Round 2 Review – NPL NSW Women’s


If Round one didn’t have you hooked, round two definitely with.

Comebacks, shocks and 27 goals across six games in the NPL NSW Women’s competition.

Blacktown Spartans v Sydney University

The rain didn’t miss Blacktown Football Ground as the Blacktown Spartans and Sydney University  did battle.

Blacktown went into this one with a game plan that worked till the closing stages of the game.

They even took the lead before Uni equalised late in the first half and then completed the turn around in the second period.

Uni threatened first through Courtnee Vine and then soon after with Mackenzie Hawkesby.

But it was a defensive error which the home side pounced on.

Ash Crofts was presented with a gift in the 17th minute before taking a touch and blasting beyond Newbon with the ball clipping the under side of the bar on it’s way in.

Only 10 minutes later though, all the Spartans good work came undone as Clare Wheeler was brought down in the box.

Vine stepped up and made no mistake with her penalty, finding the bottom right corner.

The second period started much the same way as the second with Uni looking to break down a resolute Spartans defence.

It was Crofts that almost had the Spartans back in front but Newbon made a fine save.

Alex Epakis turned to the bench and threw on Stephanie Augoustis.

It’d be the substitute that would find the next goal, latching onto a fine ball from Vine before rounding. Dumont and playing the ball into the back of the net.

Only a minute later and Augoustis had her second, tapping into an empty net after a square ball from Hawkesby.

There would be no change to the scoreline for the remainder of the clash but definitely a disappointing result for Saliba’s side after all the good effort they put in.


NWS Koalas 2-2 Illawarra Stingrays

The Illawarra Stingrays travelled to Christie Park on Sunday to take on the North West Sydney Koalas.

The home side hit the front mid-way through the second half after a scoreless first 45 minutes.

Sophie Harding crossed from the right as Caitlin Cooper lost her bearing and finished beyond her own keeper.

Shortly after it was two, this time Deborah-Anne De La Harpe tapped in the rebound after Morgan Roberts’ effort came back off the bar.

The Koalas seemed to be cruising before Hannah Beard bundled the ball home with nine minutes left on the clock.

It was the captain Michelle Carney though who would secure the Stingrays a point, capitalising on some questionable Koalas defending.


Macarthur Rams 0-2 Northern Tigers

Champions Macarthur Rams welcomed the Northern Tigers to Lynwood Park on Sunday.

The Rams were expected to come away with all three points in this one with little questions asked.

But Daisy Arrowsmith and her Tigers had different ideas.

Arrowsmith first put her side in front before bagging her brace 15 minutes from the end with an end to end superb move, securing a major victory for the Tigers.

This result will give the Tigers confidence moving forward while the Rams go back to the drawing board.


FNSW Institute 2-3 Sydney Olympic

Valentine Sports Park played host to the FNSW Institute and Sydney Olympic in what was a thriller.

It was Olympic who hit the front on 21 minutes as Teresa Polias’ shot came off Sarah Yatim before hitting the back of the net.

Polias turned villain shortly after, scoring a freak own goal to level the scores at 1-1.

Sheridan Gallagher then had the Institute in front with a neat header 10 minutes before the break.

But it’d be Susan Phonsongkham who’d come back to haunt her former club, scoring two second half goals, including a late penalty.

It means Olympic go two from two in a perfect start to life in the top tier.


North Shore Mariners 2-4 Manly United

The North Sydney derby made it’s way to Sydney’s west at Jensen Park as the North Shore Mariners and Manly United faced off.

It was Manly that would go into half time leading though, 2-1 in front.

They controlled the second period and managed to hold out till full time, taking all three points with a 4-2 victory.

Remy Siemsen was the star of the show, marking her return to the United line-up with a hat-trick while Claudia Cholakian got the other.

For the Mariners, Gab Marzano and Jordan Evans got their goals.


Emerging Jets 2-4 Bankstown City

At Lake Macquarie Football Facility, the Emerging Jets took on Bankstown City.

Steph Ambrose had Bankstown in front on 22 minutes before Renee Poutney had the Jets level after somehow getting the ball into the back of the net.

Mary Fowler had Bankstown back in the lead with a neat finish to make it 2-1.

Only minutes later it was 3-1 as Fowler had her second, pouncing on an error from the Jets defence.

Hannah Jones then had the Jets back in the game, pulling a goal back in the second half.

Amy Dahdah would secure all three points for Bankstown late on with a penalty to make it 4-2.

-By NPL NSW Women’s writer Nikola Pozder