Round 15 Review – League One Men’s

a person with a football ball

383 goals and 118 games later, we’ve reached the halfway point of the FNSW League One Men’s season after concluding round 15 action.

Our match of the round saw UNSW FC secure their third win in four games. While elsewhere, Bulls FC Academy impressed and Mt Druitt Town Rangers returned to winning ways. That and more in this weeks review.

Match of the Round: Dulwich Hill 2-4 UNSW FC

UNSW FC taught Dulwich Hill a lesson with a 4-2 victory away from home in our round 15 match of the round at Arlington Oval

The students first away victory of the season, Matias Da Silva Santos was the stand out in the performance with a second half brace to give them their third win in four weeks. While confidence appears to be lacking for Dulwich Hill who conceded twice within minutes of scoring.

We didn’t have to wait long for the first chance to come in this one for the hosts. A switch of play finding Steve Kuzmanovski on the right. Kuzmanovski squirting his shot wide of the left post in the 2nd minute.

Kuzmanovski once again involved nearly five minutes later finding Emmanuel Zervas with his cross who couldn’t control his header. The hosts having joy down the right early on.

However there were signs that UNSW were starting to find their way in the contest, with a few dangerous balls into the box coming before Gabriel Lopez tried his luck from the second phase at a set piece before the 20th minute. Lopez and Mitchell Mattison doing well in the middle third of the pitch.

Matias Da Silva Santos following that up shortly after in the 24th minutes, his free-kick going wide left.

The game was needing a goal though and that came just after the half hour for the hosts. Steve Kuzmanovski delivering a corner from the left into a dangerous position where a handball was spotted. Goncalo Paradanta stepping up to convert into the left side of the net.

That lead lasting less than two minutes before the students hit back. Kevin Lopes finding the back of the net on his return to the starting side. Heading home from a deep Gabriel Lopez free kick to equalise.

UNSW taking the lead shortly after in the 38th minute. Da Silva Santos winning a corner on the left. One which made it’s way to the back post through a crowded box, Thomas Quilligan heading home to put the students up 2-1.

The frustration of losing their lead getting the better of the hosts with Dylan Lamour given a second yellow seconds later. UNSW going into the break with a 2-1 lead.

Dulwich Hill opening their second half in terms of chances in the 54th minute. Steve Kuzmanovski delivering in another corner which fell to Jamison Power inside the area. His left footed effort on the turn going over the bar. The hosts threatening from the set piece on a few occasions in this section of the match.

While Jack Fulton tried his luck at the other end in the 63rd minute, his shot over the bar from the right side of the field. The visitors beginning to take the ascendancy as the half continued.

And they were rewarded with their third goal with under 15 minutes left. A lovely low cross from Jeremy Cox on the right finding Matias Da Silva Santos to finish from close range to put UNSW up 3-1.

It wasn’t all going their way though and Dulwich Hill found their second goal of the game four minutes later. And you guessed it, it came from the set piece with Liam Spiropoulos in plenty of space to head home at the back post.

The hosts downfall in this one being how quickly they conceded after scoring themselves, UNSW finding the insurance goal in the 82nd minute. A magnificent solo goal from Da Silva Santos restoring the two goal lead. Taking four touches to control the ball while driving forward before applying the finish.

UNSW FC picking up their third victory in four weeks to take them into 9th position on the table at the halfway point, while Dulwich Hill continue to struggle in 14th, four points clear of the bottom two.

Dulwich Hill 2 (Paradanta 31’, Spiropoulos 80’)

UNSW FC 4 (Lopes 33’, Quilligan 40’, Da Silva Santos 76’ 81’)


Hakoah FC 0-4 Bulls FC Academy

Bulls FC Academy capped off their first half of the season with an impressive 4-0 victory over Hakoah FC at Hensley Athletic.

Backing up from their big match of the round victory last weekend, Craig Noone’s side overcame the hosts with two goals either side of half time. However the game was closer than the score line suggests with Hakoah FC having their moments.

In tricky conditions, the first two goals from the visitors came from the set piece. The first goal scored by Oliver Jones from a Mason Wells corner. Before Joel Bertolissio made the most of a keeper fumble off a Abdelelah Faisal free kick.

As expected, Hakoah looked to hit back after the resumption with a lot of the game played in their attacking half. However a Flynn Madden goal eased the pressure on the visitors, his shot taking a slight deflection on it’s way towards goal before the 65th minute after a swift passing move forward.

Joel Bertolissio adding a fourth goal with ten minutes left to seal the result. Both sides complimentary of each other post game noting the contest was closer than the score made out.

Hakoah FC 0

Bulls FC Academy 4 (Oliver Jones 29’, Bertolissio 33’ 80’, Madden 64’)

Canterbury Bankstown 1-1 Bonnyrigg White Eagles

Canterbury Bankstown and Bonnyrigg White Eagles shared the points at Jensen Park in round 15 action.

A result which favours neither side really, Canterbury Bankstown came from a goal down to take a point after Bonnyrigg White Eagles took the lead.

The first half of this one was a fairly even with both sides lacking that little bit of spark in the attacking third in a physical tussle. Maksim Jez having the best chances for the visitors hitting the crossbar and post while Canterbury Bankstown hit a couple of efforts wide.

In contrast to the first half, the second half started a more open affair, both sides having good chances before Mason Versi opened the scoring on the hour. Versi converting from the spot after winning the penalty.

Berries equalising seven minutes later with Taiga Kawano finding the back of the net. Kawano cutting in on his right foot before placing his shot in the far corner. Berries surviving a late scare despite being up a player with a Bonnyrigg shot hitting the post.

