Round 19 Review – League One Women’s

League ONE Womens Review Round IND 19

Round 19 in the Football NSW League One Women’s competition was another exciting installment across the weekend. The battle for the top four is heating up as six teams jostle for four spots.

There were seven games to enjoy highlighted by Sutherland Strikers FC and Nepean FC in the Match of the Round.

Let’s get onto the review.

Match of the Round: Sutherland Strikers FC 3 defeated Nepean FC 0

Sutherland Strikers FC won 3-0 against Nepean FC in their game at Harrie Denning Centre on Sunday afternoon.

The Strikers made it three wins in a row as they put together a strong first half display to take three points. Lucy Johnson opened the scoring in the 8th minute then Gemma Woolley and Tori Tumeth found the back of the net to round off the win.

Nepean FC battled hard but they were punished for their first half performance. They had some chances through Gemma Morgan and Amelia Giardina in the game. They will take some positives after a better second half.

Sutherland Strikers FC and Nepean FC walked onto a wet Harrie Denning Centre looking to take home three points.

The hosts authored the first chance of the game. KJ Schmidt threaded through Georgie Lewis who shot straight at Nepean FC keeper Evangelina Papalia.

Sutherland Strikers FC made it 1-0 in the 8th minute. They were awarded an indirect free-kick which Tori Tumeth laid off for Lucy Johnson to smash home.

Nepean FC surged up the pitch for an equalizer. Amelia Giardina found some space and unfurled a shot right at Sutherland Strikers FC custodian Chantelle Symes.

The Strikers were on the front foot in the first half. Gemma Woolley spun well and fired in a shot then Johnson shot straight.

Gemma Morgan had another chance for Nepean FC. She drove towards goal and swerved an effort past the right post.

Papalia made some strong saves in the first half. She denied Johnson at the near post then blocked a Tumeth effort.

Woolley doubled the delight for Sutherland Strikers FC. Tumeth drove in a low cross which the striker turned home for 2-0 in the 32nd minute.

Tumeth got herself on the scoresheet in the 41st minute. She found space on the edge of the box and arrowed an effort into the bottom corner for 3-0.

Nepean FC had a chance just before the break. They swung in a corner which bounced around before the visitors fizzed wide.

Sutherland Strikers FC kept up the pace in the second half. Tumeth was in space again but sent her shot over the bar.

The Strikers were testing Papalia from range but the young custodian remained up to the challenge throughout.

Morgan again was the outlet for Nepean FC. She weaved through the Strikers defence then shot straight at Symes.

Johnson had another chance on the set piece. She stood over a free-kick which went straight to Papalia.

Lewis had a late effort for the Strikers to get their fourth. She drove into the box on the left before slipping past a defender and firing right at Papalia.

Sutherland Strikers FC saw out the last minutes of the game to pick up three points and make it three wins on the bounce.

Speaking post match, the Sutherland Strikers FC coach reflected on the win for his side another good performance:

“It was a fantastic, mature performance from us. We set the tone in the first half and were professional in the second half. Next season is going to be a big season for us and this team is a big part of that and I think our last few performances have shown that.” he said.

For Nepean FC coach Joseph Ellul, he reflected on a performance of two halves from his side in this game:

“I think a few quality players made the difference in this game. We took it to them in the second half and created some chances. For us, it is about developing our young players and taking our opportunities.” said Ellul.


Sunday 7 July 2024

Harrie Denning Centre

Referee: Josiah Brennan

Assistant Referees: Thomas Staples

Sutherland Strikers FC 3 (Johnson ‘8 Woolley ’32 Tumeth ’41)

Nepean FC 0

Sutherland Strikers FC: 3. Josephine Konjarski, 5. Amelia Nimac, 9. Georgie Lewis, 16. Annika Wende-Dunstan, 19. Stephanie Konjarksi (28. Elka Coombes ’71), 22. Chantelle Symes, 31. Katherine Schmidt, 37. Trinity Gibson, 40. Gemma Woolley (6. Leila Szszepanik ’65), 49. Lucy Johnson (2. Lily Warnes ’88), 51. Tori Tumeth

