Arrive Alive Women?s Premier League Round 3 Review


Okay, call me a jinx. I know what I did wrong. I gave the person in charge of rainfall the impression that we?d got the better of him/her.
Just to teach ME a lesson the Rain God sent in some blinding rain yesterday to again play havoc with our round of Arrive Alive Women?s Premier League football. I truly apologise to everyone, including the higher beings. This lack of respect for those with greater powers won?t happen again!
Those teams that did manage to get their Round 3 games completed obviously enjoyed slipping and sliding in the damp conditions.
Over at Cromer Park Manly United FC?s undefeated start to the season came to an abrupt halt at the hands of Macarthur Rams. The 2008 Champions collected their first points for the new season with a narrow 1-0 win over the home side.
Renee Cartwright?s 14th minute strike was enough to see The Rams through in a tight match. Manly?s first loss of the season won?t lose them any admirers whilst Macarthur?s win will only serve to remind the doubters that they won?t give up their title without a fight.
Both these sides, even at this early stage of the season, have finals contenders written all over them. Manly have a big clash next weekend with competition leaders, NWS Koalas. The Rams will be after more points when they host the so far under achieving Penrith Nepean United.
Many United FC  0
Macarthur Rams 1 (R.Cartwright 14m)
At Marconi Stadium the NWS Koalas kept their run of success humming with a 2-0 win over the Marconi Stallions.
The Koalas now sit alone atop the ladder, undefeated after three rounds. The doomsayers who predicted a Koalas demise after a significant loss of players in the off season obviously need to think again. The Koalas have really stepped up to the mark with some solid performances.
Kate Hensman opened the scoring for The Koalas in only the second minute of play. The visitors held this narrow lead to the half time break as Marconi battled hard to reel them in. The match stayed on a precipice until the 83rd minute when DJ Howard doubled the NWS Koalas lead, therefore confirming the result. The final score of 2-0 reflected a game Stallions effort but also the fact that The Koalas were a little too good on the day.
Marconi Stallions 0
NWS Koalas           2 (K.Hensman 2m, D.Howard 83m)
The remaining matches of Round 3 succumbed to the weather. The Illawarra Stingrays v Sutherland Sharks game almost reached half time before the match officials abandoned the game due to the dangerous condition of the pitch. Illawarra were up 2-1 at the time after strikes by Trudy Camilleri and Michelle Heyman. Former Stingray Taryn Ruiz had snatched one back for The Sharks but this will all count for nothing now as the two sides wait to start all over again on a date to be fixed. Obviously a frustrating day for all concerned.
The Sydney University v Penrith Nepean United match failed to even get to kick off stage. Both sides have tough games next week with University travelling to the South Coast to challenge the Illawarra Stingrays whilst Penrith meet the Macarthur Rams at Lynwood Park.
Hopefully the weather of the last few weeks is not a sign of what?s to come during the Arrive Alive Women?s Premier League season. The girls just want to play football; something that?s very difficult when you?re forced to wear flippers! Fingers crossed that the only battles being fought on the ANZAC weekend are on the field and not with the weather.
Good luck to everyone during this week. Stay clear of injury on the training pitch and we?ll see you all ready to play next Sunday!
-By Ross Anderson