Bonnyrigg next face Mt Druitt Town Rangers in the first of eight straight home games while Canterbury Bankstown host SD Raiders.

Canterbury Bankstown 1 (Kawano 67’)

Bonnyrigg White Eagles 1 (Versi 60’)

Nepean FC 1-3 Rydalmere Lions

Rydalmere Lions extended the woes of Nepean FC with three second half goals giving them back-to-back victories at Jamison Park.

A game of two-halves, the hosts were the better of the two sides in the first half but they couldn’t quite manage to back that up with Rydalmere Lions a different prospect after the break.

Missing their coach Abbas Saad on the night, it was a slow start for the visitors with Nepean on top for the first hour or so. Marcelo Martelotta scoring from a free-kick in the 26th minute to give them a deserved lead.

After making a couple of changes at the break, Rydalmere took a while to settle into the second half but when they did, they were able to turn the game on it’s head. Marcus Lal scoring their first in the 70th minute before Isaac Cunningham gave them the lead in the 76th minute. Luca Kmet capping off a much better second half showing from the visitors with goal in injury time.

They sit on 16 points at the halfway point of the season returning home to face Northern Tigers next weekend. While Nepean are starting to see players return from injury with UNSW FC next up.

Nepean FC 1 (Martelotta 26’)

Rydalmere Lions 3 (Lal 70’, Cunningham 76’, Kmet 92’)

Dunbar Rovers 0-1 Mt Druitt Town Rangers

Mt Druitt Town Rangers returned to winning ways with a last-gasp win over Dunbar Rovers at Fraser Park, Saturday evening.

A much needed three points after last weekends defeat, they stepped up a gear when they needed too in this one with multiple second half chances before finding the winner late.

The hosts started well in this one looking after the ball but the game turned after the opening 20 minutes with Mt Druitt beginning to take control. A couple of chances for the visitors late in the half the closest either side came.

Dunbar goalkeeper Benjamin Wrigley making some good saves in the second half before the visitors broke through in injury time. Daniel Wong the goal scorer in the 91st minute to see the visitors get a much needed three points.

Dunbar Rovers make the short trip to face Hakoah FC next weekend while Mt Druitt Town Rangers take another away trip to Bonnyrigg White Eagles.

Dunbar Rovers 0

Mt Druit Town Rangers 1 (Wong 91’)

Blacktown Spartans 3-2 Inter Lions

Blacktown Spartans came from behind twice to overcome Inter Lions 3-2 at Blacktown Football Park, Saturday night

A result which draws them level with their visitors at the halfway point of the season, two goals in the final ten minutes gave the Spartans the victory over Inter Lions, bringing to an end the visitors four game unbeaten streak.

After a positive start from the hosts, it was Inter Lions who took a lead into the break with Ahmad Taleb converting a penalty late in the first half after the Spartans keeper took down Fikret Berisha. .

A lead which was brought back with a penalty at the other end for the hosts soon into the second half, Peter Pelekanos scoring that one which was won by Daniel Araujo.

Inter Lions then reclaiming the win with a goal in the 71st minute, Daniel Georgievski adding their second after a good lead up.

Blacktown Spartans overturning that lead with two goals in the last ten minutes. WIlliam Di Martino equalising with a header in the 84th minute from an Angus Chance cross. Before Josh Bartolotto slotted home a finish two minutes later to give them their seventh win of the campaign,

Blacktown Spartans 3 (Pelekanos 49’, DiMartino 84’, Bartolotto 86’)

Inter Lions 2 (Taleb 43’, Georgievski 71’)

Macarthur Rams 0-2 Bankstown City

Bankstown City solidified their position in the top four with a win over Macarthur Rams in Sydney’s South-West.

Their fourth straight victory, they are now level on points with third placed Hakoah FC as they continue their impressive run after a tough start to the season. While the Rams turnaround has been halted going down to their third straight loss.

Against a well Rams defence, the visitors had plenty of possession in the first half but lacked fluency. The halftime break coming at a good time for Bankstown City to make some tweaks which paid off later in the fixture.

Mabior Garang scoring both goals in the final 20 minutes with good finishes to give them the three points. The result seeing Bankstown City keep their third clean sheet in four weeks with only one loss in their last twelve games.

They face Inter Lions next weekend while Macarthur Rams host Bulls FC academy next weekend.

Macarthur Rams 0

Bankstown City 2 (Garang 73’ 86’)

SD Raiders 3-0 Northern Tigers

SD Raiders bounced back from back-to-back defeats with a convincing 3-0 victory over Northern Tigers at Ernie Smith Reserve.

Their best scoring output of the season, scoring three goals in the contest they secured a comfortable victory over the visitors. Northern Tigers continuing their on and off streak over the past five games.

Taking control of proceedings in the first half, the hosts were able to close the game out afterwards. The highlight of the night for the Raiders coming early with Mihael Marcic breaking a goal scoring drought with a close range tap in.

In saying that, the Northern Tigers best period came after the first goal but they weren’t able to find a breakthrough of their own. Mihael Marcic doubling his tally in first half stoppage time.

Northern Tigers once again responding well after the break denied by a couple of good saves by Mario Aleksik. Before Charlie Ragg added a third for the hosts with a great strike. The hosts seeing the game out from there for their fifth victory of the season.

SD Raiders 3 (Marcic 17’ 46’, Ragg 72’)

Northern Tigers 0

By Justin Smith