Futsal Premier League Open Men’s Round 12 and 13 Reviews

1200x630 futsal PL preview and review 20233

If you thought the Futsal Premier League Open Men competition would become predictable as the season entered the double header weekend, have we got news for you!

With just one side in the top four winning twice, Saturday night in particular saw multiple upsets while Boomerangs secured an important result in round 13 Sunday action.

Round 13

Mascot Vipers 7-3 Enfield Allstars

Hitting form at the right time, Mascot Vipers took the competition lead with a victory over Enfield Allstars, Sunday evening.

Another dominant display, they are the only side to pick up maximum points from the long weekend scoring 12 goals across their two games. Leading in this one 6-0 at one point, the result was never in question.

They had the first opportunity in this one on their first possession, Ethan De Melo shooting wide right of the goal. Bruno Pivato responding at the other end soon after.

It was the Vipers who were creating the more chances though with Tom Quilligan and Ethan De Melo regularly proving a goal threat.

The pressure telling with a goal soon after, Daniel Fornito opening the Vipers account after cutting onto his right foot after receiving the ball on the left with the keeper unsighted till late.

Vipers nearly doubling their lead around the 10th minute, Mikah Chilas on the end of a Quilligan break forward.

Enfield Allstars then responding with a good chance of their own, Luiz Lobo slipping it to Sebastian Boffa to his right. Boffa seeing his effort saved well by Sasha Chilas.

The visitor’s goalkeeper Stephen Spirou not to be outdone soon after with a save of his own, denying Ethan De Melo after he played a one-two with Mikah Chilas.

The half ending with a sucker punch with a Vipers second goal, De Melo capitalising on a goalkeeper error finishing into a largely empty net to take us to the 2-0 halftime scoreline.

Mascot Vipers using that opportunity to continue that momentum five minutes into the second half, with De Melo turning provider with Quilligan scoring from close range. 3-0 Vipers.

That lead extended to four soon after, Peter Politis joining in on the fun with both the fourth and fifth goals.

Thomas Quilligan ending the six-goal run with the Vipers final goal with a tidy finish after a lofted Peter Politis cross found him from the right wing.

That wasn’t to say the Allstars weren’t threatening at the other end. Enfield Allstars executing a powerplay well in the final minutes scoring three goals of their own. The first scored cutting in from their right wing.  

Followed soon after with two goals to Peter Grozos. His first coming from a second chance effort after his initial shot was saved. Before a shot from the right wing crept past Sasha Chilas to make it 6-3 Vipers.

A couple of saves from Chilas halting that momentum in the final few minutes. While Mikah Chilas added a late goal to the highlight reel with a crowd-pleasing finish from inside his own half on the left wing. The ball not bouncing before it hit the back of the net to make it 7-3 to the Vipers.

These two could well meet again in the finals, Mascot Vipers concluding their season with a trip to Macarthur. While Enfield Allstars will be looking to bounce back from two defeats against Boomerangs FS in round 14 action

Mountain Majik 5-6 Boomerangs FS

Boomerangs FS kept their survival hopes alive with a massive victory for the club against the then competition leaders Mountain Majik.

With 7 outfield players, the visitors put in a big shift to hold out their hosts holding on to a 5-1 half time lead in the second half. Indeed, coach Nicholas Van Aalst credited his team for an exceptional win under the circumstances after full time.

Benjamin Basser-Silk scoring the first two goals of the game before Elle Darwich stepped up for his side scoring another two before the break, the other going down as an own goal. The Majik scoring one in the first half.

The game then changing as they chased the Boomerangs down, Anthony Haddad leading their charge with four goals alongside an own goal at the other end.

Elle Darwich popping up once more for a decisive Boomerangs goal in the second half to boost their confidence heading into next weekend. 

UTS Northside Futsal Club 3-4 Eastern Suburbs Hakoah Futsal Club

Eastern Suburbs Hakoah bounced back from their Saturday defeat with a victory over UTS Northside away from home.

Like other sides, they were reduced in number but fought valiantly to get their reward with a 4-3 come from behind victory to keep their position in fourth place.

