Round 7 Review – League One Men’s

League ONE Men's Round Review 7

An entertaining match of the round and some important wins featured in round seven of the FNSW League One Men’s competition across the weekend.

Despite the result not helping either side, there were positives for Macarthur Rams and Dulwich to take away in our match of the round. While big wins were the tail of the tape elsewhere as Bonnyrigg, Bulls FC Academy, Rydalmere Lions and UNSW FC all did just that.

Match of the Round: Macarthur Rams 2-2 Dulwich Hill

Dulwich Hill came back from two goals down to take a share of the points against Macarthur Rams at Lynwood Park.

The Rams started the best in this one with two goals in the opening 15 minutes before Dulwich Hill took control and oh so nearly claimed the three points.

Things couldn’t have started better for the hosts who won a penalty after 64 seconds. A clumsy challenge from Daniel Fornito bringing down Michael Martin just inside the area. John Fahmi making no mistake from the spot slotting it into the bottom left facing corner.

Dulwich Hill responding with a couple of long-range efforts in the opening ten minutes without reward.

And it was the Rams to double their advantage in spectacular style. Anthony Proia finishing from a long way out on the right wing. His first-time effort sailing over the keeper into back of the net. 2-0 Macarthur.

There was growing threat at the other end though as Daniel Fornito sent in a tempting ball to the back post in the 12th minute, which was glanced wide into the left side netting. Their first shot on target soon following from Mark Younes who forced Seiya Miyamoto into a diving save around his right post.

While Alex Gollan nearly made it three at the other end, however he was unable to turn his effort home from close range five minutes later.

Things settling down a bit chance wise with Dulwich Hill looking to play there way back into the contest approaching the half hour.

Dulwich Hill bringing the deficit back to one soon after. A recycled set piece seeing a Goncalo Paradanta floated cross turned home acrobatically by Nathan Sansom at the back post unmarked. 2-1 Macarthur Rams.

The second half continuing in similar fashion to the end of the first with Macarthur Rams coach Darren Jones opting to make a triple substitution ten minutes into the second half. A couple of set pieces causing the Rams some trouble shortly after that.

Macarthur Rams responding with a chance of their own past the hour. Jerome Narayan producing an important save to deny an outside of the foot effort from outside the 18-yard box.

It was Dulwich Hill to bring the game back level though. A Domenico Tripodi ball from deep picking out Emmanuel Zervas to finish with his head, the header taking a touch off the left post on its way in as the clock ticked over to the 68th minute.

Daniel Fornito following up with a long-range effort soon after as they looked to complete their comeback, his shot going just wide.

Rams nearly taking the lead in the 80th minute with Proia combining with Jacob Esposito to his right before seeing his shot deflected wide.

A quick counter nearly seeing Dulwich Hill find their third at the other end. Zervas forcing Miyamoto into a good diving save around his left post again.

Before an even better chance nearly saw the visitors claim victory but it was cleared off the line in the 93rd minute from a corner. Micaiah Te Rata denied the winner there.

Macarthur Rams face Bonnyrigg White Eagles next weekend while Dulwich Hill next take to the field Easter Monday against Bankstown City.

Macarthur Rams 2 (Fahmi 2’, Proia 9’)

Dulwich Hill 2 (Sansom 32’, Zervas 68’)


Northern Tigers 0-2 Bulls FC Academy

An important win as any across the weekend, Bulls FC Academy secured a vital three points over Northern Tigers at North Turramurra Recreation Area.

The Bulls took control of this one in the first half and never stepped off the gas to draw level on points with Northern Tigers while snapping the hosts winning run.

They created some good chances in the opening 20 minutes where Ariath Piol could have had two goals. But it was Piol’s substitute who created the opening for their first goal, Abdelelah Faisal breaking through the line before squaring it to Luka Sterjovski who scored his second goal in as many games.

There were plenty of good performances across the park for the young Bulls, Oliver Randazzo for one scoring their second goal in the 64th minute with Joel Bertolissio, Flynn Madden, Will McKay and Jack Wheat all gaining mentions post-match from the Bulls set up.

Northern Tigers best period coming in the first half of this one. The Tigers next face Mt Druitt Town Rangers next Friday, while Bulls FC Academy take on Canterbury Bankstown in round 8 action.

Northern Tigers 0

Bulls FC Academy 2 (Sterjovski 45’, Randazzo 65’)

Nepean FC 0-3 Bonnyrigg White Eagles

Bonnyrigg White Eagles picked up their second win of the season, triumphing 3-0 over Nepean FC at Cook Park.

A much-needed victory which has seen them rise the table, they took home the three points after scoring three times in the first half.

The visitors came out which a renewed intensity and passion which saw them race out to their start. Daniel Bittar scoring their opening two goals. The first seeing him react well at the back post to head home a delivery from the left.

Before he doubled his tally in more convincing fashion soon after beating the keeper to the ball from a free kick.

Maksim Jez adding the third just after the half hour with a great strike from outside the box. Bonnyrigg continued to create chances in the second half.

Nepean put together a much better second half despite being unable to find the back of the net.

Nepean FC 0

Bonnyrigg White Eagles 3 (Bittar 16’ 22’, Jez 31’)

UNSW FC 3-0 Blacktown Spartans

UNSW FC picked up another impressive home victory, this time accounting for Blacktown Spartans by a three-goal margin.

