and disappointed, while it was the opposite for Prospect.

Speaking post-match, Prospect head coach Darren Camilleri said he knew it was going to be a tight affair.

“It was a fairly even game… I said to the guys at half-time, ‘one or two goals is gonna win this game today,” Camilleri said.

His side used their defeat in the Australia Cup mid-week as motivation to continue their push in the league.

“A couple of guys came to training the other day really down, we’ve got a really young group and when these things happen it’s hard to pick them up,” Camilleri said.

However, he was proud of his squad and their effort today in the victory.

“We’re trying to build something here where we’re gonna be resilient… If you’ve gotta win 1-0 every week, fantastic, I’ll do it, but I’d love to win 4-0 every week,” Camilleri laughed.

His side will look to continue their strong form as they make the tough trip to face Camden Tigers FC next week, while Bankstown United FC will hope to bounce back at home to the Western Rage in Round Twelve.


Parramatta FC 1-3 Nepean FC

Parramatta FC lost for the first time since Round Three as Nepean FC won their first match since Round Seven with a 3-1 victory at Melita Stadium.

Nepean opened the scoring in the 33rd minute after Luke Zepina set the visitors away with an important lead.

Just seven minutes later, that lead was doubled through Nepean Captain, Matthew Crossley, as Nepean led 2-0.

They had two other chances in the half to add to their goal tally but settled for the two in the half.

Nepean goalkeeper, Justin Biega, produced a smart save off a nice Parramatta chance as he kept his side’s clean sheet in tact.

In the second half, Nepean provided the first hit as they scored a third through Paolo Laxamana in the 59th minute.

However, Parramatta put pressure on late as they searched for an avenue back into the match.

They had a glimmer of hope at a comeback when Marco Sama scored in the 67th minute.

Despite the pressure Parramatta applied to try to find a way back into the match, Nepean shut them out late as the visitors came away with the 3-1 victory.

Parramatta will hope to push towards the top of the bottom six in the table as they travel to face Gladesville Ryde Magic in Round Twelve, while Nepean will look to rest up next week, as they have a bye.


UNSW FC 0-1 Gladesville Ryde Magic

UNSW FC were unable to create chances to break down Gladesville Ryde Magic as the visitors won back-to-back matches with a 1-0 away win.

In the cool wind, both started the match with a fast tempo as they utilised quick ball movement across the park.

In the 10th minute, a looping cross by Gladesville’s Tyler Frost was palmed away from the Magic attackers by UNSW goalkeeper Luke Del Vecchio.

At the other end, a long-distance strike by UNSW striker Kevin Lopes was off target.

Later, a UNSW free kick was saved down low by Magic goalkeeper, Kiriakos Tohouroglou.

In the 22nd minute, UNSW’s Keeghan Burke got in behind the Magic defence before he shot his effort wide.

Magic put some good deliveries into the box as 17-year-old Frost put a ball into the box for the Magic, as Chris Gaitatsis’ header went wide.

Minutes later, a low strike by Magic’s Stefan Baker off a Bailey Stevens cross rebounded off the goal post and away as the teams went into the sheds level at half-time, 0-0.

Then, in the opening minute of the second half, the Magic took the lead.

Kohki Hiyaoka found space as he delivered a cross into the UNSW box; it was met in the air by Stevens who powered his header home and continued his form; the Magic led 1-0.

In the 61st minute, UNSW were denied once again by Tohouroglou, who stopped an attempted UNSW shot.

The Magic had shouts for a penalty waved away before UNSW’s Mathias Da Silva Santos had a strike which swung wide of the target.

A double save late from Tohouroglou kept the Magic in the lead as he kept out a pushing UNSW side late.

The Magic won their third match in four as they won away, 1-0.

UNSW FC will hope to turn their fortunes around as they make the tough away trip to the high-flying South Coast Flame FC next week, while Gladesville Ryde Magic will look for three-straight victories as they host Parramatta FC in Round Twelve.


Fraser Park FC 3-1 Camden Tigers FC

Fraser Park FC won their fifth match in a row as they moved to seven matches unbeaten after a 3-1 home win over Camden Tigers FC.

Camden started the match strong, before Fraser Park pressed well from the front.

The press led to a mistake from Camden, which Alexander Nicolosi capitalised on; he scored from the edge of the box and gave the hosts a 1-0 lead.

Camden worked their way back o to the match after that, as Fraser Park’s goalkeeper, Nikola Bratic kept them in front at the break.

Fraser Park started the second half strong and doubled their lead in the 68th minute.

Daniel Bosnich took on and beat his marker at the byline; he then cut the ball back for Shu Torihara, who scored his fifth goal of the season.

Fraser Park scored their third goal in the 80th minute as they wrapped up the result.

