Round 18 Review – League One Men’s

MicrosoftTeams-image (8)

A midweek round to remember!

The FNSW League One Men’s competition didn’t disappoint with some thrilling action across Tuesday and Wednesday nights in round 18 action.

Our match of the round saw Hakoah strike late to beat Dulwich Hill, while we also have a bonus match report of a top four clash elsewhere. 

Match of the Round review: Hakoah FC 3-1 Dulwich Hill

An important win to keep pace with teams above, Hakoah FC took out a 3-1 victory over Dulwich Hill at Hensley Athletic Field.

Against a ten man visiting side, the hosts had to be patient for a long period of this one before scoring twice late to secure the victory.

There were signs that this one wasn’t going to go the way of the visitors early with the hosts opening the game in style inside the first five minutes. Nicholas Drummond scoring a goal for the highlight reel from range. His strike giving the keeper no chance as it headed for the left side of the target.

Things seemingly going from bad to worse shortly after for Dully. A quick break forward from a defensive set piece catching them out with Dylan Lamour taking down Ginjiro Chiba in the 8th minute.

The hosts going on to create a couple of half chances before an unlikely equaliser came at the other end. Hakoah coach Craig Sharpley going on to praise a gallant defensive display from his opponents post match.

That equaliser coming from the spot, Steve Kuzmanovski winning the penalty with some fancy footwork which gave Daniel Fornito the chance to convert. Fornito placing his shot low into the bottom right corner.

From there the game played out as you would expect, the team down to ten sitting in a low block with the emphasis on Hakoah to break them down with both Drummond and Jayden Tran having notable efforts before the break. Drummond’s saved at the near post in the 24th minute while Tran chipped his effort over the bar.

At the other end, Dulwich Hill were creating some moments for themselves with a couple of early second half chances falling their way. First from the set piece before a deflected shot from Fornito inside the area caused Hakoah some anxiety just after the hour mark. Goncalo Paradanta playing a role in setting up that chance.

While Hakoah nearly had Samuel Young to thank for their second, his high floated ball to the back post finding the head of Drummond who couldn’t direct his header on target with 25 minutes remaining.

Drummond once again their main threat with their best chance of the second half coming in the 67th minute. The ball falling to him just inside the area, his shot tantalisingly close to finding the target.

Keeping the pressure on their visitors, they finally broke through with ten minutes remaining. Substitute Cam Philpot with a crucial contribution playing a lofted ball through for Ginjiro Chiba to finish one one one into the bottom right corner.

Chiba then turning provider for the third goal. Played through by Samuel Young, he unselfishly squared the ball to youngster Eli Sheard who finished from close range.

Hakoah claiming an important win retaking third position with results elsewhere while Dulwich Hill next face Mt Druitt Town Rangers away from home which looks like another tough game.

Hakoah FC 3 (Drummond 5’, Chiba 80’, Sheard 88’)

Dulwich Hill 1 (Fornito 19’)


Bankstown City 2-3 Mt Druitt Town Rangers

Mt Druitt Town Rangers took away a valuable three points from their round 18 clash with Bankstown City at Jensen Park.

If you look up the definition of a game of two halves, this game could well be used as an example, Mt Druitt Town Rangers creating three moments of quality in the first half to take a three-goal lead into the break before Bankstown City fought back.

The visitors got off to a perfect start with Andre Martins finding the back of the net six minutes in. Martins heading home from a Daniel Wong set piece on the right to give them a 1-0 lead.

At the other end, it was clear that Mabior Garang was going to be a headache for the Mt Druitt defence drifting out wide on the regular.

However the visitors would be the side to extend the advantage on the half hour. A build up down the right side eventually making its way central for Daniel Wong to score with a superb strike from 25 yards.

It was shortly after that when the game turned and became an open ended affair. Mabior Garang having a shot saved from a position on the left hand side of the box saved by Dylan Niski. Niski a good shout for player of the match.

Once again however, the Town Rangers had an answer and they took their lead to three with ten minutes left in the half. Andre Martins once again scoring from a corner this time from the left wing. 3-0 Mt Druitt Town Rangers

How the game changed from there however with Bankstown City taking the ascendancy. An early penalty in the second half giving them a route back in. Chris Payne making no mistake with his finish into the right side of the net.

The second half a succession of chances as they peppered the Town Rangers goal. A couple of big chances for Garang coming shortly before their second goal. In which Chris Payne doubled his account with a composed finish after finding space outside his marker on the left.

Mt Druitt Town Rangers would just about do enough for the three points though with Dylan Niski making a crucial save and Tom Whiteside heading the ball off the line late in the contest.

They remain at the top after the midweek set of fixtures, next facing Dulwich Hill this weekend. While Bankstown City’s run of victories comes to an end, they next play SD Raiders at the same venue.

Bankstown City 2 (Payne 48’ 67‘)

Mt Druitt Town Rangers 3 (Martins 5’ 34’, Wong 30‘)

Bulls FC Academy 1-2 Blacktown Spartans

Potentially one of the shock results of the season so far, Blacktown Spartans dented Bulls FC Academy’s hopes of finishing top with a 2-1 win at Sydney United Sports Centre.