Unused subs: 27. Sabina Kafte, 30. Chaeli De Brincat, 122. Stacey Ellis

Yellow cards: nil

Red cards: nil

Nepean FC: 8. Gemma Morgan (5. Hannah Haberman ’58), 10 Lia Colaluce (35. Jessica Taylor ’58), 15. Sophie Williams, 17. Amelia Giardina, 18. Alisha Gatt, 19. Kiera Geoghegan (3. Catriona Haberman ’80), 21. Evangelina Papalia, 23. Aaliyah Kennedy (7. Caitlin Abbass ’80), 34. Olivia Burke, 36. Zaynab Zahid, 38. Jessica Robinson

Unused subs: 24. Kyla Grosse, 41. Maddison Machon

Yellow cards: Geoghegan ‘29

Red cards:


Central Coast Mariners FC 2 defeated Camden Tigers FC 1

Central Coast Mariners FC had a comeback 2-1 win against Camden Tigers FC at Pluim Park on Sunday afternoon.

The Mariners had to battle for the three points which keeps them in the finals hunt from sixth position. Both teams canceled each other out in the first half and they went into the break locked at 0-0.

Camden Tigers took the lead in the 52nd minute through Samantha Cefai for 1-0 before Mariners top scorer Claire Denning equalized at 1-1 in the 54th minute. Super substitute Ava-Marie Carlson made it 2-1 in the 69th minute and the Mariners saw out the game for a massive win.

Marconi Stallions FC 0 defeated by St George FC 1

St George FC won 1-0 against Marconi Stallions down at Marconi Stadium #2 on Sunday afternoon.

The Saints made it five wins on the bounce to continue their charge towards the League One Women’s top four. Jordan Baker made it 1-0 in the 36th minute with her 14th goal of the season to give St George FC a half-time lead.

St George FC battled hard in the second half but couldn’t put another goal past Stallions keeper Isabella Sollecito. This result keeps them in fourth spot holding off the charge of the chasing pack for the finals.

Mt Druitt Town Rangers FC 8 defeated Inter Lions FC 0

Mt Druitt Town Rangers FC beat Inter Lions FC 8-0 in their game at Popondetta Park on Sunday afternoon.

The Town Rangers remain on top of the ladder after another emphatic result which makes it back-to-back wins for them. Leena Khamis made it 1-0 in the 5th minute then quickly scored for 2-0 in the 20th minute. Renee Houliaras made it 3-0 in the 23rd minute then Khamis completed her hat-trick for 4-0 in the 44th minute.

The hosts kept up the pressure in the second half and found the back of the net four more times to round off the win. Khamis made it 5-0 in the 47th minute then Rosiara Galea slotted home a penalty for 6-0 in the 55th minute. Khamis scored her fifth goal to make it 7-0 in the 61st minute then Houliaras put the icing on the cake with her brace for 8-0 in the 76th minute.

Hills United FC 1 defeated by Bankstown City Lions FC 2

Bankstown City Lions FC were 2-1 winners against Hills United FC down at Bella Vista Public School on Sunday afternoon.

The Lions have made it five wins on the bounce as they beat a fellow contender in Hills United FC in a tight contest. All the action for this clash happened in a frantic first half between two sides fighting for finals football.

Bankstown City Lions FC made it 1-0 through an own goal in the 3rd minute before Hills United FC equalized through Isabella Sciberras for 1-1 in the 7th minute. Stephanie Ambrose made it 2-1 for the Lions again in the 20th minute as the visitors recorded the win.

Blacktown City FC 3 defeated by SD Raiders FC 4

SD Raiders FC won 4-3 against Blacktown City FC in a pulsating game at Landen Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

It was a memorable comeback for SD Raiders FC who keep up their chase for top spot after downing a gallant Blacktown City FC side. Claire Szymoniczek made it 1-0 for Blacktown City FC in 22nd minute then Isabella Sultan equalized for SD Raiders in the 37th minute for 1-1 at half-time.

Amber Precious restored Blacktown City FC’s lead in the 51st minute for 2-1 then Eloise Hansen made it 3-1 in the 60th minute. Taiana Almeida pulled it back to 3-2 in the 81st minute before Miriam Zumaya drew them level at 3-3 in the 83rd minute. Substitute Sarah Mandile completed the comeback in the 92nd minute to give SD Raiders FC a 4-3 win.

South East Phoenix FC vs South Coast Flame FC was washed out

By Justin Davies (@JustDavies90)