NSW Premier League Round 7 Review


Aytek Genc?s Blacktown City scored twice, once on either side of half-time, to take a single-hold on top-spot, in anticipation of next weekend?s showdown with the returning Marconi Stallions who move into second-spot following their win at Bankstown City.
A Tolgay Ozbey penalty late in the first-half, followed by Mitchell Long?s fine lobbed effort over Phillip Zabaks early in the second period, sealed Blacktown City FC the 2-0 win.
Marconi Stallions moved into second-spot with a hard fought defeat of Bankstown City Lions at Jensen Park. Mitchell Malia?s ?go ahead? goal for the Stallions arrived after only 3? minutes of play, though the Lions did draw level prior to the break to go in at half-time at 1-1; the goal courtesy of Robbie Mileski. After the break, Marconi showed their superiority with a solid display as Jason Naidovski?s free-kick and Matthew Gordon?s late strike rounded out the 3-1 win.
Sydney United returned to third-spot following their 3-1 defeat of Sutherland Sharks. The Reds didn?t have everything their own way as Sutherland took the lead inside of 3? minutes courtesy of Panni Nikas – returning to the Sharks following his massively successful stint at the Central Coast Mariners. Despite the early set-back, the Reds were deservedly on level terms by the 12? minute as in-form striker Elsid Barkhousir latched onto Mirjan Pavlovic?s ?square pass? to slot home with aplomb. Ante Tomic then had the home crowd on their feet with his fine effort sneaking inside Nathan Denham?s upright, before Barkhousir added a third shortly after the break to seal the points for David Zdrilic?s men.
At Bicentennial Park South, Rockdale City Suns squandered a one-goal lead in the last minute of normal time to share the points with West Sydney Berries. The Suns took the lead via a superb Marino Musumeci strike on 72? minutes before combating a Berries onslaught until the 90? minute. The pressure from the visitors was too much for the Suns to handle in the end as John Tsironis was on the spot to convert from close-range after Dimitri Zaklias? initial effort rebounded off the post.
At Cromer Park, South Coast Wolves caused a major upset by defeating Manly United FC. An Adrian Karakolevski strike midway through the second-half was enough to seal the deal for the Wolves. In a somewhat dour contest, Manly United squandered chances late in the match to take at least a point, the win sending the Wolves up to seventh-spot on the League ladder.
In the battle of the bottom-two placed teams on the ladder, A.P.I.A.-Leichhardt Tigers brought some delight to their supporters, yet further despair to their Sydney Olympic counterparts, as the Tigers secured a 3-1 victory at Leichhardt Oval ? their first win in 2010. Mark Byrnes and Nick Rizzo had the Tigers ahead at the break, before Chris Triantis re-opened the contest with his 70? minute penalty for Sydney Olympic. In a rather lackluster display by Sydney Olympic, their small hopes of salvaging a point from the match ended on 76? minutes as Stephen Kayes added a third for the Tigers.
-By Joseph Carlucci