Hayato Sadamori set up Samuel Shepherd, who converted his chance into a goal.

Fraser Park were given a scare late as Bailey Simpson flicked on a ball played in from a free kick from the left, but held on in the end.

The Fraser Park front three continued to create problems for the Tigers and the hosts came away with a strong 3-1 victory.

Fraser Park FC will look for a sixth-straight victory next week and hope to go eight matches unbeaten as they host Hurstville FC, while the Tigers will hope to bounce back at home to Prospect United SC in Round Twelve.


Hurstville FC 0-2 South Coast Flame FC

South Coast Flame FC continued to make club history as they recorded a 2-0 win away over Hurstville FC; it was their fifth-straight victory as they moved to second on the ladder.

They also have not conceded a goal in about six and a half hours.

The Flame set the tone early as they scored in the 9th minute.

A quick free kick from Chang Gyun Yoo found Sam Alston, who slotted the ball past Michael Rutherford and put the Flame 1-0 up.

Hurstville looked to strike back seven minutes later, but Jacob Botic’s shot was blocked by Jacobb Poscoliero.

In the 27th minute, Hurstville’s Juan Da Silva flashed a shot across goal which was recovered by Hurstville before Mouhamed Hamdache blasted a shot over from the edge of the box.

Flame weathered the period of Hurstville pressure and in the 35th minute, hit on the counter-attack.

Adam Voloder put Zander Alston through on goal; he made no mistake with the finish as he put the Flame 2-0 up before half-time.

After the break, Hamdache skied a shot over the bar after it fell to him following ricochets in the box.

In the 58th minute, the Flame broke in attack as captain James Baldacchino headed a powerful effort towards goal, which was saved well by Hurstville’s Michael Rutherford.

Hurstville continued to push players forward in search of a goal.

A Hurstville turnover led to a Flame counter-attack, where Jacob Gjorsevski grazed the outside of the post.

In the 75th minute, Flame substitute Jay De Gouveia got on the outside of his opponent before he cut the ball back to Lucas Ayala, whose effort hit the crossbar.

Hurstville could not break down the Flame defence and as the final whistle blew, Hamdache was sent off for Hurstville; the Flame took home the victory, 2-0.

Hurstville FC will hope to bounce back next week as they travel to face Fraser Park FC.

South Coast Flame FC next face Waverly Old Boys in the fourth preliminary round of the Australia Cup at Moore Park on Monday, April 17th at 7pm.

Following that, their next league match is at home to league leaders UNSW FC in a crucial first versus second clash in Round Twelve.


Western Rage 0-5 Sydney University SFC

Sydney University SFC claimed an emphatic victory, their first since Round Six, as they put on a five-star performance in a 5-0 away win over the Western Rage.

Uni hit the ground running as they scored in the 7th minute after Jackson Fredericks got his head on the end of a cross.

The visitors enjoyed possession in the first half as they doubled their advantage in the 35th minute through another header, this time from Brett Wilson.

Sydney Uni continued to push and were rewarded with a third goal before the break, as Marcus Del Vecchio scored with a good finish; the visitors led 3-0 at half-time.

Jack Lapi scored Sydney Uni’s fourth in the 78th minute with a header.

Jay Hirschowitz marked his return from injury with an 89th minute goal to wrap up the 5-0 victory for Sydney University.

The Western Rage travel to face Bankstown United FC next week, while Sydney University SFC will look to build on this strong victory as they host the formidable Newcastle Jets in Round Twelve.


Sunday, 16th April 2023

Newcastle Jets 5-0 Inner West Hawks FC

The Newcastle Jets won back-to-back matches and returned to third on the ladder after a 5-0 win at home to Inner West Hawks FC.

Adam Zervas opened the scoring for the Jets in the 25th minute as the hosts signalled their intentions early.

They found their second in the 40th minute through Zach Lisolajski, as the Jets went into the sheds with a commanding 2-0 lead.

The Jets came out firing for the second half, as captain Zervas picked up his double in the 48th minute.

Just five minutes later, half-time substitute James Khoury added to Newcastle’s lead as he scored their fourth goal of the night.

The win was rounded off by Xavier Bertoncello in the 78th minute, as Newcastle continued their form with a dominant 5-0 home victory.

The Newcastle Jets next challenge is Sydney University SFC away from home next week.

Meanwhile, Inner West Hawks FC crashed out of the Australia Cup on Wednesday, April 12th, as they fell 2-0 away to one of last seasons cup finalists, Sydney United 58 FC.

The Hawks will hope to bounce back from three-straight defeats next week as they host Hawkesbury City FC in Round Twelve.

By Football New South Wales League Two Men’s Writer, Dylan Costa @_dylancosta