Round 20 Review – League One Women’s


Round 20 in the Football NSW League One Women’s competition served up a spirited football weekend which saw the title race get going again. Seven games were played this weekend, highlighted by the Match of the Round between St George FC and South Coast Flame FC. Let’s get onto the review.

Match of the Round: St George FC vs South Coast Flame FC

St George FC pulled off another comeback in their 4-3 win over South Coast Flame FC at Ilinden Sports Centre on Saturday night.

St George FC were in firm control of the contest with their two-goal lead. Jordan Baker opened the scoring with a superb free kick then Mary Moyo doubled the delight. Baker popped up again to fire home to equalise at 3-3 then Nicole Besz converted from the spot to get them the win.

For South Coast Flame, they completed the comeback but were unable to hold on. Abigail Jordan and Lulu Lozano pulled it back to 2-2 before Ashley Kostovski fired them into the lead. They weren’t able to hold on and were defeated late in their chase for the top four.

Both St George FC and South Coast Flame FC took to the pitch at Ilinden Sports Centre aiming for three points in their chase for the top four.

The visitors had a chance in the first minute. Bronte Trew was played through and forced St George FC keeper Alexandra Hinson into a save.

St George FC settled into their rhythm and had their first effort in the 11th minute. Kyla Vanderlaan found some space and curled over.

The Saints found the opener from the set piece. Jordan Baker stood over the free kick alone and whipped it into the top corner to make it 1-0 in the 16th minute.

It was double delight for St George FC in the 19th minute. Kate Dale found space, crossed into the box and Mary Moyo tucked it home for 2-0.

South Coast Flame FC pulled a goal back quickly. It was from a set piece of their own which bundled around and was tapped home by Abigail Jordan to make it 2-1 in a chaotic sequence.

The Flame drew themselves level in a manic first half hour of the contest. It was another ball into the box which fell to Lulu Lozano to make it 2-2 after 32 minutes.

The visitors were firmly on the front foot after their goals. They had a free kick which went narrowly wide then Emily Kostovski’s cut back was dangerous in the box.

Kostovski was involved heavily and found the Flame’s third goal. Trew had her effort deflected by Hinson into the attacker’s path who tapped home for 3-2 in the 39th minute.

Buoyed by their comeback, Flame came out of the break firing. They had another early chance alongside a free kick to add to their lead.

St George FC looked to equalise through the pace of Moyo. She was played through and beat the defender to the ball before shooting straight at Flame keeper Caitlin Russell.

St George FC did find a third on the hour mark. Baker was energetic in retrieving the ball before she curled home to make it 3-3 in a thriller.

Both teams were stretching to find the winner as they game went into the final fifteen minutes. Baker had a shot for St George FC while Cristina Barraza did for the Flame.

The Saints had a big chance to take the lead. The pass into the box was fumbled into the path of the substitute Wendy-Nell Soyer who fizzed it wide.

St George FC continued to push for the winner. Baker also looked to complete her hat-trick, unfurled a shot which saw Flame FC keeper Russell tip over.

The hosts lived up to their comeback kids name again. Baker was fouled in the box, captain Nicole Besz stepped up and slotted home for 4-3 in injury time.

South Coast Flame FC had one final chance from a free kick. Everyone was up including keeper Russell but it was nodded agonisingly wide.

Speaking post-match, a delighted St George FC coach Mark Greenfield remarked on the spirit in the squad to get the points:

“I don’t know how many more of those kinda games I can take before they kill me. They show character and never give up and they are qualities which are rare. We didn’t play well, giving away a lot of ball and we addressed it second half and were better. We always have goals in us and it showed late in the game tonight.” said Greenfield.

It was short and sweet from South Coast Flame FC coach Daniel Naumovski who reflected on the goal fest for his side:

“It was a great game for the neutral but we got our mistakes punished. I thought we were dominant for the majority of the game but didn’t take our chances then got ours punished in the end.” said Naumovski.


Saturday 22 July 2023

Ilinden Sports Centre

St George FC 4 (Baker ‘16, Moyo ‘19, Baker ‘60, Besz ‘90+2)

South Coast Flame FC 3 (Jordan ‘21, Lozano ‘32, Kostovski ‘39)

St George FC: 1. Alexandra Hinson, 2. Joanna Minas (40. Jasmine Limon ‘51), 3. Kate Dale, 4. Nicole Besz, 8. Abbey-Rose Cryer, 9. Jordan Baker, 11. Kyla Vanderlaan, 16. Emma-Jane Winston, 18. Jaslyn Moore, 19. Mary Moyo (52. Wendy-Nell Soyer ‘75), 23. Maddison Farmer

