Round 23 Review – League One Men’s

League ONE Men's Round Review IND 23

Another change at the top of the table highlighted round 23 of the FNSW League One Men’s competition as we edge ever closer to the finish line.

With seven rounds to go, the stakes are getting higher at either end of the table. Our match of the round featuring Blacktown Spartans coming away with a narrow win over Nepean FC.

Match of the Round: Blacktown Spartans 1-0 Nepean FC

Blacktown Spartans continued their winning streak with a hard fought single goal victory over Nepean FC at Blacktown Football Park, Friday night.

It was the type of game which could have seen many more goals with opportunities coming at a constant rate in the first half in particular.

The first shot of the fixture came from the visitors as the clock approached three minutes, a swift break forward ending with Jack Hoban having an effort from the right hand side of the box which was comfortably saved.

While Blacktown Spartans at the other end were applying their fair share of pressure on the Nepean goal in the opening ten minutes. Culminating with Aedon Kyra finding the back of the net in the 11th minute with a header which was ruled out due to offside.

Followed three minutes later with another chance for the hosts, this time through Alexander Casella who shot into the side netting with an effort from the overlap. New recruit George Timotheou finding him with a diagonal through ball.

The game then settling down with Spartans edging proceedings, Riley Chapple was the latest to have an effort inside the area with his shot over the bar on the volley.

While Nepean’s best chance of the half came shortly after that. Richard Stewart fizzing a ball over the crossbar after a corner fell to him around the penalty spot.

Chances coming at either end in this period with Chapple having a second opportunity in six minutes, a similar lead up down the right seeing a cross find him at the back post. Chapple’s effort on target saved by Justin Biega. Both sides scoreless at the break not for the want of trying.

Whoever scored first in this one was going to prove tough to beat and it was Blacktown Spartans who did just that. Angus Chance finding the back of the net after a frantic opening to the second half. Chance in the right place at the right time to finish at the back post after Aedon Kyra’s shot was saved into his path.

Spartans continuing to look dangerous in the ten minutes after that putting pressure on their visitors as the game opened up.

All this while it was proving a tougher task at the other end for Nepean chasing the game.

Chances few and far between before Suleyman Bangura had a shot from close range in the 76th minute though it wouldn’t of counted, Kyra and Chance combining in that build up. Jack Hoban denying Chapple a chance soon after from another dangerous ball across the face.

A frustrating second half for the visitors summed up by a second yellow to Darcy Ellem in the final ten minutes reducing them to ten men.

Spartans picking up their third straight victory while Nepean are winless in their past four games.

Blacktown Spartans 1 (Chance 50’)

Nepean FC 0


Canterbury Bankstown 1-2 Bulls FC Academy

Bulls FC Academy took their opportunity to go top with a 2-1 victory over Canterbury Bankstown in Sunday afternoon action.

A very close game throughout with few shots on goal, Bulls FC Academy turned the score lline around for an important victory.

It was the Berries who took a lead in the first half through a Maco Turpenien goal with five minutes of the first half left. Turpeinen finishing after Finley Hayhurst headed the ball down to him. The hosts doing well at the other end keeping the visitors attack quiet.

Needing a response, the Bulls upped the intensity in the second half scoring two goals in the 60th and 65th minute. The first in fortunate circumstances with Zane Helweh’s free-kick taking a deflection off the post. Before Luca Pecora scored their second five minutes later, the ball sneaking in at the near post.

Now the Berries turn to respond, they did so applying pressure throughout the remaining minutes, the Bulls resiliently holding on.

Canterbury Bankstown will welcome back some familiar faces next weekend, while Bulls FC Academy have a tough test against Bonnyrigg White Eagles next weekend.

Canterbury Bankstown 1 (Turpeinen 37’)

Bulls FC Academy 2 (Helweh 60’, Pecora 65’)

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 1-2 Northern Tigers

Northern Tigers threw a cat amongst the pigeons with a 2-1 victory over Mt Druitt Town Rangers at Popondetta Park.

A result which left top spot open Bulls FC Academy to take the next day, a slow start ultimately cost the Town Rangers, Northern Tigers taking a big three points.

As you probably gathered from the sentence above, Northern Tigers were up for this one from the get go scoring twice in the opening half hour. Ahmed Sweedan opening their account from the set piece before Kai Denton scored the second after the half hour.

Both sides having good chances after that with Tigers goalkeeper Bodie Denton making some crucial saves to deny Charles Mendy and Andre Martins. While TIgers continued to threaten at the other end. Mt Druitt’s goal coming midway through the second half via an own goal with Beltran-Woodward getting the last touch.

It’s the first defeat that Mt Druitt Town Rangers have tasted at home this season, while Northern Tigers have a midweek game against Bankstown City to look forward too.