It’s a tough defeat to take for UTS Northside who held the lead on two occasions in this one but ultimately fell to defeat ending their hopes of finals.

They took a 2-0 lead into the break with Grant Lynch and Kyle Devine both scoring goals in the opening quarter hour.

A lead which disappeared in two minutes at the start of the second half. Jonathan Lynch scoring the visitors first with a goal of the season contender, while special praise was saved for Cesar Perego from his coach who defied his age with a tireless performance, scoring his first from a central area.

UTS Northside regaining their advantage through Edward Caspers before the half hour. However, both Eastern Suburbs Hakoah goal scorers scored once again. Lynch matching his first effort on 37 minutes before Perego scored a late winner in the final stages for the 4-3 victory.

Round 12

Macarthur Quake Futsal 3-1 Boomerangs FS

As unlikely a victory as you’ll ever see, Macarthur Quake overcame a numbers advantage for a back against the wall victory over Boomerangs FS.

With just six available players throughout, the Quake dug deep with keeper Liam Polinsky the standout while his teammates scored two second half goals at the other end. The win extending the gap between these two sides in the club championship heading into Sunday action.

Conor Slater gave them a lead early in the second half before Diego Goni and Alexander Euripidou joined him on the scoresheet for the 3-1 victory.

For much of this one, it looked like being one of those days for Boomerangs FS and so it turned out to be. Missing a penalty in the second half, they were able to equalise through Nicholas Dahl soon after but they couldn’t quite go on to claim a victory. An injury to Sebastain Arrantz denting their chances.

Eastern Suburbs Hakoah Futsal Club 3-6 Mascot Vipers

Mascot Vipers took Heffron Centre bragging rights with a 6-3 win against Eastern Suburbs Hakoah, Saturday evening.

If you take away a short period in and around the second half, the Vipers were in control in this one. Establishing a three-goal lead in the opening ten minutes through goals to Peter Politis, Daniel Fornito and Yianni Plataniotis, they would then go on to secure the game in the final quarter hour.

Peter Politis scoring his second goal to make it 4-2 before Thomas Quilligan and Mikah Chilas added a fifth and sixth.

Summed up as a off day, Eastern Suburbs Hakoah struggled against their neighbours, James Reed and Lucas Brandow Vidal scoring to bring it back to 3-2 at one point but they couldn’t draw level. They’ll look to bounce back against UTS Northside, Sunday.

Dural Warriors 7-4 Mountain MIajik Futsal Club

Dural Warriors kept their finals hopes alive with a round 12 victory over Mountain Majik in their final home game.

It’s the first time in which the Dural Warriors have beaten a top four side this season, the Warriors bouncing back from a round 11 defeat in style.

They outscored their opponents 7-1 in the second half of this one with Ahmed and Hamza Sweedan both scoring two goals each, while Joshua Montgomery, Cameron Philp and Zachary Sparkes also found the back of the net. They will be looking to show their teeth once again when they take on Campbelltown City Quake away from home.

There have been warning signs that this has been coming for the Majik. They were going through the motions in this one with a 3-0 then 4-1 lead. Jett Mccue-Shore opened the scoring in the 2nd minute before Christopher Barbera, Anthony Haddad and Jordan Guerreiro joined in. The Majik conceding seven from that point on falling to their first loss in seven.

UTS Northside Futsal Club 3-2 Enfield Allstars

Something was definitely in the water Saturday night! UTS Northside the third side to knock off a top four side triumphing 3-2 over Enfield Allstars.

A Michael Borg brace led them to the win on their return home after seven straight away games. The result giving them an outside chance of making semi-finals before hosting fellow contenders Eastern Suburbs Hakoah 24 hours later.

All five goals in this one came in the second half with the hosts getting the jump opening up a three-goal lead, Michael Borg scoring the first and third goal with a Stefano Rossello goal sandwiched in between.

The Allstars threatening to draw things level late with Luiz Lobo and Shervin Adeli finding the back of the net in the final ten minutes. UTS Northside holding on for a 3-2 victory, their third of the season.

Macarthur Quake forfeited their R13 game against Dural Warriors.

By Justin Smith