Conference League Southern Round 7 Review


The home side, Fairfield Bulls, have regrouped after an early season staff disruption, where the loss of a coach and numerous players produced a couple of disastrous results. The Bulls, a proud club of Assyrian heritage and founded in 1972, have since regrouped, with a new coach bringing in some fresh talent, reflected in improved performances of late.
The small vocal crowd had barely settled in their seats when the Bulls had their first opportunity to score as early as the 2nd minute. A stray pass across a static defence in the middle of the half was seized on by Nikola, and he calmly strolled unchallenged into the box, before slicing his shot wide and high from six yards, a bobble robbing him of a goal.
Then Bulls? striker Zahoui picked up a long clearance from his keeper, Hormis, to volley wide, again unchallenged.
The visitors had their first chance when Akgul headed wide from an Olekin corner, rising without a defender in sight, but slicing the ball across goal.
On 14 minutes, an absolute rarity in modern football produced a remarkable goal. Fairfield Bulls tall goalkeeper, Hormis, punted a massive clearance downfield. The Greenisland defence allowed the ball to bounce, and bounce it did, right over opposing keeper Uzunlar and into the net with the aid of a stiff breeze. One ? nil to the home side, and the Bulls players raced the length of the field to engulf their unlikely hero.
Konak almost replied immediately for Greenisland a couple of minutes later when he received the ball on the corner of the box, cut in and hit a low shot that was caught by Bulls keeper, Hormis.
The Bulls then should?ve made it two when Zahoui raced into the box, and his cross shot agonizingly eluded his team mates as it crept across the goal posts and out for a goal kick.
On 19 minutes, Greenisland keeper Uzunlar made a mess of a low cross by Bulls winger Khaio, spilling the ball, before it was cleared by Bavrnett as Khananisho was prowling.
On 25 minutes Greenisland?s silky midfielder Licanin showed some deft touches, before slicing the Bulls defence open with a great through ball for Acar to run onto. Hormis raced off his line to courageously snatch the ball off Acar?s toes.
The Bulls almost doubled their advantage after 30 minutes, when a free kick near the touchline by Saab flicked off the top of the head of Greenisland defender, Bavrnett, and looped over his keeper before crashing off the crossbar. Substitute Sayin was first to the rebound, controlling the ball before smacking a shot at goal from six yards, only for Greenisland keeper Uzunlar to react like a jack-in-a-box and brilliantly parry the shot.
11 minutes before half time and Greenisland equalised with a brilliant effort from midfielder Licanin. A square ball from Elveren reached Licanin on the edge of the box, and the blonde-haired, number 11 took a touch, dribbled inside a defender, before readjusting his stance and curling a left foot shot into the top corner of the net past a helpless Hormis.
Half time arrived and the teams were deadlocked at 1-1, still both desperate to take the game by the scruff in the second half, and hopefully record a valuable win.
Greenisland had the first chance of the second half when Olekin controlled a high ball on the edge of the box, and laid it off for Elveren to hit a snapshot just wide of the mark. Elveren repeated this only a couple of minutes later, this time the shot had venom in it as it flashed wide, after Acar had provided the assist.
On 65 minutes, Licanin then grabbed what proved to be the winner, when he was first to react to a loose ball in the box after a Johns free kick had been lofted into the penalty area. Licanin let the ball bounce before placing a left foot volley high into the net over the advancing Hormis.
Just three minutes later and Elveren had the chance to extend the lead for Greenisland when he raced onto a long ball catching the static Bulls? defence napping, but alas, his lob over Hormis also cleared the cross bar.
Licanin then almost grabbed his hatrick in the 75th minute, when his 30 yard free kick caught the breeze and dropped inches over the cross bar, with Hormis sprawling backwards trying to cover.
The final minutes became a little heated as the Bulls got desperate to salvage something, but Greenisland hung on and recorded their first three pointer of the season.
Best for Fairfield Bulls were ; keeper Hormis, commanding in the air and marking his performance with an unexpected goal ; and Nikola, who worked hard in the midfield.
For Greenisland SFC, Salih-Tower showed some real agility and speed in the midfield ; Elveren toiled vigorously up front as he probed the opposition trying to score ; and player of the match, Licanin, who scored two splendid goals, and was one of the only players to put his foot on the ball and stay composed, look up, and constantly set up the attacks for his side.
?We?ve had a change of coach, and with that we are training harder, we?re a lot more organized, and happy to grab our first win of the season?, said a beaming Licanin after the match.
Match Stats
FAIRFIELD BULLS 1 (Hormis 14?)          
GREENISLAND SFC 2 (Licanin 34?, 65?)
Fairfield Bulls: 1. Hormis, 9. Saab, 13. Shamon, 6. Mirad, 12. Abdal, 10. Kadouh (4. Georges 29?), 11. Nikola, 7. Khananisho ? , 15. Zahoui (3. Kako 55?), 5. Gorgees, 14. Khaio (16. Waroa 37?).
Subs not used; 8. Kamboozia, 77. Gorges
Greenisland SFC: 40. Uzunlar, 31. Acar, 7. Bavrnett, 14. Akgul, 9. Salih Tower, 3. Mansaray (4. Sayin 58?), 8. Konak, 11. Licanin, 13. Johns, 10. Elveren, 2. Olekin (15. Karmokow 74?).
Subs not used; 12. Fahrettino, 17. Kim, RGK. Dogukan.
Remaining Matches
White City continued their flawless start to the season with an exciting come-from-behind victory over Gazy Lansvale.
Burnic put Gazy in front on 36 minutes, and Aslan made it two with a goal one minute after the break.
White City were not to be denied, however, and Kabbara pulled one back on 58 minutes, before Palumbo equalized with just five minutes remaining.
Kabbara then sealed the win for White City with an 86th minute goal, his eleventh of the season, and a sixth win from as many matches sending his team five points clear at the top.
Camden Tigers jumped into outright second position on the ladder, with a comprehensive 3-0 victory over the previously unbeaten Sydney Cedars.
Mackechnie (15?) and Smutek (45?) gave the Tigers a first half lead, and Garzotto completed the win for the Tigers with a third strike on 83 minutes.
In the final match of the round, Hakoah returned to the winner?s list with a 5-2 trouncing of Colo Colo Wanderers at E.S. Marks Field.
Unfortunately we do not have the list of individual goalscorers from the match, but nevertheless Hakoah jump into third on the ladder with their healthy goal difference of +20.
Lilli Pilli had the week?s rest courtesy of the bye.
-By Frank Speranza