NPL NSW Women’s Round 3 Finals Series Review


Sydney University booked their place in the National Premier Leagues NSW Women’s Grand Final where the Macarthur Rams await them.

Sydney University 1-0 FNSW Institute

The first chance of the game fell the way of the premiers on five minutes as Tori Tumeth split the Institute defence, finding Nikki Flannery who rounded Jada Mathyssen-Whyman before going down upon the challenge, only for the referee to wave play on.

Three minutes later and Taylor Ray slipped in Melindaj Barbieri but a last ditch challenge from Uni defender Taren King thwarted the danger.

It was an electrifying start to the game with both sides playing at a high intensity.

Uni went close again on 11 minutes as Annabel Martin somehow got the ball through to Cortnee Vine who only had Mathyssen-Whyman to beat, only for the Institute keeper to save.

The action continued and 2 minutes later Barbieri had an attempt from distance, forcing stand in keeper Sophie Magus into a fine fingertip save.

Like two boxers they kept trading punches and Uni should’ve had the lead in the 17th minute.

A shot from the edge of the area by Clare Wheeler was saved by Mathyssen Whyman before the rebound fell to Flannery who looked certain to score, only for the Institute keeper to smother the ball well.

A minute later Flannery got onto the end of a fine team move but again Mathyssen-Whyman saved.

What the Institute keeper could do, Magus could do better, pulling off another fantastic save on 19 minutes with Julia Vignes trying her luck from distance this time.

After a quiet period, the game exploded back into life 10 minutes from half time.

Rachel Lowe blasted an effort toward goal before the rebound fell to Barbieri who forced Magus into a fine double save.

Kyra Cooney-Cross was next to test Magus but again the Uni keeper stood firm, saving to her right.

Four minutes from the break Lowe really should’ve had Institute in front but the opportunity went begging from only a few metres out.

Two minutes after half time Vine muscled her way into the box with only Mathyssen-Whyman to beat, her shot lacked conviction though and didn’t trouble the Institute keeper.

In the 50th minute Uni was in front.

A perfect pass by Vine found Flannery with space in the box as she turned and placed the ball into the back of the net.

The Institute began pushing forward in search of an equaliser but found it difficult to get beyond Uni’s defensive wall.

Seven minutes from full time Barbieri had another attempt from distance but Magus refused to be beaten.

The young Institute side couldn’t fashion another chance as the game came to a close.

-By Nikola Pozder