Unused subs: 15. Genevieve Russo, 22. Rebecca Cousins, 29. Maiya Perdikadis

Yellow cards: Farmer ‘64

Red cards: nil

South Coast Flame FC: 1. Caitlin Russell, 3. Abigail Jordan (14. Ashley Kotevski ‘45), 4. Alexis Malizis, 5. Ruby Blanch (30. Brooke Love ‘81), 6. Lisa Prior, 8. Emily Kostovski, 9. Bronte Trew, 10. Kellie McIntyre, 11. Lulu Lozano (38. Marwa Sulaiman ‘66), 13. Jessie Abbott, 19. Cristina Barazza

Unused subs: 20. Shayne Aitken, 21. Tahlia Sharrock, 23. Gemma Bishop

Yellow cards: Kotevski ‘88

Red cards:


Nepean FC 2 defeated Mt Druitt Town Rangers FC 0

Nepean FC kept up their top four chase with a 2-0 win over Mt Druitt Town Rangers at Cook Park on Sunday afternoon.

The hosts continue to put pressure on St George FC in fourth place with their fifth win on the trot against a youthful Mt Druitt backline. It was a tightly fought first half between the sides which saw them go into the break at 0-0.

Nepean FC made a change at the break which bore fruit. Substitute Ella Joyce made an instant impact with her goal in the 55th minute to make it 1-0. Joyce doubled her delight in the 75th minute to take her tally to fifteen for the season and deliver a crucial three points.

Sutherland Shire FA 1 drew with Inter Lions 1

It was honours even between Sutherland Shire FA and Inter Lions in their 1-1 draw at Harrie Denning Centre on Sunday afternoon.

This result will be another dagger in Sutherland Shire FA’s finals chances dropping points against a dogged Inter Lions team. Neither team were able to find the breakthrough in the first half and we went to the break at 0-0.

The second half was filled with goals and drama. Inter Lions were the first to find the back of the net right on the hour mark through Alicia Lee. Their task was made tougher when Zoe Katsionis was given her marching orders.

Sutherland Shire FA were able to make use of the extra player and found a late equaliser to snatch a point in a thrilling contest between two solid teams. Sharpshooter Violet Keelan came off the bench to score on her return to make it 1-1.

SD Raiders FC 2 defeated Camden Tigers 1

SD Raiders FC won 2-1 against Camden Tigers in their game played at Ernie Smith Reserve on Sunday afternoon.

The hosts kept themselves in the hunt for the top four with their fourth win on the spin in a comfortable performance against their local rivals. All the action in this local derby happened in the first half which saw the sides go in at 2-1.

SD Raiders FC took the lead through Abuk Nyor in the 15th minute before Camden Tigers equalised from the spot through Kristy Rohrer. Nyor handed SD Raiders FC the lead back with her fifth goal of the campaign and helped them gain three points.

South East Phoenix FC 0 defeated by Blacktown City FC 1

Blacktown City FC headed back up the highway with a 1-0 win over South East Phoenix FC at South Nowra Football Complex on Sunday afternoon.

The visitors will be delighted to get three points in a game where they probably felt like the scoreline could have been. Blacktown City FC had the best chances in the first half but the sides went into the break at 0-0.

Blacktown City FC remained the dominant side in the second half but had to wait until the late stages to find the winner. Jenny Hughes popped up to score the winner off the end off a great pass from Alyse-May McCutcheon which sees them turn their 1-0 losses streak into a win.

Hills United FC 0 drew with Marconi Stallions 0

Points were shared between Hills United FC and Marconi Stallions in their 0-0 draw at Bella Vista Public School on Sunday afternoon.

Hills United FC drop points again which leaves St George FC hot on their tail in third position headed into the final six weeks of the season. The first half of this game was dominated by Hills United FC who were denied repeatedly by smart keeping from Yoshimi Miki for Marconi Stallions.

The pattern continued in the second half, Hills United FC held much of the possession but weren’t able to find a way past Miki who got a deserved clean sheet. Marconi Stallions’ best chances fell to Samantha Huynh and Michelle Dal Bon in a frantic finish to the game.

UNSW FC 2 defeated Central Coast Mariners FC 1

UNSW FC kept their title hopes alive with a 2-1 win over Central Coast Mariners at Village Green on Sunday night.

Fitting a game between the top two it was a cagey affair and neither team could find a goal which saw them head into the sheds at 0-0. The game sparked into action early in the second half, Princess Ibini hit the crossbar twice for the students while Kaitlin Murphy did similar for the Mariners.

The Mariners opened the scoring from a set piece to pries the game open. Annalise Rasmussen tucked the ball home into the bottom corner from a free kick to make it 1-0. UNSW FC answered with a set piece goal of their own when Marcella Santos headed home to make it 1-1.

There was one final twist left in the tale in this top of the table clash. UNSW FC brought on Stephanie Tour and she made an instant impact. Tour unfurled a shot which looped over Mariners keeper Kyara O’Brien and earned UNSW FC a valuable three points.

By Justin Davies (@JustDavies90)