The return of Aedon Kyra for the Spartans couldn’t have come at a better time for the visitors who scored two goals in and around the half time break before Bulls FC Academy fought back in the second half.

Despite defeat, it was a good learning experience for the academy side who had to work hard to break their opponents down. While the Spartans had a different kind of threat which led to their first goal. A set piece chance cleared off the line before Suleyman Bangura found Angus Chance with a cross from the right.

Bulls responding soon after hitting the post before the halftime whistle concluding a fairly even first half.Spartans however found their second after 55 minutes, Angus Chance securing his brace taking advantage of a rebound which fell to him against the run of play. The rest of the second half playing out with the hosts applying pressure at the other end with Mason Wells scoring a consolation with just over 15 minutes left.

Bulls FC Academy next face Dunbar Rovers Saturday night, while Blacktown Spartans take on Bonnyrigg White Eagles in round 19 action.

Bulls FC Academy 1 (Wells 73’)

Blacktown Spartans 2 (Chance 43’ 57’)

SD Raiders 3-0 Nepean FC

Could this be the result which springboards SD Raiders forward? They picked up a 3-0 victory against Nepean FC despite being reduced to ten men.

It’s a seventh win for the season for Goran Ljuboja’s side who move into 9th position on 24 points. While the loss keeps Nepean in 15th, with a big three games coming up for them starting this weekend.

Despite a good start from the hosts in this one, they were reduced to ten inside ten minutes. Michael Figueira adjudged to have handled the ball outside his area. It didn’t take long for them to readjust though with the Raiders scoring first in the 24th minute.

Sebastian Malfara scoring a memorable individual goal picking up the ball on halfway before beating a few players and finding the top corner. A lead which they doubled in first half injury time through Judah Cleur, Cleur heading home inside the 18 yard box.

As expected, it was Nepean FC who then went searching for a goal, on top of proceedings for a good chunk of the second half. However their is always a risk that could lead to conceding and SD Raiders found a third on the break through Noah Chianese. The hosts then managing to see the game out.

They next face Bankstown City in an important game for their opponents, while Nepean go up against Inter Lions at home before an important away game against Dunbar next week.

SD Raiders 3 (Malfara 24’, Cleur 47’, Chianese 58’))

Nepean FC 0

UNSW FC 2-0 Dunbar Rovers

Continuing their rise up the table, UNSW FC picked up their fifth victory in seven league games prevailing over Dunbar Rovers 2-0 at the Village Green.

The hosts were largely in control of this one with the victory temporarily putting them into fifth position, while Dunbar Rovers remain seated at the bottom of the table.

UNSW did have to bide their time in this one however with their first goal coming early in the second half. Gabriel Lopez scoring their first three minutes into the second half. Lopez continuing his run forward with a cross from the left headed down by Kevin Lopes into his path.

That lead doubled midway through the second half from a corner. Matias Da Silva Santos scoring directly from said corner on the left side. While it’s also important to note their defensive efforts as well, this the second clean sheet in a row.

They face Northern TIgers this weekend in our match of the round. While Dunbar Rovers next take on Bulls FC Academy, Saturday night.

UNSW FC 2 (Lopez 48’, Da Silva Santos 65’)

Dunbar Rovers 0

Macarthur Rams 1-0 Canterbury Bankstown

Macarthur Rams ended their losing streak with a narrow 1-0 victory over Canterbury Bankstown at Lynwood Park, Wednesday evening.

Breaking a five game losing streak stretching back to the end of April, the victory gives the Rams some important breathing room over the bottom two, while it was a second straight defeat for Canterbury Bankstown who slide down to 7th.

The key moment in this one came late on with substitute William Provino scoring the decisive goal in the 85th minute, 24 hours after scoring in the 20’s Tuesday night.

A boost to the Rams hopes going forward, they next face Hakoah FC this Saturday afternoon, while Canterbury Bankstown take on Rydalmere Lions away from home.

Macarthur Rams 1 (Provino 85’)

Canterbury Bankstown 0

Inter Lions 1-1 Rydalmere Lions

Inter Lions snapped their losing streak with a hard earned point from their meeting with Rydalmere Lions at Majors Bay Reserve.

After a tough week in which illness infiltrated the squad, Inter Lions were able to claw this one back after conceding first in the 74th minute, the result also extending the unbeaten run of Rydalmere Lions.

Like another game on Tuesday night, this one was a game of two halves with Rydalmere shading proceedings in the first half creating two good chances before Inter Lions came back strong after the break.

The introduction of Daniel Georgievski and Nicholas Paras key to that turnaround. Despite this however, Rydalmere were to score first with Dillan Kahale finding the back of the net with just over a quarter hour remaining, the visitors striking on the counter.

A lead which lasted nine minutes before Inter Lions managed a response through Owen Duke, the hosts not able to add to that despite creating chances right up untill the referees whistle.

Inter Lions next face Nepean FC away from home, while Rydalmere Lions host Canterbury Bankstown in round 19 action, this Saturday evening.

Inter Lions 1 (Duke 83’)

Rydalmere Lions 1 (Kahale 74’)


-By Justin Smith