After a hiccup mid-week, Gabe Knowles side responded in the best possible fashion while keeping their first clean sheet of the season.

They took the lead halfway through the first half through Kevin Lopes. Lopes heading the ball home after a Keeghan Burke long range effort was parried into his path.

A further couple of chances falling the student’s way before the break, Lopes with the first before Jack Fulton had a clear-cut one-on-one chance which he couldn’t put away, Jacob Madden making the save.

While the Spartans best chance came in the second half which saw a shot blazed over the bar from ten yards at the back post.

It was an improved showing from the hosts though and they found a second and third in the second half. Mitch Mattison turning the second in from close range, Keeghan Burke once again playing a role in the build-up.

Before Tom Quilligan added the exclamation mark late on, drilling his shot into the bottom corner, Sean Woods with the assist for that one.

UNSW taking out a 3-goal victory, they face SD Raiders next, while Blacktown Spartans visit Cook Park this Friday.

UNSW FC 3 (Lopes 22’, Mattison 51’, Quilligan 84’)

Blacktown Spartans 0

Rydalmere Lions 2-0 Mt Druitt Town Rangers

Mt Druitt Town Rangers winning streak came to an end at the hands of Rydalmere Lions in the upset of the round.

An emphatic bounce back after last weekends disappointing defeat, the Lions are beginning to dream big after this victory over the previously unbeaten visitors. They did so while being a man down for over a half of this one.

Three players returned for Anthony Harbs side who controlled possession and field position for most of the first half. Kyle Sande opening their account in the 43rd minute, the assist coming through Kent Muszkoshi. Before they were reduced to 10 men in first half injury time.

That didn’t seem to affect the hosts much though with players like Thom Gittany, Nikola Pintur, Marcus Sparacino and Ethan Dosanjh all gaining a mention from their coach.

Kyle Sande adding a second goal in second half injury time winning the ball on the press before catching the visiting keeper out.

For their part, Mt Druitt Town Rangers had chances throughout. The second half seeing balls hit the post, cleared off the line and drawing saves in the Rydalmere goal. Andy Montgomery paying tribute to his opposition for their desperation and work rate.

Rydalmere Lions 2 (Sande 43’ 100’)

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 0

Hakoah FC 3-0 SD Raiders

Hakoah picked up their third win of the season, keeping their unbeaten record alive with a three-goal victory over SD Raiders, Sunday afternoon.

The hosts scored an important first goal and managed the game well from there to see out the game at home. While the result will certainly add to the frustrations of SD Raiders who weren’t really in this one.

After an even 15-20 minutes to start this one, the hosts opened the games account through a Nicholas Drummond goal. A superb finish after Jayden Tran teed him cup cutting in from the right side.

Tran going on to win his side a penalty soon after, that penalty saved by Mario Aleksik who also followed up with a double save in the scramble following.

The second goal coming after the hour, Tran cutting the ball back for Samuel Shepherd to finish with a simple finish. Cam Philpot playing the incisive pass to release Tran in the lead up.

Nicholas Tooley applying the icing on the cake with a superb goal in the final stages. SD Raiders hitting the post from a free kick earlier in the second half which could have given them a way back into the game.

The win sees Hakoah move into 4th place in the standings after seven rounds, SD Raiders four points behind them in 9th.

Hakoah FC 3 (Drummond 26’, Shepherd 62’, Tooley 79’)

SD Raiders 0 ()

Canterbury Bankstown 1-0 Inter Lions

Canterbury Bankstown edged out a tight contest against Inter Lions at Jensen Park, Saturday evening.

Always a tough game between these two, the difference was a fast start from the hosts which saw Joshua Mbakwe open their account inside the opening ten minutes.

Mbakwe heading home from a Patrick Savor corner in the 6th minute. A goal which drew a response from the visitors after the half hour, Ahmed Taleb’s shot going just wide before the hosts cleared the ball off the line three times around the 40th minute.

The second half continued in similar fashion with the visitors pushing for the equaliser going close on three occasions from JJ Morfitis, Ahmed Taleb and Ollie Green. While the hosts threatened on the counter. Their best chances coming late from Taiga Kawano who rounded the keeper before putting the shot wide and Cian McNamara who hit the crossbar.

Canterbury Bankstown picking up an important victory after taking one point from their two previous games.

Canterbury Bankstown 1 (Mbakwe 6’)

Inter Lions 0

Dunbar Rovers 1-1 Bankstown City

Finally in our review, Dunbar Rovers rescued a point late against Bankstown City with the game finishing 1-1.

A frustrating result for the visitors who felt they did enough to win this one, it’s the first points they have dropped in the past four games. Enough chances to win a couple of games, they took the lead after the hour through a James Mckenzie goal, Mckenzie unleashing a powerful effort past the keeper with Chris Payne providing the assist.

However, the hosts hung in there and ended up getting an unlikely equaliser late on. Defending well, the game opened up which allowed Daisuke Yamaguchi the chance to score the equaliser with a deflected effort.

Dunbar Rovers face Inter Lions next Saturday night, while Bankstown City have to wait till next Monday for their next fixture against Dulwich Hill.

Dunbar Rovers 1 (Yamaguchi 84’)

Bankstown City 1 (Mckenzie 63’)

By Justin Smith