Round 14 Review – NPL NSW Women’s


Every team found the back of the net in round 14 of the NPL NSW Women’s competition in another high scoring week of football.

Blacktown Spartans 1-1 Northern Tigers

There was no winner at Blacktown Football Park on Sunday afternoon as the Blacktown Spartans and Northern Tigers played out a 1-1 draw.

Maddie Bart scored her eighth goal of the season early in the first half to give the league leaders the lead before a late Olivia Price goal saved the day for the home team.

Having lost their first game after a nine-match unbeaten run, David Saliba needed his girls in orange to step up.

In the other dug out, Jason Eagar’s team has taken the competition by storm and knew a victory here would knock one of the Tigers’ opponents out of the Premiership race.

It was the away side that had the better of the early exchanges and their pressure payed in the 14th minute.

Daisy Arrowsmith robbed Keisha Allen of possession near the by line before squaring the ball up for Isabella Foletta.

Foletta’s effort looked to be set for the back of the net but a block had the ball at the feet of the in form Bart who made no mistake with the finish.

Ash Crofts should’ve done better with a chance nine minutes later but she couldn’t bring the ball under control following a free kick.

Annabelle Dazczko was next to go close, also getting onto the end of a set piece but she couldn’t direct her header on target.

In the 60th minute Arrowsmith had the chance to make it to but Keisha Allen made up for her earlier error to make an outstanding challenge.

A minute later Crofts tried her luck at the other end but her shot went just off target.

With the points set for North Turramurra, Olivia Price would have the final say.

Price picked up the ball on the edge of the area on the left, dribbled in and let fly with a spectacular effort, giving Eliza Campbell no chance.

Ash Crofts had one final chance to become a hero but she sent her free kick onto Eastern Road.

Illawarra Stingrays 2-3 Macarthur Rams

The Macarthur Rams took a massive three points from JJ Kelly Park with victory against the Illawarra Stingrays.

Norm Boardman’s side took an early lead with an unstoppable finish by Nikola Orgill.

Emma Ralston then doubled the Rams’ advantage with a neat finish beyond Trudy Burke.

Michelle Carney then took advantage of confusion in the Rams defence to half the deficit and get the Stingrays back into the match just before half time.

Carney then had a chance to equalise foe the Stingrays from the spot.

Having scored her first attempt, the referee made her re-take it for encroachment and Sham Khamis took full advantage, saving the penalty.

Orgill then had her brace with a fine volley to restore her sides two-goal lead.

The Stingrays were back in the game after Kahlia Hogg beat Khamis with an exquisite free kick.

It was the Rams that held on though for a massive victory.

Emerging Jets 3-2 North Shore Mariners

Grant Lee’s search for points continues as the North Shore Mariners went down 3-2 against the Emerging Jets.

The win for the young Jets side means they’ve distanced themselves from the Mariners and the potential wooden spoon.

It’ll be back to the drawing board for the Mariners in hope of somehow surviving.

Sydney Olympic 1-1 Sydney University

There was much expected from the clash at Peter Moore Field on Sunday afternoon as Sydney Olympic hosted Sydney University.

It took Uni only four minutes to hit the front.

Carla Trimboli swung in a free kick which evaded all and found its way into the back of the net as Jada Whyman could only watch as it bounced over the line.

Who else would bring Olympic level but a player who wore the yellow and blue only a month ago.

With just over 30 minutes on the clock, a poor clearance by Courtney Newbon had the ball at the feet of Mackenzie Hawkesby who shot and found the back of the net in style.

There was no change to the scoreline in the rest of the game.

FNSW Institute 1-5 Manly United

Manly United kept there slim finals hopes alive with a commanding 5-1 victory over the Football NSW Institute.

Chris Williams’ side took a three goal first half lead through Emily Minett, Claudia Cholakian and Hannah Peric.

United rounded up a 5-1 win in the second half with Minett picking up her second and Ally Green getting the other.

Jordan Jasnos picked up the only goal for the home team.

NWS Koalas 2-4 Bankstown City

Bankstown City picked up a surprise victory away at Christie Park against the North West Sydney Koalas in the final game of round 14 to keep any hopes of finals football.

The Lions had the lead in the 12th minute after a wicked Stephanie Ambrose free kick resulted in an own goal.

Minutes later, Princess Ibini was brought down in the box and the Koalas had an opportunity from the spot to equalise.

Ibini stepped up and sent Renee Krstanovska the wrong way to make it 1-1.

Despite their first half dominance, the Koalas couldn’t take the lead before the break.

Only three minutes after the restart, Stefani Skerlevska took advantage of a goal mouth scramble to blast the ball home for the Lions.

Naomi Nguyen almost made it three but her shot was tipped onto the bar by Romina Parraguirre in the 55th minute.

The home side went down the other end with a slick team move, capped off by a calm finish by Ariella Cabezas to fight back once more, 2-2.

From here though it was the Vesna Milivojevic show.

First she found the bottom left corner after a smart pass by Nguyen to the edge of the area in the 73rd minute.

Milivojevic then made the points safe with three minutes to go, getting beyond her defender, before rounding the keeper and sliding the ball into an empty net.

By – Nikola Pozder, NPL NSW Women’s Writer