Manly United take out 2010 Frank Broughton Cup


Having each played countless matches beforehand, both teams showed energy and enthusiasm in a final full of chances and excitement for both sides.
However, it was Manly who struck first through an early penalty in just the 2nd minute. Harry Van Der Saag kept his composure as he slotted the spot kick into the bottom right hand corner to give the northern beaches outfit the early lead.
With Macarthur shaken, the Rams pressed forward with some long range attempts before a well delivered Reilly Hinds pass found Brandon Rapley who could only watch as his shot smashed the Manly upright.
That seemed to give the maroons the belief they needed. Macarthur?s Alex Gollan header went wide before Christian Iriate and Cooper Hanagan tried their luck from long range. It was fast becoming one of those days for the rams.
As half time approached, Manly found inspiration through Jesier Nicholson who showed pace and skill down the left hand side with darting runs on a number of occasions. However it was Macarthur who almost levelled it going into the break, were it not for some first class goalkeeping by Will Carter to deny Zac Fullagar from close range.
The match continued flowing back and forth after the interval as Macarthur tried pressing forward through Travis Druce while Sean Elder couldn?t keep his close range shot down minutes later. Although Macarthur?s Brandon Rapley and Reilley Hinds did their best to pull the strings for the Rams, it was Manly who had the better opportunities in the second half.
The best chance fell to Harry Somers who found himself one on one with goalkeeper, Aidan Munford with just minutes to spare. Sliding low, Munford produced an excellent save to deny Somers short range shot to allow Manly to double the score.
With time running out, Macarthur?s Alex Gollan tried his luck from long range however with his chance denied; it was Manly who celebrated as the final whistle blew. 
Macarthur coach, Bruce Kermack was happy at his team?s performance, stating the hard fought match could have easily gone either way.
?This was a great final and one which was very evenly matched and could have gone either way,? said Fielding.
?Advancing through on goal difference, we thought we were heading home much earlier, so we weren?t expecting to be in the final.
?I am very happy with the performance the boys showed today and they should be pleased with their efforts,? he added.
With Manly triumphing in the competition for the first time, Coach Sam Panetta could hardly contain his enthusiasm.
?The boys today showed amazing spirit in a very hard fought match despite being very tired from all their games,? he said.
?No Manly team had ever made the final before so this was our objective.
?It was fantastic to see that every player gave it their best and we didn?t have a single weak player on the field.
?I have to also give credit to Macarthur since they played very well and we always knew it was going to be tough playing against them tonight,? he added.
-By Caetano Lima