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 1 (Beltran-Woodward OG 65’’)

Northern Tigers 2 (Sweedan 2’, Denton 32’)

Hakoah FC 2-0 Rydalmere Lions

Bouncing back from their hiccup last weekend, Hakoah FC returned to winning ways getting the better of Rydalmere Lions at Hensley Athletic.

Not out of the top two picture just yet, they scored twice in the *checks notes* first half to claim the three points at home.

A welcome change to how they have being going about things this season, Connor Shaddock opened the games account just before the 20th minute. A lead which was doubled later in the first half through Phillip Lapanitis in the 38th minute to double their advantage. Both goals coming in similar fashion getting on the end of loose balls in the Rydalmere box

The two goal lead too much for Rydalmere Lions to recover from despite their best efforts with both sides trading chances. Hakoah now six points behind second place while Rydalmere next host Bankstown City.

Hakoah FC 2 (Shaddock 19’, Lapaniatis 38’)

Rydalmere Lions 0

Bonnyrigg White Eagles 3-1 Macarthur Rams

Bonnyrigg White Eagles competed their perfect week with a 3-1 victory over Macarthur Rams at Bonnyrigg Sports Club.

A fixture which saw a few players lining up against their former team, the hosts controlled proceedings to pick up their third victory in a week.

Momentum is a great thing to have in football and the hosts have certainly picked up some in the final third of the season. Radovan Pavicevic scoring two quality goals in the opening half in the 10th and 40th minute respectively.

The hosts putting the game beyond doubt with a goal before the hour, Daniel Bittar setting in motion that goal before Mason Versi found the back of the net after a fortunate deflection. A consolation goal for Macarthur Rams coming in the final twenty minutes through Emmanuel Gonzalez who scored against his former side.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles have a midweek off before they face Bulls FC Academy next weekend, while Macarthur Rams will host UNSW FC in round 24 action.

Bonnyrigg White Eagles 3 (Pavicevic 10’ 40’, Versi 59’)

Macarthur Rams 1 ()

UNSW FC 0-2 SD Raiders

Keeping up their positive recent form, SD Raiders secured another three points with a victory over UNSW FC at the Village Green.

Continuing their undefeated run of late, the SD Raiders will be a tricky prospect for any opponent in the league, next weeks game against Blacktown Spartans looking a good one.

They started this one positively controlling the opening 20 minutes while creating chances. The students then having their own period of control in the following quarter hour as both sides battled for momentum.

However it was the SD Raiders to take an advantage into halftime. Piling up set pieces, one of which led to the opening goal to Charlie Ragg.

A goal which drew a response once again from UNSW, who started the second half positively but once again walked away empty handed. While a goal against the run of play from Jairo Torne Fernandez doubled their advantage.

SD Raiders scrambling well in defense to hold onto their lead despite suffering several injuries in the second half. They sit in sixth position, while UNSW have suffered back to back wins, Macarthur Rams their next task.


SD Raiders 2 (Ragg 33’, Torne Fernandez 61’)

Dulwich Hill 0-1 Bankstown City

Bankstown City put in a workmanlike shift to overcome Dulwich Hill at Arlington Oval, Saturday evening.

Three points away from home which keeps them in fourth position, they scored the decisive goal in the second half against a Dulwich Hill side who impressed on the night.

It’s that time of the season when winning ugly could be classified as a valuable trait as Bankstown City have here.

In truth, Dulwich Hill kept going throughout creating plenty of chances from the set piece throughout with it being a bit of a goal keeping showcase. The critical moment of the contest coming ten minutes into the second half. A build up down Bankstown City’s right wing resulting in an opportunity for Andrej Poljcic who finished into the bottom right corner.

Both sides agreeing that Bankstown City keeper Jackson Jarnet was the player of the match post game in correspondence with us.

Next weekend is a big one for Dulwich Hill who visit Dunbar Rovers in a true six pointer, while Bankstown City are in action midweek.

Dulwich Hill 0

Bankstown City 1 (Poljcic 55’)

Dunbar Rovers 1-1 Inter Lions

Another point closer? Dunbar Rovers scored late to take a share of the points from their fixture with Inter Lions.

A hard fought game, the hosts showed plenty of character in this one as they continue their bid to stay in the division.

The first half of this game saw the hosts start positively creating several good chances in the early stages with Inter goalkeeper Patrick Fouracre up to the task. Inter settling in the second quarter of the game with both sides going into the break scoreless.

Inter Lions taking the lead four minutes into the second half, a corner falling to Daniel Georgievski whose shot took a hefty deflection on it’s way towards goal. The Lions having another chance for Ahmad Taleb soon after whose finish wasn’t up to the task.

A miss they would pay the price for with Dunbar throwing players forward in the final stages. Alexander Nicolosi scoring a crucial goal for his side in the 94th minute for the point.

Dunbar Rovers 1 (Nicolosi 94’)

Inter Lions 1 (Yamaguchi OG 49’)

Round 17 catch up result: Bonnyrigg White Eagles 3-0 Rydalmere Lions

By Justin Smith